Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

Honestly, during HHN, I don't notice the murals. I don't think most people do.
I don’t usually notice them but sometimes I do, and I know they are there and it bugs me. The wrost happened last year in the CP SZ when they put out the Grince movie cutout in fron of the kid zone and where you walk out of the CP SZ. To me and I’m sure to other seeing Grinch Christmas stuff took away from that SZ.

I don’t usually notice them but sometimes I do, and I know they are there and it bugs me. The wrost happened last year in the CP SZ when they put out the Grince movie cutout in fron of the kid zone and where you walk out of the CP SZ. To me and I’m sure to other seeing Grinch Christmas stuff took away from that SZ.
Ew, yeah I remember the Grinchmas decorations last year. Horrible during HHN.

I thought The Harvest did probably the best job of any I can remember recently utilizing this area to its fullest. Sure it was just scarecrows, but I actually thought they got creative with the area for the first time in awhile.

I thought The Harvest did probably the best job of any job I can remember recently utilizing this area to its fullest. Sure it was just scarecrows, but I actually thought they got creative with the area for the first time in awhile.
I thought the same thing. Pretty detailed as well. Great atmosphere. One of the better zones there for sure.

I feel like it's only a matter of time till the scarezone area in central park will be moved in front of Mel's or elsewhere. I loved Twisted Tradition, the detail was insane, beautiful scarezone. But I only liked it in September. Come October, it was way too crowded to enjoy.

Last edited:
I thought The Harvest did probably the best job of any job I can remember recently utilizing this area to its fullest. Sure it was just scarecrows, but I actually thought they got creative with the area for the first time in awhile.

It was extremely cool considering the year prior Scarecrow: The Reaping was probably the best original house if not the best house period for 2017.

It was extremely cool considering the year prior Scarecrow: The Reaping was probably the best original house if not the best house period for 2017.

I have to wonder: HoTY is generally awarded to A&D's favorite unless another cast goes above and beyond (I thought Poltergeist was for sure going to get it this year). Given that the casts of Stranger Things houses are going to be working more hours than the other houses, does anything else have a shot at being HoTY as long as the property is around?

I have to wonder: HoTY is generally awarded to A&D's favorite unless another cast goes above and beyond (I thought Poltergeist was for sure going to get it this year). Given that the casts of Stranger Things houses are going to be working more hours than the other houses, does anything else have a shot at being HoTY as long as the property is around?
It wouldn't surprise me if it's Stranger Things again.

It is what it is.

Thought so. An original could have Scarecrow's GSAT ratings and ST2 could probably still get HoTY because of the extra hours alone.
Especially because GSATs don't really matter all that much to HotY.

They're used to figure out if a house "clicked" and if the style, ideas, characters should be revisited.

Which is why I think characters like Nightingales and concepts like Hades haven't returned.

Especially because GSATs don't really matter all that much to HotY.

They're used to figure out if a house "clicked" and if the style, ideas, characters should be revisited.

Which is why I think characters like Nightingales and concepts like Hades haven't returned.

Confused. If HoTY doesn't necessarily mean high GSAT ratings, then "clicked" clearly doesn't mean "resonated with the GP." Are you talking logistically?

Hoping we get some sequels to (original) houses that haven't yet been revisited yet at 30 (In-Between, since it won HoTY!).

Last edited:
Confused. If HoTY doesn't necessarily mean high GSAT ratings, then "clicked" clearly doesn't mean "resonated with the GP." Are you talking logistically?

Hoping we get some sequels to (original) houses that haven't yet been revisited yet at 30 (In-Between, since it won HoTY!).
Guest opinion isn't a major factor in the HotY. It is 80% designer/creator preference.

When I say, "clicked," I mean resonated with guests. That just has nothing to do with HotY. They're two completely different focuses and functions.

Really, the myth of what drives HotY decisions is a remarkable motivator for the performers. That's the only point. It's Whose Line, where the rules are made up and the points don't matter.

Really, the myth of what drives HotY decisions is a remarkable motivator for the performers. That's the only point. It's Whose Line, where the rules are made up and the points don't matter.
Yup, same for HotW and SotW.

There's no rhyme or reason as to why anyone gets house or street of the week, but if a cast is out there crushing it every day and they DON'T win for the week when they were expecting to, it only motivates them to go harder. Ultimately in the end it's really an everyone gets a trophy game and everyone wins for the week at least once (although Blumhouse spectacularly went all of 27 without winning House of the week and into October before winning it in 28).

(although Blumhouse spectacularly went all of 27 without winning House of the week and into October before winning it in 28).

Blumhouse in both years was rather disappointing... no offense to the actors who try there best i'm sure, but the material is often just boring for an HHN caliber haunted house.

The purge scare zones have been the only exception IMO, even then they aren't "scary" but the costume design is often extremely inventive and entertaining.

Yup, same for HotW and SotW.

There's no rhyme or reason as to why anyone gets house or street of the week, but if a cast is out there crushing it every day and they DON'T win for the week when they were expecting to, it only motivates them to go harder. Ultimately in the end it's really an everyone gets a trophy game and everyone wins for the week at least once (although Blumhouse spectacularly went all of 27 without winning House of the week and into October before winning it in 28).

Fun fact, usually every house / Street will win “of the week once”. Stranger Things never won house of the week last year before finally winning house of the year at the end (talking about blumhouse not winning just made me think of that lol)

Fun fact, usually every house / Street will win “of the week once”. Stranger Things never won house of the week last year before finally winning house of the year at the end (talking about blumhouse not winning just made me think of that lol)
Yup.

People thought Poltergeist would win HotY, but I had a gut feeling that the reason ST never won HotW was bc they were saving it for year.

Yup.

People thought Poltergeist would win HotY, but I had a gut feeling that the reason ST never won HotW was bc they were saving it for year.

I was hoping for a “DollOween” like in 24 where we’d have a “tie” between Poltergeist and ST. Two insanely well done IPs that were totally different, handled extremely well, consistently good performances, and consistently good feedback / long lines. To me both showed how to handled IPs in a really great way and both houses worked their butts off. One could dream lol.