Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios) | Page 215 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

I'm still not sure about this Hondo AA. I have watched this video a couple of times since it was posted, and it still doesn't feel right.
I get that in the real world it makes sense to have a more realistic human like Hondo, but design differs to much from the original. Even in Clone Wars he was thinner and his face was more angular... now he has round cheeks.

They also nailed the AA movement, but thoses dead eyes doesn't help.

Attachments

• 20190228_135205.jpg
    20190228_135205.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20190228_135223.jpg
    20190228_135223.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20190228_135235.jpg
    20190228_135235.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Hondo_Ohnaka-SW_Card_Trader.png
    Hondo_Ohnaka-SW_Card_Trader.png
    620.6 KB · Views: 29
  • image.png
    image.png
    832.2 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: Coasted and Teebin

I'm still not sure about this Hondo AA. I have watched this video a couple of times since it was posted, and it still doesn't feel right.
I get that in the real world it makes sense to have a more realistic human like Hondo, but design differs to much from the original. Even in Clone Wars he was thinner and his face was more angular... now he has round cheeks.

I think the rounded cheeks are likely a necessary component in terms of the robotics. I personally think it looks great, but I do think there's going to be some getting used to since this is the first non-cartoon iteration of the character.

Also, the Rebels character models have always felt a little off to me. The Clone Wars version looks like he has a more heart-shaped face, and that seems to be what they're basing him on.

I'm also willing to give them a little leeway, given that the other attempt to make live action Weequays was not... great.

Weequay.jpeg

Reactions: HPFred and Mike S
My guess for the DHS opening date for Galaxies Edge is the 3rd week of September, cynical side of me says a hurricane will delay the planned opening. Anyway, the length of the line at Disneyland will be is in the land's name, it starts at the edge of the galaxy. DHS will be insane too.

That way that AA shifts its weight is incredible.

Also, the AA Hondo looks older than the animated Hondo. Could time be a factor since SWGE is set during the new trilogy?

I’d actually never seen this character before today as I’m not familiar with the animated series. Is it fair to say most people coming to SWGE will be meeting him for the first time? I agree character integrity is important, but even if he looks a bit different, at least most guests won’t know lol.

Reactions: HPFred and Mike S
Disney’s reaction to UOR’s Hagrid announcement?
Disney's reaction to the Hagrid announcement was the Epcot stuff. Disney got word that Universal was going to release that info from what i've heard so they released something to keep interest in them as well.

I was totally ready to buy a lightsaber until they told me it was $110 for just the hilt. That is highway robbery. Oh well.
If these are top notch, high quality lightsaber's, then it wouldn't be. Total cost will be high if you want it full and complete, but IF (and that's a big if) it's of high quality, then it's priced appropriately. Look anywhere online right now to buy top notch lightsaber's by some third party... all of them run you hundreds of dollars.

Not disputing the cost is a lot, but if the quality is there, then it's priced appropriately... for big Star Wars fans. I'm not quite sure if this price will fly with families, but doesn't Universal charge around $100 for a Hogwarts robe and even more if you want a quidditch broom? I feel like the market is there for the cost, but maybe i'm wrong.

Last edited:
Disney's reaction to the Hagrid announcement was the Epcot stuff. Disney got word that Universal was going to release that info from what i've heard so they released something to keep interest in them as well.

If these are top notch, high quality lightsaber's, then it wouldn't be. Total cost will be high if you want it full and complete, but IF (and that's a big if) it's of high quality, then it's priced appropriately. Look anywhere online right now to by top notch lightsaber's by some third party... all of them run you hundreds of dollars.

Not disputing the cost is a lot, but if the quality is there, then it's priced appropriately... for big Star Wars fans. I'm not quite sure if this price will fly with families, but doesn't Universal charge around $100 for a Hogwarts robe and even more if you want a quidditch broom? I feel like the market is there for the cost, but maybe i'm wrong.

I'm amazed at how much people are willing to spend on souvenirs.

Reactions: HPFred and belloq87
The “quality,” third-party saber hilts are drilled and carved from solid metal. The higher the price, the better the metal. Throwing in more complicated electronics (“crystals”), that add sounds, lighting effects, etc, ups the price even more. A basic, complete, light-up saber is about $120.

The difference between a metal hilt and a plastic one, feel and look-wise, is stunning. In no way do they “feel” like toys.

Been busy all day, but holy crap! As I said a few pages back...this is Disney’s actual response to Potter, and I don’t mean Hagrid. I mean Hogsmede. How many years later?
The amount of thought and theme that has gone into this new land is A+. If the rides deliver...it will be HUGE.

Been busy all day, but holy crap! As I said a few pages back...this is Disney’s actual response to Potter, and I don’t mean Hagrid. I mean Hogsmede. How many years later?
The amount of thought and theme that has gone into this new land is A+. If the rides deliver...it will be HUGE.
It will be Fantastic, no doubt......The only real questions are, will we be able to experience the rides without astronomical waits, and will it be possible time wise, to get repeat rides on the two attractions during a vacation stay. All those on site hotel rooms averaging 3 or 4 people each add up to quite a demand for new rides.

Reactions: SeventyOne
It will be Fantastic, no doubt......The only real questions are, will we be able to experience the rides without astronomical waits, and will it be possible time wise, to get repeat rides on the two attractions during a vacation stay. All those on site hotel rooms averaging 3 or 4 people each add up to quite a demand for new rides.

Well yeah, that’s obviously an issue, and I’m expecting MGM (sorry, habit) will be at capacity many, many, days in the near future. That’s doesn’t mean the themed area will be less than.

Yes, one that is very likely to cause a very soft attendance over the summer and fall.

“Ok”
It won’t matter, even if that’s true. There are still plenty of families that want to see Toy Story Land, and possibly the new Mickey Mouse Ride.
Once again, don’t let your bias get in front of reality.

Is it fair to say most people coming to SWGE will be meeting him for the first time?

I'd say that's more than fair. I consider myself a big, big fan of the SW movies, and I'd never heard of the character until they announced he was the star of the attraction.

If these are top notch, high quality lightsaber's, then it wouldn't be. Total cost will be high if you want it full and complete, but IF (and that's a big if) it's of high quality, then it's priced appropriately. Look anywhere online right now to buy top notch lightsaber's by some third party... all of them run you hundreds of dollars.
The difference between a metal hilt and a plastic one, feel and look-wise, is stunning. In no way do they “feel” like toys.

If Disney is actually going to be using metal components for the saber hilts, I can see the $110 price being (kind of) justified. If it's any other material, I don't think it would warrant such a steep asking price. We'll see what happens.

To me it’s more like this is part 2 and Avatar was part 1 of their response to Potter. I mean, Avatar was announced only a little over a year after Potter opened.

Reactions: natespf
To me it’s more like this is part 2 and Avatar was part 1 of their response to Potter. I mean, Avatar was announced only a little over a year after Potter opened.

Yeah but Pandora isn’t no nearly as intricate. Its basically an alien jungle with two rides and a restaurant. This is so much more.

Reactions: HPFred