Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios) | Page 228 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This will actually help with the crowd crush. People who would have traveled for the opening few weeks/months of the land being opened, will now wait till after RotR is open. Not all will wait, and some will go both times, but this will reduce the crowds some.

That and if the deal I read that said you will basically have to have a FP to get in the land at all. But how many people will miss that one and show up anyway and be royally pissed?

This will actually help with the crowd crush. People who would have traveled for the opening few weeks/months of the land being opened, will now wait till after RotR is open. Not all will wait, and some will go both times, but this will reduce the crowds some.

That and if the deal I read that said you will basically have to have a FP to get in the land at all. But how many people will miss that one and show up anyway and be royally pissed?

From what I have read you will not need a ticket/reservation to get into the land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios only at Disneyland for the first month.

The first three paragraphs of the Disney Parks Blog are speaking about both Disneyland and WDW:

Minutes ago, we shared an exciting announcement many of you have been waiting to hearStar Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is opening ahead of schedule on May 31 at Disneyland Resort in Southern California and August 29 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida.

That’s right – it’s debuting early because of high guest interest in experiencing this new, immersive land. On opening day for phase one, you’ll be able to live your own Star Wars story and take the controls of the most famous ship in the galaxy aboard Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run, sample amazing galactic food and beverages, explore an intriguing collection of merchant shops and more.

And for phase two, opening later this year, will be Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, the most ambitious, immersive and advanced attraction ever imagined that will put guests in the middle of a climactic battle between the First Order and the Resistance and will blur the lines between fantasy and reality. In light of tremendous demand, Disney made the decision to open the land in phases to allow guests to sooner enjoy the one-of-a-kind experiences that make Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge so spectacular.​

Damn, I booked 4 days onsite for for the grand opening thinking I’d be able to ride both rides. Might cancel them now.

Reactions: Coasted
The first three paragraphs of the Disney Parks Blog are speaking about both Disneyland and WDW:

Minutes ago, we shared an exciting announcement many of you have been waiting to hearStar Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is opening ahead of schedule on May 31 at Disneyland Resort in Southern California and August 29 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida.

That’s right – it’s debuting early because of high guest interest in experiencing this new, immersive land. On opening day for phase one, you’ll be able to live your own Star Wars story and take the controls of the most famous ship in the galaxy aboard Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run, sample amazing galactic food and beverages, explore an intriguing collection of merchant shops and more.

And for phase two, opening later this year, will be Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, the most ambitious, immersive and advanced attraction ever imagined that will put guests in the middle of a climactic battle between the First Order and the Resistance and will blur the lines between fantasy and reality. In light of tremendous demand, Disney made the decision to open the land in phases to allow guests to sooner enjoy the one-of-a-kind experiences that make Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge so spectacular.​
To get closer to the truth for the early phased opening , we need to change the blog post from "In light of tremendous demand" to "In light of slackening hotel/vacation packages demand"...;):lol:

God, I can’t imagine the headache of working in guest services while Smuggler’s Run is the only ride open. I wonder how many guests will still make the trek to the park with the main attraction closed?

While ROTR won't be open at the start, i'm still impressed with how early they are getting this land (partially) open by considering we were at one point doubting if they could even finish it by the end of this year. I'll definitely only be headed out to check out the land now only to hang out and look at the land for a bit, though. Or if I magically land a Smuggler's Run FP. My interest main lies within ROTR and with only one ride at opening, I can't even imagine what the lines will be for Smuggler's Run.

A gamble that Disney is making with the phased opening is on their belief that Smuggler's Run is major a crowd-pleaser, because if the guest consensus is that it's "okay," I can easily see guests not feeling like the entire ordeal of getting into the land and onto the attraction was worth the effort.

With two major attractions, though, there's less pressure on any one of them to be spectacular. Now, there's a LOT riding on Smuggler's Run for word-of-mouth and guest satisfaction.

While ROTR won't be open at the start, i'm still impressed with how early they are getting this land (partially) open by considering we were at one point doubting if they could even finish it by the end of this year. I'll definitely only be headed out to check out the land now only to hang out and look at the land for a bit, though. Or if I magically land a Smuggler's Run FP. My interest main lies within ROTR and with only one ride at opening, I can't even imagine what the lines will be for Smuggler's Run.
MAGIC is saying no Fastpasses initially.

Reactions: Nick and Mike S

Maybe they will use the rotr queue as the extended queue for MFSR.

Reactions: HPFred
I find the lack of any discernible news on Mickey a bit worrying as well
The fact that they haven't said anything on it since in quite awhile (didn't even really reveal much of anything at Destination D) is a bit odd, but i'd rather they get it right than open it prematurely. I'm sure we'll hear something over the next few months and most definitely at D23.

I'm not worried about it. If this ends up being the Late fall addition and just switched places with SWGE, then it's really not that big of a deal. Of course I can also see the side of wanting to hold onto it for 2020 so DHS has something to open for next year and then there's a bit of breathing room between SWGE and Mickey, which is then the more frustrating end of things.

Assumption time:

ROTR is likely one of the most complex attractions done, so I assume there are many issues arising.

I figure the team in charge of it are solely focusing on Disneyland, getting it running reliably, troubleshooting etc. As soon as they have that figured out, then the focus goes to DHS. So essentially both will be behind schedule because they are only focusing on one at a time?

Thinking Mickey will open Spring 2020. I think all marketing is Star Wars at this point. They don’t need to blur that line.

Disney just said that they will keep the following SW attractions/shows at DHS open when GESWL opens:
*Star Tours Two
*SW A Galactic Spectacular
*SW; Launch Bay
SW: A Galaxy Far Far Away
So, if you look at this from the perspective of a general public tourist, who isn't aware of all the nuances like we are, DHS is immersive with Star Wars throughout the entire park. Even without ROR open, that's still a hell of a lot Star Wars. Yes, lines for Smugglers will be out of sight, but Disney people are used to that since all of their new attractions have insufferable lines. Since WDW is basically a tourist's park, I don't think the ROR thing will be that big a deal......Now Disneyland might be a different story. They are primarily a locals park and they have less SW stuff, so the lack of ROR at the beginning might be more problematic.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Or they’re going to see 4+ hour lines and people standing shoulder to shoulder and say “We can wait until a year or two from now.”:lol:
That's not how people think. They'll see how pretty the land is, see the lightsaber experience (w/o knowing prices), see the F&B locations, etc and be interested. The last thing people look at in vlogger/PR videos is how long the line. A lot due to it not being highlighted. If you want to stay in good standing with Disney, you don't criticize. So people might say, "The line looks long, but there's plenty to see!". Nobody will say it's not worth it, which will be enough from your average TimTracker viewer or whoever's watching what.

The fact that they are not allowing fast pass is basically proof the system is broken.
The system works fine in MK. It sucks everywhere else because there isn't enough attractions. The system would work if the parks were built out more. The real problem is the parks don't have enough attractions in the system to choose from that allow for it to work as intended.

Last edited:
Reactions: natespf and Mad Dog
By the time the person is in the park and seeing the crazy wait time, it will be too late. Disney will have their money and you have to return for the full experience and do it all over again.

Reactions: natespf
I have a feeling ROTR will be open by grand opening for Hollywood Studios. It’s supposed to be open by the end of summer for Cali.