Tomorrowland Speedway | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Tomorrowland Speedway

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I know that this is a Tron thread but one last Fantasyland thing.....get rid of Little Mermaid and put BATB over there! That would be awesome and it would all make sense. Put Frozen Land in place of Speedway.

I know that this is a Tron thread but one last Fantasyland thing.....get rid of Little Mermaid and put BATB over there! That would be awesome and it would all make sense. Put Frozen Land in place of Speedway.

The mermaid ride is pretty popular actually. It may not wow the critics, But it pleases the families that ride it. Personally I think the entire Casey water playground and the surrounding area are a giant waste of space.

Under the Sea is one of the more underrated rides at Magic Kingdom. There's room for Beauty and the Beast without having to get rid of Under the Sea; it would just require some back-of-house infrastructure changes.

I look at Mermaid as a value proposition: the quality of the ride relative to the time required to wait for Mermaid is much, much higher than Seven Dwarfs, say, which is technically a better ride but commands ridiculous waits. I will never wait more than 30 minutes for Mine Train, whereas I'll almost always be able to walk onto Under the Sea and still get to ride a pretty charming, old-school dark ride.

Under the Sea is one of the more underrated rides at Magic Kingdom. There's room for Beauty and the Beast without having to get rid of Under the Sea; it would just require some back-of-house infrastructure changes.

I look at Mermaid as a value proposition: the quality of the ride relative to the time required to wait for Mermaid is much, much higher than Seven Dwarfs, say, which is technically a better ride but commands ridiculous waits. I will never wait more than 30 minutes for Mine Train, whereas I'll almost always be able to walk onto Under the Sea and still get to ride a pretty charming, old-school dark ride.
I agree they can make room.

Reactions: belloq87
Just a quick note that @Marni1971 is saying that the proposal to do a TRON overlay of this ride is still on the table and would have it ready prior to fall 2021.

Interesting. I think such a thing would really only be worthwhile at night, but it would help tie that area together (and would actually make the Speedway - finally - an attraction appropriate for Tomorrowland, even if only in a very surface-level way).

Interesting. I think such a thing would really only be worthwhile at night, but it would help tie that area together (and would actually make the Speedway - finally - an attraction appropriate for Tomorrowland, even if only in a very surface-level way).
I seriously question how the Speedway can even be themed to Tron. Unless they change from cars to a different vehicle. I think the only way it works is if the cars become Light Runners and being electric becomes a MUST. Then I guess the track you're driving could be themed as the grid, but I don't think it's possible to create the look that a Tron ride commands in an outdoor environment.

Picture for reference:
gallery_tron_01.jpg

Reactions: leavesonthelawn

Yes, we like it a lot also. Plus it has one of the best queues in MK....And, unlike most of the other newer WDW attractions, it has high capacity, which allows for shorter stand by lines.

I seriously question how the Speedway can even be themed to Tron. Unless they change from cars to a different vehicle. I think the only way it works is if the cars become Light Runners and being electric becomes a MUST. Then I guess the track you're driving could be themed as the grid, but I don't think it's possible to create the look that a Tron ride commands in an outdoor environment.

Picture for reference:
gallery_tron_01.jpg

Exactly. They would really do better enclosing it, changing to electric motors (like the electric go-karts), and then have fun. They could change the layout and add some Tron-elements with simple lighting and fixed displays. They could even utilize screens so that you are looking out over the cityscape from Tron.

Picture for reference:
gallery_tron_01.jpg

This is why I said I think it would only really be worthwhile at night.

During the day all it would be is futuristic-ish cars driving around a track.

Reactions: Nick

Picture for reference:
gallery_tron_01.jpg
Light Runners is the theme for the proposed overlay.

For now.

If they were going to re - theme the speedway. Wouldn’t they have announced it by now? Just seems odd they would keep this portion of the Tron addition “private”.