Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Six Flags Magic Mountain

Good to see supports finally arriving. I had a brief chat with Neal (Thurman), and he said WCR is still on target for a mid/late July opening. The issue was with Premier Rides, not the park. But the ride was never intended to open before mid summer anyway. Crazanity is still considered the park's "new" attraction. And it's true, Crazanity hasn't even been open a full year yet, yet people are freaking out that WCR won't open just eight months later lol.

I still don't understand why Six Flags keeps having new capex open late. If you miss Memorial Day for a new attraction you've missed a large chunk of the summer crowds. Late July is way too late in the season, even for a year round park. And I've heard this is mostly because they don't allocate the budget until after the first of the year in most cases so construction doesn't begin until January for most of their new attractions.

^ That is part of it. Also SF notoriously waits till the last minute to green light projects, forcing parks to file planning permits at the last minutes. The red tape involved in permits and zoning takes forever. For some reason the current leadership is very slow at okaying a new project, and has to go through so many hoops before they okay it.

I've received word of Green Lantern being removed this season. Can anyone else confirm?
Helle-Freakin'-Lujah!

That may be why they didn't make a big deal about WCR being SFMM's 20th coaster as they figured GL would be on the chopping block. That means our sought-after mega coaster can still be ourbig 20th! :clap:

But screw that piece-of-crap. One of the worst coasters ever, easily. Good-bye and good riddance.

Though I would think that there isn't enough space to put any mega coaster, unless they rip out Viper.

I could see a flat replacing GL, not another coaster.

The two mentions of this I saw were a few isolated posters on another theme park forum (which shall remain nameless), and Screamscape.

However, I can say that at an in person park event about 3-ish months ago, where selected people were allowed to take a look at the WCR construction site and ask questions, it was stated pretty emphatically by the management that GL would again reopen, despite rumors to the contrary. It was said on two separate occasions.

Obviously, plans can change. All I can say is that late last year, they had no intention of removing it. And that maybe don't get your hopes up too high until it's heard from a credible source.

I, for one, actually don't hate that ride. But I do understand why others do hate it. I think I actually happen to be of just the correct body proportions that the ride isn't as uncomfortable for me as it is on most others. Or I just have a high tolerance of pain. Possibly a bit of both. :)

I do know the reason why it is still standing and it is not for the sakes of keeping the coaster count up. However I do know that it is a contained problem that I am not at the liberty of discussing here, but I would see it making sense for GL to be removed depending the direction their "contained problem" goes.

If it does go, would love to see an air race there.

I do know the reason why it is still standing and it is not for the sakes of keeping the coaster count up. However I do know that it is a contained problem that I am not at the liberty of discussing here, but I would see it making sense for GL to be removed depending the direction their "contained problem" goes.

If it does go, would love to see an air race there.

Seems like your implying legal issues surrounding the ride. Perhaps MM is waiting to see how a certain lawsuit turns out.

Best to just rip out the ride & put a badass flat there.

I was at SFMM on the 15th of this month. Lots of digging in the new ride area, jet stream drained completely, looking filthy full of trash and riding ninja over it was really sad to be fair. I'm an old ninja fan, I find it really fun, but it used to be wonderful getting a blast of spray from the ride, trees, etc. Now it's like riding it through a war zone. At any rate, saw "parts" of the ride structure set aside.

I have heard rumblings about some sort of lawsuit about GL, but I don't know if it's true or have any specifics. It would make sense if it has to remain up until a lawsuit is settled, if that is the case. But any conformation or details about this possibility have been very scarce and largely speculative.

Well, apparently plans did change. Screamscape is reporting word directly from management that they will be removing GL after all. At the moment, no timeline was given nor any possible replacement (nor any reasons). But it will not be reopening.