Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion | Page 494 | Inside Universal Forums

Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Them not building a foundation around the spike at this point is the only evidence we really need that it’s not coming. I don’t think it’s been in the cards for a long time.

When they never installed brakes at the top of the spike we should’ve had a clue it was never coming. I believe evacuation stairs was the only reason they even would have needed a structure around it in the first place.

Wait, if evacuation stairs was the only reason for the rumored enclosed spike, then it was probably never intended to be enclosed to begin with. The specific coaster product being installed here was not designed with the intention of stopping on the the spike. Intamin has installed this exact system before, and has at least three more installations planned over the next two years. The top of the spike is not an evacuation point.

So unless there was some crazy reason Universal wanted to modify the way this system worked, I don't think the spike was supposed to be enclosed. Or at the very least, I don't think the lack of a holding brake and the need for evacuation stairs are the reason it was cut, it if ever were to exist to begin with.

Brian’s post just reminded me. A few months ago we talked about a new entrance for the ride. We’re we talking about the Merlin Arch or the one off the Hogsmeade path?

I feel like in the concept art, the arch was removed and it was a low half wall.

Wait, if evacuation stairs was the only reason for the rumored enclosed spike, then it was probably never intended to be enclosed to begin with. The specific coaster product being installed here was not designed with the intention of stopping on the the spike. Intamin has installed this exact system before, and has at least three more installations planned over the next two years. The top of the spike is not an evacuation point.

So unless there was some crazy reason Universal wanted to modify the way this system worked, I don't think the spike was supposed to be enclosed. Or at the very least, I don't think the lack of a holding brake and the need for evacuation stairs are the reason it was cut, it if ever were to exist to begin with.
I think a lot of people don't follow coasters as heavily as they follow universal. Even with a holding brake they would not have needed to make it an evacuation point as they have done this element before, with and without a holding brake. Even Gringotts has a similar element and there is no evacuation point and stairs on it.

With a holding brake on the spike, it was probably only considered in early stages, simply because the only reason it would been considered would have been as insurance with the LIM as brakes. Since it would been proven the train can stop before the track switch in a E-stop (which would be automatically triggered if the track dosn't switch in time) the brakes would have been not needed. A example is Expedition Everest because the track spike is so close to the switch it has to stop on the spike (held by drive tires), in a interview with John Wardley he commented how it would have been much better to have more track as rolling up the spike and rolling down instantly is more thrilling. Which is what this coaster shall be doing.
When used it will really freak alot of the public out due to the sudden change in route after going backwards.

Evacuation stairs would not have been required if theres a holding brake on that point, but if there was a brake there would of needed to be some way to evacuate, early gerstlauer euro fighters gained the "thorpe amendment" which was a redesign of the vertical lift hill to alow a platform to be lifted so the ride can be evacuated on the lift (modern ones of that type instead have a anti roll back be magnetic and the lift motor slowly let down so the train moves slowly back down the lift hill)
But worst case senario I know of a ride that if it got evacuated in a certain point requires every guest (58 per train) to be given a harness and steel toe boots and lowed several feet to the ground due to the impracticality of having a evacuation platform in the specific spot (motion table).

been rambling, but the way the coaster will be holding the train at the bottom on the level rather than on the spike even if was chosen early in design is the best option all round

With a holding brake on the spike, it was probably only considered in early stages, simply because the only reason it would been considered would have been as insurance with the LIM as brakes. Since it would been proven the train can stop before the track switch in a E-stop (which would be automatically triggered if the track dosn't switch in time) the brakes would have been not needed. A example is Expedition Everest because the track spike is so close to the switch it has to stop on the spike (held by drive tires), in a interview with John Wardley he commented how it would have been much better to have more track as rolling up the spike and rolling down instantly is more thrilling. Which is what this coaster shall be doing.
When used it will really freak alot of the public out due to the sudden change in route after going backwards.

Evacuation stairs would not have been required if theres a holding brake on that point, but if there was a brake there would of needed to be some way to evacuate, early gerstlauer euro fighters gained the "thorpe amendment" which was a redesign of the vertical lift hill to alow a platform to be lifted so the ride can be evacuated on the lift (modern ones of that type instead have a anti roll back be magnetic and the lift motor slowly let down so the train moves slowly back down the lift hill)
But worst case senario I know of a ride that if it got evacuated in a certain point requires every guest (58 per train) to be given a harness and steel toe boots and lowed several feet to the ground due to the impracticality of having a evacuation platform in the specific spot (motion table).

been rambling, but the way the coaster will be holding the train at the bottom on the level rather than on the spike even if was chosen early in design is the best option all round
At this point I'm thinking it won't hold at all before going up the spike. Potter has a very similar looking setup as the blitz going to Parc Asterix, where the track switch moves while the train is launching. IF it fails to switch, the train would be able to come to a complete stop on the flat section just after the switch.

(@ 24 seconds)

I think a lot of people don't follow coasters as heavily as they follow universal. Even with a holding brake they would not have needed to make it an evacuation point as they have done this element before, with and without a holding brake. Even Gringotts has a similar element and there is no evacuation point and stairs on it.

What about Everest?

Stopped by the park last night on my day off. Here's this, if anyone wanted another look at the drop building. Oh the humanity, right?! :lol:

303bouc.jpg

Don't think trees are an option due to the maintenance garages under the station. An even simpler solution, match the stone of the station and everything will blend in.

303bouc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.