The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hollywood | Page 260 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hollywood

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It is very busy today, but the high wait times for Forbidden Journey are partially because of an extensive downtime. The ride was down for, like, four hours today.

I really just cant see Diagon coming now, feels too late. Something else from the Wizzarding World? Hell yes! But maybe something based on Fantastic Beasts.

If FB goes into the new Florida park I feel it's highly likely we get some of that on the West Coast.

I really just cant see Diagon coming now, feels too late. Something else from the Wizzarding World? Hell yes! But maybe something based on Fantastic Beasts.
Agreed! I loved Diagon Alley when I visited Orlando a few years ago, but I absolutely, 100% do NOT want it in Hollywood. I think USH needs something unique to bring in the crowds, rather than a ported version of a land that would be nearly a decade old by the time the Hollywood version is completed.

Guess I'm in the minority... even if it's old news, I'd personally still love to have DG here. The environment is so immersive, I really don't care if it's a copy. And who knows, after all this time, they may find small ways to change and/or upgrade it a bit to make it a bit different (after all, our Hogsmead is, in my opinion, actually a slight improvement over Orlando).

That said, I can totally understand the other side of the argument to not have it, or another side property in the same universe.

Reactions: HPFred and SOCAL110
Guess I'm in the minority... even if it's old news, I'd personally still love to have DG here. The environment is so immersive, I really don't care if it's a copy. And who knows, after all this time, they may find small ways to change and/or upgrade it a bit to make it a bit different (after all, our Hogsmead is, in my opinion, actually a slight improvement over Orlando).

That said, I can totally understand the other side of the argument to not have it, or another side property in the same universe.

Agreed. Since most people aren't bi-coastal and usually stick to the resort that's closer, I don't find clones to be a problem.

I've never been, but from what I've heard from many posters is that it's the most immersive land in the world. That's obviously going to change with SWL, but it's not bad to be #2.

I'm not talking about a quality issue here; I loved Diagon Alley when I went to Orlando a few years ago and I can only imagine the improvements they could make on a second go-around. However, from a business standpoint, I think investing in a totally new land makes more sense.

It's hard to believe, but WWoHP actually underperformed when it opened in Hollywood. It lead to a spike in attendance that we can still see today, but they were clearly anticipating a much larger turnout. They designed, commissioned, and installed about half a dozen machines to distribute Time Return Tickets for when the land became too full and I'm fairly certain they only ever used them once, for an hour, as a test. They invested a non-trivial amount of money in preparing for crowds that just never materialized.

Now, I'm sure that there are many factors that contributed to this poor turnout, but I can't help but think that a big part of it was that the land was not new, not by a long shot. The one in Orlando opened in 2010 and the one in Japan opened in 2014. By the time the third one opened in Hollywood, guests had been able to visit the Wizarding World for more than half a decade. DA opened in Orlando in 2014, so for USH to follow the same pattern (i.e. opening the Potter expansion four years after phase 1) they would need to open DA in 2020, which we know will not happen. After that, the gap just grows wider and wider.

I would much rather see something unique, that sets the park apart from Orlando, that makes it a nation-wide destination, rather than just a local or west-coast destination. USH will need to up their resort game to accommodate those guests, but that's the direction they should be heading anyway. Personally, I had the idea of a 1920's Wizarding New York themed land. They could do a drop tower ride à la Tower of Terror themed around MaCUSA. They could have the secret Wizarding speakeasy.

I'm not talking about a quality issue here; I loved Diagon Alley when I went to Orlando a few years ago and I can only imagine the improvements they could make on a second go-around. However, from a business standpoint, I think investing in a totally new land makes more sense.

It's hard to believe, but WWoHP actually underperformed when it opened in Hollywood. It lead to a spike in attendance that we can still see today, but they were clearly anticipating a much larger turnout. They designed, commissioned, and installed about half a dozen machines to distribute Time Return Tickets for when the land became too full and I'm fairly certain they only ever used them once, for an hour, as a test. They invested a non-trivial amount of money in preparing for crowds that just never materialized.

Now, I'm sure that there are many factors that contributed to this poor turnout, but I can't help but think that a big part of it was that the land was not new, not by a long shot. The one in Orlando opened in 2010 and the one in Japan opened in 2014. By the time the third one opened in Hollywood, guests had been able to visit the Wizarding World for more than half a decade. DA opened in Orlando in 2014, so for USH to follow the same pattern (i.e. opening the Potter expansion four years after phase 1) they would need to open DA in 2020, which we know will not happen. After that, the gap just grows wider and wider.

I would much rather see something unique, that sets the park apart from Orlando, that makes it a nation-wide destination, rather than just a local or west-coast destination. USH will need to up their resort game to accommodate those guests, but that's the direction they should be heading anyway. Personally, I had the idea of a 1920's Wizarding New York themed land. They could do a drop tower ride à la Tower of Terror themed around MaCUSA. They could have the secret Wizarding speakeasy.

I thought the whole under performance thing at USH was a myth.

From what I recall, the suits at Universal were pretty satisfied with the revenue & attendance increases.

after all, our Hogsmead is, in my opinion, actually a slight improvement over Orlando).
The bigger walkways and better Hippogriff is nothing to sneeze at. I’d relish both of those things in Orlando.
Then again, with the new potter coaster opening at UOR, enjoy that crown while you can. :)

I've never been, but from what I've heard from many posters is that it's the most immersive land in the world. That's obviously going to change with SWL, but it's not bad to be #2.
Going to disagree here.
When you have Diagon + Hogsmeade (incl. new coaster) with the Hogwarts Express combining them, there’s no question which land is better fleshed out and more immersive.

Until Star War’s hotel happens and an expansion, I don’t see that changing.

Reactions: HPFred and Mad Dog
The bigger walkways and better Hippogriff is nothing to sneeze at. I’d relish both of those things in Orlando.
Then again, with the new potter coaster opening at UOR, enjoy that crown while you can. :)

Going to disagree here.
When you have Diagon + Hogsmeade (incl. new coaster) with the Hogwarts Express combining them, there’s no question which land is better fleshed out and more immersive.

Until Star War’s hotel happens and an expansion, I don’t see that changing.

No offense, but SWL looks like it blows both Hogsmeade & Diagon out of the water.

This is coming from someone who LOVES Hosgmeade/Hogwarts castle.

We shall see in 4 months time.

Reactions: Andysol
No offense, but SWL looks like it blows both Hogsmeade & Diagon out of the water.

This is coming from someone who LOVES Hosgmeade/Hogwarts castle.

We shall see in 4 months time.
Yeah but what your missing is that Diagon Alley already blows Hogsmeade out of the water and it’s really not even close. Not even Hollywood’s, which is the best version of Hogsmeade, is anywhere near DA.

Diagon Alley is really on its own level and Hogsmeade a distant second and Hogsmeade is spectacular no doubt but Diagon is Olympus.

If SWGE can surpass Diagon then I’m not sure what to expect but I’m all for it.

Yeah but what your missing is that Diagon Alley already blows Hogsmeade out of the water and it’s really not even close. Not even Hollywood’s, which is the best version of Hogsmeade, is anywhere near DA.

Diagon Alley is really on its own level and Hogsmeade a distant second and Hogsmeade is spectacular no doubt but Diagon is Olympus.

If SWGE can surpass Diagon then I’m not sure what to expect but I’m all for it.

Keep in mind, this is what I posted a couple posts back.

I've never been, but from what I've heard from many posters is that it's the most immersive land in the world.

I'm saying DA is GOAT, but that will most likely change with SWL. Obviously, we will know if the land/attractions live up to the hype or not.