Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Six Flags Magic Mountain

Despite the recent "news" from Screamscape earlier today....

Green Lantern test cycled 1 or 2 trains around 2pm today... why they decided to do this during park hours, I have no idea. But yea..

oh and hi... been busy with life...

1st is a clone of something (not larson loop but I know SFMM would be dumb to blow this up), the other is really cool regardless

Sue Carpenter from Six Flags has officially confirmed that Green Lantern is closed for good and will be removed. I actually liked that ride.

Sue Carpenter from Six Flags has officially confirmed that Green Lantern is closed for good and will be removed. I actually liked that ride.
While she may have confirmed this (via Screamscape), again... I'm going to reiterate the strange fact that they were cycling trains around 2pm during park hours. And MANY guests noticed. Yea, its been removed from the site/app, but we need to wait for an official park announcement (although I feel like it will be quietly removed without acknowledgement)

Green Lantern's trains were being worked on a few months ago, back in december/january they were sitting next to Colossus (which is usually the sign of ride work. Scrambler was next to Scream during its renovation).

We all know that Six Flags likes to let things sit, rot, decay and just go completely neglected. So this "new" is very interesting due to the recent work done to the ride/trains. In a surprising twist, they just recently repainted the "Coast City" sign..
si6jL29.jpg

^Taken January 2018 (remained like this all of 2018)

pJvMAik.jpg

This pic was taken last month. Odd that a ride on its way out, they'd randomly care about its themed section looking nice.

My fingers are crossed for the rumored Aquaman Power Splash ride.
I've been saying Tidal Wave needs to be rethemed to Aquaman for over a year now. With the movie a success, its sad that they haven't capitalized on it, let alone have a photo-op character in the park.

my source who told me this was going did give me two potential replacements. One of them sucks. The other would be unique.

1st is a clone of something (not larson loop but I know SFMM would be dumb to blow this up), the other is really cool regardless

Please for the love of God don't let the replacement be an S&S Free-Spin. Put a Mack Water-Coaster or a Wicked-Twister-like invert there instead.

Here's a video short instagram video of a train cycling yesterday

I've noticed that nobody has noticed some of the more recent changes at the park over the past 2 months...

- "Loaded Dogs" (hog dog quick service) that was across from Full Throttle has replaced the mexican food spot inside Food Etc next to Goliath
- "Go Fresh" a new vegan/Vegetarian quick service option has taken over the former "Loaded Dogs" location across from Full Throttle
- The "french fry" snack stand across from Food Etc near the Swashbuckler is now a new "Fish & Chips" food option. Also, the former outdoor grill next to this space has been removed to allow more spaced out seating for the tables.
- The park also sells mini metal models of X2, Goliath & Tatsu for $35 in the giftshop. (I have a pic, will post later)
- Whistlestop Park has recently gotten all of its signage renovated & the train itself is back in the station, so it could reopen "soon".

As for WCR, they finally started pouring cement for the footer this past week. There were about 3-4 cement trucks in action on site this past Thursday. Apocalypse has a huge chunk of its track removed and they were working on it again yesterday after very little action the past few weeks.

I really don't understand why everyone is so gung-ho about wanting a powersplash ride. It looks like an okay ride, but nothing amazing. It would be a better-suited replacement for Tidal Wave, but even then, that would mean a traditional water ride would get the axe for another coaster. Let's not forget Roaring Rapids is rumored to be on the chopping block in a couple of years so even more reason to keep Tidal.

If they're going to replace it with another coaster, let's make it a good one. For the love of all that is good, a Skywarp would be just as bad as GL. An S&S freespin would be slightly more tolerable, but there's already one being added just six hours up the 5 freeway. Besides, the GP would just see that as the same as Green Lantern, so what's the point?

What's my ideal replacement for GL? Literally anything but a freespin or a Skywarp. If they want to go the economical route, I wouldn't mind an El Loco (With better capacity). I don't see an RMC Raptor as it would be too low capacity. I would like to see something like Star Trek at movie world but as an extreme spinner, to avoid being repetitive from WCR or FT.

Last edited:
Might've been testing in front of lawyers.
Well there were several upper level Six Flags big-wigs in the vicinity. So you're not too far off.

