Toy Story 4 | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Toy Story 4

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So is it safe to say that the marketing campaign for TS4 has been...less than stellar?

So you're doing a fourth film to a series which most people felt ended perfectly at the third one...
You put the first teaser out, and you not only got people asking "Why?", but it's buried by the trailer release of another film. (Detective Pikachu)
You scramble and put another teaser out, and it's not really moving anything.
A little while later, you post on just about every official twitter account you own that Bo Peep is back, which comes off as desperate with how many places you're posting it to at once.

An now, you hype up another teaser that'll play after the Super Bowl. Four hours later after one of the most boring SB's in a long while, you release this...

I would legitimately fire people in charge of marketing over this. For a film where you really need to prove this is a good film, they're not doing a good job at all.

So is it safe to say that the marketing campaign for TS4 has been...less than stellar?

So you're doing a fourth film to a series which most people felt ended perfectly at the third one...
You put the first teaser out, and you not only got people asking "Why?", but it's buried by the trailer release of another film. (Detective Pikachu)
A little while later, you post on just about every official twitter account you own that Bo Peep is back, which comes off as desperate with how many places you're posting it to at once.

An now, you hype up another teaser that'll play after the Super Bowl. Four hours later after one of the most boring SB's in a long while, you release this...

I would legitimately fire people in charge of marketing over this. For a film where you really need to prove this is a good film, they're not doing a good job at all.

I don't know that I would go that far, but I definitely believe the marketing has yet to justify the movie's need to exist. If you're going to come back after the perfect ending of 3, you better have a really compelling, dynamic, undeniably-exciting hook. I'm not seeing that in any of the campaign for 4. So far, anyway.

Reactions: tankart150

Do they really need to prove anything, though, to the general public? Not the fanboys -- the harried single mom who just wants to take little Bratleigh to the theater? They're gonna do fine with that crowd, which is really the one driving the dollars here. As far as the advertising goes, it's been fine so far from where I sit, but I'm a huge K/P fan, and everything they've done in the teasers so far has been gold.

Reactions: tankart150
Not liking anything I've seen of this so far but as we all know, Pixar trailers are usually terrible while the films are fantastic.

Reactions: RevFreako
I think the first teasers for THE INCREDIBLES and WALL-E are excellent, and the movies actually pay that off by being some of Pixar's finest work.

But yeah, in general, they don't cut the best trailers. I remember basically dreading INSIDE OUT because of the advertising, but it turned out to be one of their very best.

I think it might be because it's often difficult to really sell the emotional and nuanced aspects of these stories, so they lean on the comedy, which is much easier to package into a conventional animated trailer template.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
its a new toy story movie...the movie could repeat the plot of the first movie and still make a huge profit.

Unless people come out and say how surprisingly good this is, I think I'm going to skip this. 3 was the perfect ending for the franchise. All of the marketing for this just screams, "Hey! GIVE US MORE OF YOUR MONAAYYHH!!"

Unfortunately I know many who are hyped for this and all the live action remakes.:puke:

So... did anyone catch the new, full length trailer? Not sure what all those other teasers were, but this movie now has me VERY interested.