Universal Orlando Resort Expansion News (Part 2) | Page 30 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion News (Part 2)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have a source that Universal actually got anything (approval to build higher) out of their opposition to the project?

It seems perfectly reasonable to me that Universal opposed the project because it's going to ruin sightlines in Volcano Bay and will be visible from most of their hotels, along with being additional competition in an already busy tourist district. That it was some sort of "con job" just feels like a fake internet theme park fan narrative to me.

You're right, we're looking at the pieces and forming a story here so let me explain more.

Here's a good place to start.

Skyplex | Page 20 | Inside Universal Forums

Skyplex petitioned for approval from the local government and community to rezone the land and for various other aspects of its project, such as height and traffic conditions. Universal created an astroturf movement to oppose those aspects, such as sight lines, that Skyplex had to respond to. They also raised several weird questions about aspects never discussed, such as significantly higher traffic, light pollution, fireworks, and more. Skyplex responded to these by showing sight-lines from UOR, responding to traffic studies, etc. Skyplex basically did the hard work for Universal.

Skyplex | Page 26 | Inside Universal Forums

You're right, we're looking at the pieces and forming a story here so let me explain more.

Skyplex petitioned for approval from the local government and community to rezone the land and for various other aspects of its project, such as height and traffic conditions. Universal created an astroturf movement to oppose those aspects, such as sight lines, that Skyplex had to respond to. They also raised several weird questions about aspects never discussed, such as significantly higher traffic, light pollution, fireworks, and more. Skyplex responded to these by showing sight-lines from UOR, responding to traffic studies, etc. Skyplex basically did the hard work for Universal.

Yes. Pure genius strategy on Universal's part. Just amazing. I'm still impressed by this. Some smart lawyers there.

I think what they got was a precedent that they can point to if say they put Drac's castle on a mountain and the spires are 300' or more. The county really can't deny them after approving 500' just around the corner. Gives them option if they want to exercise them.

This argument makes sense except that the land Universal bought was already zoned for a height limit of 400 feet, and it seems really unlikely that they would ever want to build higher than that, just because of the cost involved.

So the idea is that Skyplex paved the way for some of the possible requests Universal might have in the future for their new park?

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Universal's been pretty good at this stuff for a while. Jay Stein, in Jay Bangs, tells the story of how they manipulated the sound/noise levels so they could guarantee high sound/noise threshholds for the parks when they were opening.

Reactions: WAJAS and Alicia
Does anyone know what time the weird announcement press conference thing is supposed to be today? Everyone thought it was going to be for Hagrids Motorbike Adventure, but that's not the case anymore.

Does anyone know what time the weird announcement press conference thing is supposed to be today? Everyone thought it was going to be for Hagrids Motorbike Adventure, but that's not the case anymore.

I’d ignore it as if it was to happen it’d be a media only briefing. Then an embargo would lift and we’d get the info. It’s not going to be some grand reveal or something but that’s just my guess.

I’d ignore it as if it was to happen it’d be a media only briefing. Then an embargo would lift and we’d get the info. It’s not going to be some grand reveal or something but that’s just my guess.
I’m thinking they’re filming something with celebrities, like Coltrain, and that video will be released tomorrow along with details, photos and/or concept art. The media was likely invited to act as the audience for the presentation. And yes, an emgargo until tomorrow makes sense.

I’m expecting a media blitz tomorrow with Today Show, NBC news stations, and maybe the Tonight Show showing clips and talking about different aspects of the ride. It’s rumored we’ll see a piece on all the Magical Creatures at some point for example.

Hoping most of it is revealed in the morning through a Universal blog post though.

I’m thinking they’re filming something with celebrities, like Coltrain, and that video will be released tomorrow along with details, photos and/or concept art. The media was likely invited to act as the audience for the presentation. And yes, an emgargo until tomorrow makes sense.

I’m expecting a media blitz tomorrow with Today Show, NBC news stations, and maybe the Tonight Show showing clips and talking about different aspects of the ride. It’s rumored we’ll see a piece on all the Magical Creatures at some point for example.

Hoping most of it is revealed in the morning through a Universal blog post though.
Maybe it will be all the Magical Plush?

Video already filmed, doubt Robbie is in it (we’ve already seen a clip of it shhhh).

I really think this is just for print media and sites, sorta like what they did for SWGE.

And, of course every media embargo gets broken right around midnight with someone who didn't pay attention or a newspaper going to print. Just a few hours more and all will be revealed...

Reactions: truejonas
And, of course every media embargo gets broken right around midnight with someone who didn't pay attention or a newspaper going to print. Just a few hours more and all will be revealed...

Or it's just Potter. As Sean says quell expectations and you'll always be blown away.

Reactions: Magic-Man

Dan has a live camera pointed generally at Icon wheel and the expansion plot on the top of the starflyer. If this thing can run the entire duration of the construction it would be some amazing time lapse type of stuff.

Seems some one caught wind of that camera because the feed has been taken down

It was testing for a few days, likely is down not because of Universal; just because of other factors.

Not to mention, Star Flyer is a private property; so Universal would have to legally get involved with those operating SF (and the tenants involved).
Seeing his relationship with SF I would think he may have a deal to allow it. They have every right to point a camera at the new land from their property. Not like you are peeping in your neighbor's bathroom window.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Seeing his relationship with SF I would think he may have a deal to allow it. They have every right to point a camera at the new land from their property. No like you are peeping in your neighbor's bathroom window.

Just the same as having the camera pointed at the likes of the Guardians showbuilding; I very much agree.

I give Dan, his team, and the folks at SF a lot of credit for doing something like that. There's something similar done in Anaheim, where one of the hotels on Harbor has cameras on the roof, giving 24/7 footage of DL.

It's actually helped a lot, in giving people looks at things in testing, such as the Guardians light package or Forever testing the Nemo scene.

Reactions: JoeCamel
Status
Not open for further replies.