IF it does get removed, it'll probably just end up at another park (with even lower standards than Six Flags) or it'll end up as scrap. This does make it twice that I've seen it "operational". Once early morning last year & then yesterday. You'd be surprised how many guests WANT to ride it or complain about it being closed.

Oh and if you have any interest in owning one of the old-school "coaster stat character" tshirts for the ride (and others), they DO have them in the two main giftshops at the front of the park.

I really don't understand why everyone is so gung-ho about wanting a powersplash ride. It looks like an okay ride, but nothing amazing. It would be a better-suited replacement for Tidal Wave, but even then, that would mean a traditional water ride would get the axe for another coaster. Let's not forget Roaring Rapids is rumored to be on the chopping block in a couple of years so even more reason to keep Tidal.
Tidal Wave is old AF. Its also as basic as that ride can get. However, JPRA has proven you can take an old school ride & make it a completely immersive experience. Now obviously I'm not saying it needs to be a nearly 10min ride like JPRA.. But imagine if they fully renovated this old school splash by excessively themeing (by Six Flags standards) it to Aquaman. It wouldn't take much. Encase the supports to look like Atlantis temple columns, partially enclose the lift & turn-around (the backstage view is horrendous), add ruins, etc.. Look at Riddler/Batman's queue's (both very well themed.. Batman even more so). That is what Tidal Wave should get. You can still keep the tropical oasis style greenery.

The big warehouse (which ironically was once used as a maze location for Fright Fest) that sits behind the Center Ring midway games across from CraZanity takes up a big chunk of space. They mostly use it for storage of the plush toy prizes. Considering its proximity to Green Lantern (and Tidal Wave) that is a good chunk of extra space. Lets face it. Six Flags does not utilize their space very well at all. They could easily rip out that warehouse for more space.

They REALLY need to connect the area near Batman & Riddler. The fact that its a dead end is annoying. I hate that they gave Crazanity a very generic "boardwalk midway" theme despite the fact that it sits between DC Universe & Metropolis. Still say it should've been "Harley & Joker's Midway (Mayhem?)"..

JPRA?

I agree that if GL is testing, it may be just to see if it works so it can be sold and/or sent to another park.

And--I say that as a minority person who actually doesn't mind GL--of course people want to ride it and would complain about it being closed... they see what appears to be a fully functioning, once operational ride in front of them with no apparent reason it should be closed. But they probably don't really know how much people who did ride it hate the experience.

I don't really have much opinion on Tidal Wave. I suppose an Aquaman theme would be nice, but it's like SFMM can't decide if they want to keep that ride or get rid of it... so it straddles this odd line where it's closed a LOT and then--suprise!--open it for a few months before it closes again. At this point, they just need to pick if they want it or not.

Oddly, I feel what SFMM lacks in their coaster line up in a good mad mouse. I also would enjoy an El Loco. And a giga, but I've all but given up on that dream. But I don't know if I see any of those, as well as the S&S FreeFly/RMC T-Rex (since they're both only 5 hours away) are impressive enough to market as a possible 20th coaster.

If I'm not mistaken, won't all that old Deja Vu space still be open? I didn't think WCR was using that area. And there are many small pockets of space that would be great for more flat rides, seeing how successful Crazanity has turned out to be (the old Swiss Twist area, and I've always dreamed of them being able to put a flat ride in that abandoned lower Dragon station--though it's probably rotted to all hell and needs to be torn down eventually).

JPRA?

I don't really have much opinion on Tidal Wave. I suppose an Aquaman theme would be nice, but it's like SFMM can't decide if they want to keep that ride or get rid of it... so it straddles this odd line where it's closed a LOT and then--suprise!--open it for a few months before it closes again. At this point, they just need to pick if they want it or not.

If I'm not mistaken, won't all that old Deja Vu space still be open? I didn't think WCR was using that area. And there are many small pockets of space that would be great for more flat rides, seeing how successful Crazanity has turned out to be (the old Swiss Twist area, and I've always dreamed of them being able to put a flat ride in that abandoned lower Dragon station--though it's probably rotted to all hell and needs to be torn down eventually).
JPRA = Jurassic Park River Adventure (aka JP: The Ride) lol

Well its a rather WET ride, so its closed during the winter/early spring months due to the chilly cold weather. Same for Roaring Rapids. If its closed on a warmer day, thats just Six Flags being cheap AF & not wanting to spend operational costs (hence their love of 1 or 2 train only operations... ugh. hate that crap). Jetstream has been open during the chilly season mostly because its a fairly "dry" water ride.

