Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Hong Kong Disneyland $1.4 Billion Overhaul

Hey, look at that, an opening date. I feel like they’ve been working on this forever.

It did feel like that, especially since it's replacing Buzz and using the same ride vehicles, no?

Thanks to Blog Mickey, we have pictures of the new Ant-Man & The Wasp: Nano Battle attraction...

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Nano Battle Merchandise and Ride Photos Released; Record International Attendance at Hong Kong Disneyland - Blog Mickey

Yup, that's a overlay of Buzz alright. With less AA's so far as they removed Zurg and replaced him with well, not much.

Part of me feels they'll be putting in a whole bunch of screens to make it more like Shanghai's Buzz. But right now they're trading one black light shooter for another.

Thanks to Blog Mickey, we have pictures of the new Ant-Man & The Wasp: Nano Battle attraction...

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Nano Battle Merchandise and Ride Photos Released; Record International Attendance at Hong Kong Disneyland - Blog Mickey

Yup, that's a overlay of Buzz alright. With less AA's so far as they removed Zurg and replaced him with well, not much.

Part of me feels they'll be putting in a whole bunch of screens to make it more like Shanghai's Buzz. But right now they're trading one black light shooter for another.
I mean, it’s what it always was going to be.

True, though it's hard to shake the feeling that for such a bankable universe of IP's, they haven't been taking full advantage of them.
Disneyphiles are often crying about what they could do if Marvel was all their own. Though in reality they haven't built much that's groundbreaking, and what is coming seems underwhelming.

True, though it's hard to shake the feeling that for such a bankable universe of IP's, they haven't been taking full advantage of them.
Yeah. Especially in HKDL where you have Iron Man Experience, which is uses the Star Tours ride system and now Ant-man using the buzz system.

The Avengers E-ticket better be worth it.

Disneyphiles are often crying about what they could do if Marvel was all their own. Though in reality they haven't built much that's groundbreaking, and what is coming seems underwhelming.

Yeah. Especially in HKDL where you have Iron Man Experience, which is uses the Star Tours ride system and now Ant-man using the buzz system.

The Avengers E-ticket better be worth it.

Agreed, since what we got so far is...
Iron Man - S.T. ride system, which is one of the more dated simulator types. A dome would've been fine, perhaps a windowed cabin a la' the former Klingon Encounter from the Star Trek Experience.
GotG: M:B - A overlay of DCA's ToT, though this one looks to be the best effort so far as it looks like it honestly improved the inferior Tower format.
Nano Battle - Overlay of Buzz.
Avengers Coaster in WDSP - Overlay of RnRC, and that was the better version, too!

I'm not necessarily looking for a groundbreaking ride, but more modern rides built from the ground up, less copy/paste overlays.

Agreed, since what we got so far is...
Iron Man - S.T. ride system, which is one of the more dated simulator types. A dome would've been fine, perhaps a windowed cabin a la' the former Klingon Encounter from the Star Trek Experience.
GotG: M:B - A overlay of DCA's ToT, though this one looks to be the best effort so far as it looks like it honestly improved the inferior Tower format.
Nano Battle - Overlay of Buzz.
Avengers Coaster in WDSP - Overlay of RnRC, and that was the better version, too!

I'm not necessarily looking for a groundbreaking ride, but more modern rides built from the ground up, less copy/paste overlays.
Not a whole lot of imagination so far.

Biggest issue is there's no cause and effect to the shooting. Buzz Lightyear had sight gags or activated motion when you successfully hit targets... this just has the little animation on the targets, which gets old quickly.

That said, the motherboard scene is a great use of limited space, and the Zola "boss fight" is an awesome visual with great animation integration. However... just a weird lack of physical motion in terms of props and animatronics. Overall a disappointment.

I understand there’s only so much they can do with a slow ride system, but it would’ve been nice to make it look more lively and interesting.

Yeah it would, Needs some movement, looks less than the standard I expect from Disney.

Lets hope this isn't what they have in mind for Spider-man at DCA!

Biggest issue is there's no cause and effect to the shooting. Buzz Lightyear had sight gags or activated motion when you successfully hit targets... this just has the little animation on the targets, which gets old quickly.

That said, the motherboard scene is a great use of limited space, and the Zola "boss fight" is an awesome visual with great animation integration. However... just a weird lack of physical motion in terms of props and animatronics. Overall a disappointment.
I definitely think the second half of the ride (when you shrink down) is stronger than the first.

If I’m getting it right, these are the same bots that attack you on Iron Man, right? If so, they definitely should not be static in those first few rooms; at least give us some back and forth arm motion or a rotating claw or two.

That said, though, this is still a C-Ticket, and Hong Kong is continuing to receive healthy levels of investment, so I’m not gonna be too hard on it.