Universal Studios Japan General Discussion | Page 39 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Studios Japan General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The ride itself covers about 2,700 square feet. The ride and queue is about 7,000 sq feet but that can be altered.

For reference here's the size of the ride next to SSFL in Hollywood. I made my own mock up (in photoshop) of what an Illumination Land might look like if we ever did get something like that after SLOP opens. (hence the reason this exists)

rfreeze.jpg

The ride itself covers about 2,700 square feet. The ride and queue is about 7,000 sq feet but that can be altered.

For reference here's the size of the ride next to SSFL in Hollywood. I made my own mock up (in photoshop) of what an Illumination Land might look like if we ever did get something like that after SLOP opens. (hence the reason this exists)

View attachment 9138

I'm all in favor of additional rides and capacity...

Just out of interest, how popular is the fun land spinner?

I have to wonder, with UFW for Florida and a possible 2nd park in Hollywood... how long until a second park/massive expansion comes to USJ?

It has the highest attendance of any Universal park and undoubtedly sells the most merchandise. Expanding is a no brainer.

Currently there are a lot of warehouses surrounding the park, surely if Universal really wanted to they could buy up a substantial amount and build a second park?

Edit - bit of armchair imagineering but here's how i'd do it, would mean the entrance to the 2nd gate could be opposite the 1st gate - just like Disneyland Resort.
upload_2019-3-19_13-22-43.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Magic-Man
I have to wonder, with UFW for Florida and a possible 2nd park in Hollywood... how long until a second park/massive expansion comes to USJ?

It has the highest attendance of any Universal park and undoubtedly sells the most merchandise. Expanding is a no brainer.

Currently there are a lot of warehouses surrounding the park, surely if Universal really wanted to they could buy up a substantial amount and build a second park?

Edit - bit of armchair imagineering but here's how i'd do it, would mean the entrance to the 2nd gate could be opposite the 1st gate - just like Disneyland Resort.
View attachment 9147

Won't happen in Osaka at least or remote near the current park as that land you highlighted outside USJ where you have 2nd gate is a government backed steel factory and where you have Resort hotels and city walk is where the subway station is and the rest is zoned for residential.

The only thing remotely possible is them filling more of the mariana/bay to reclaim land as well as expanding in the New Resort Parking Area you have labeled but that's as far as they can get for now. Now I know the Osaka City government is trying to bring in another theme park in Osaka Castle park themed solely to Anime which Universal can hop on board and own/operate at the expense of the city but its up to USJ leadership to think that far ahead.

Won't happen in Osaka at least or remote near the current park as that land you highlighted outside USJ where you have 2nd gate is a government backed steel factory

USJ brings a huge amount of money, jobs and tourism into Osaka, if Universal want to do it I'm sure they could do a deal with the local goverment/steel factory, maybe pay for a new factory elsewhere. If the will to do it is there, then there is always a way.

and where you have Resort hotels and city walk is where the subway station is and the rest is zoned for residential.

The area I highlighted for resort hotels is where all 7 current resort hotels are already, next to the subway station. Was just pointing them out on the map.

Thanks for the input though - all just dreaming at the moment!

View attachment 9147

My guess is that another USJ Park would have to be substantially larger than the current one, not smaller. The area in purple may be a long-term goal for expansion, but perhaps that will hold more hotels, maybe an indoor water park, more parking lots/garages, resort support buildings, etc?

The whole reason for finding another site in Japan was to go bigger. I think it would be a mistake to try to cram a new park in such a small plot, knowing the attendance and expansion plans that affected how USJ grew up over the last 20 years.

Sooo, they'll be using the show that Hollywood, and later Orlando, will be soon abandoning. It's a pretty good show, but a tad on the short time side.

Remember that "Nighttime Lights" was originally just developed for the grand opening of WWoHP Hollywood and nothing beyond that. So the fact they're able to package it up, market it and get significant attendance boost (at least at USH) from it is amazing.

Remember that "Nighttime Lights" was originally just developed for the grand opening of WWoHP Hollywood and nothing beyond that. So the fact they're able to package it up, market it and get significant attendance boost (at least at USH) from it is amazing.
Yep. This show, plus the holiday show, get packed crowds in Orlando.

Recently found a couple of USJ related items I haven't seen before so thought I'd share them here:

Great drone video flyover from Andy Yang Films - not often you see drone footage of USJ:

Original planning designs for Freeze Ray sliders from Team Mobius designs - gives us a proper idea of the kind of footprint this ride takes up, should we see it come stateside...
team M O B I U S - Universal Studios Japan: Freeze Ray Sliders
team-mobius-2017-06-14-frs-graphics-plan-r1.jpg

team-mobius-2017-05-24-frs-mini-ride-poolconceptsketch-sk2.jpg

Reactions: Stryker and Mad Dog
Recently found a couple of USJ related items I haven't seen before so thought I'd share them here:

Great drone video flyover from Andy Yang Films - not often you see drone footage of USJ:

Original planning designs for Freeze Ray sliders from Team Mobius designs - gives us a proper idea of the kind of footprint this ride takes up, should we see it come stateside...
team M O B I U S - Universal Studios Japan: Freeze Ray Sliders
team-mobius-2017-06-14-frs-graphics-plan-r1.jpg

team-mobius-2017-05-24-frs-mini-ride-poolconceptsketch-sk2.jpg

Great find :thumbsup:...I paused that dozens of times to get a good snapshot. This gives you a good concept of how tightly the park is squeezed into the urban landscape. A pure Urban park. This makes Universal Orlando look like it's located in the rural countryside. Little room here for any expansion, short of into parking lots, like they're doing with Nintendo. .

Great find :thumbsup:...I paused that dozens of times to get a good snapshot. This gives you a good concept of how tightly the park is squeezed into the urban landscape. A pure Urban park. This makes Universal Orlando look like it's located in the rural countryside. Little room here for any expansion, short of into parking lots, like they're doing with Nintendo. .

Thanks!
I agree, it really does show the complications they are facing in trying to expand the most visited Universal Studios park on the planet.

I've got to think they have some plans for more than just expansion into parking lots at some point!?

Reactions: Mad Dog
Thanks!
I agree, it really does show the complications they are facing in trying to expand the most visited Universal Studios park on the planet.

I've got to think they have some plans for more than just expansion into parking lots at some point!?
Probably replace and build, like they've done with BTTF/DM.

Reactions: Jamesh22
Probably replace and build, like they've done with BTTF/DM.

I think that's the only option open to them at the moment, but that will limit the amount of growth in visitors the park can make. Maybe the future for USJ is more multi level areas like SNW, then they can do more with less.

Reactions: Mad Dog