As far as the old Deja Vu space... that is still currently home to the Aftermath maze for Fright Fest. Also better known as the "Magic Mountain Cemetery"- Deja Vu's entrance/queue is still in place (complete with warning sign). As are the tower supports. The big building facades are from the old Batman stunt show, as well are a lot of the surrounding props. There's even an old "Comet" ride sign.

Yes, there is A LOT of locations around the park that could be home to a multitude of flat rides and more. The problem is, Six Flags is cheap. They're sadly delusional in thinking they are a quality destination park just because they have 19 rust-covered slightly rough coasters. The park fails to offer any form of entertainment (which people have complained about repeatedly), they hardly use their characters, and a lot of their food locations are usually closed. They only have ONE full service restaurant in the park. Only one quick service location with indoor/covered dining. Terrible plumbing issues. Magic Mountain is approaching 50 and its sad that the other 4 big name parks in CA are in better condition.

JPRA = Jurassic Park River Adventure (aka JP: The Ride) lol

Well its a rather WET ride, so its closed during the winter/early spring months due to the chilly cold weather. Same for Roaring Rapids. If its closed on a warmer day, thats just Six Flags being cheap AF & not wanting to spend operational costs (hence their love of 1 or 2 train only operations... ugh. hate that crap). Jetstream has been open during the chilly season mostly because its a fairly "dry" water ride.

As far as the old Deja Vu space... that is still currently home to the Aftermath maze for Fright Fest. Also better known as the "Magic Mountain Cemetery"- Deja Vu's entrance/queue is still in place (complete with warning sign). As are the tower supports. The big building facades are from the old Batman stunt show, as well are a lot of the surrounding props. There's even an old "Comet" ride sign.

Yes, there is A LOT of locations around the park that could be home to a multitude of flat rides and more. The problem is, Six Flags is cheap. They're sadly delusional in thinking they are a quality destination park just because they have 19 rust-covered slightly rough coasters. The park fails to offer any form of entertainment (which people have complained about repeatedly), they hardly use their characters, and a lot of their food locations are usually closed. They only have ONE full service restaurant in the park. Only one quick service location with indoor/covered dining. Terrible plumbing issues. Magic Mountain is approaching 50 and its sad that the other 4 big name parks in CA are in better condition.

It's been a minute Wesker. I thought perhaps you had moved to Iowa or something. Welcome back.

Magic Mountain is MM. I don't expect no more, no less. But, they HAVE made some improvements to the park in the last couple years though. Even your cynical self has to admit it. Lol

Nope. Not Iowa, just the real world keeping me busy (Legit haven't even posted my HHN, WB, Grinchmas, Holiday in the Park, Lunar New Year reviews yet! Not even on FB... :'( )

Their improvements are few and far between. The reality for the park is that it needs a lot more attention than they're willing to give it. They put a band-aid on a multiple issues & call it a day. The park could easily pull in a lot of people daily, sure not Disney/Universal crowds all the time, but they fail to make the effort. The remaining buildings near Apocalypse are only getting cosmetic surgery rather than being completely torn down/rebuilt like they need to be. Which is unfortunate, especially for the bathrooms (this is an issue with both Screampunk & Metropolis - revamped, but plumbing/sewage not fixed :poop: ). I'm holding out hope for the new WCR area, but still low expectations.. They still need to repave the midway between Dive Devil & Jetstream. Its cracked to hell.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to Apocalypse being back open rather than WCR opening haha.. Oh & i vote for WCR to be renamed "Dead Coast Racers" for Fright Fest :horror:

..........but why.
Allegedly they could be demonstrating the ride operation for another park's officials (rumor: La Ronde)... but if that is the case. WHY isn't this being done BEFORE the park opens at 10:30am!? Seriously, if you have zero intention of ever reopening the ride to Magic Mountain park guests, you don't test cycle while they're present. That reflects just as negatively as it does sitting non-operational in the park since 2017.

I'll see if I can get a more solid answer today. Also, I'll try to do a photo update of various things since we haven't had one in a while.

Allegedly they could be demonstrating the ride operation for another park's officials (rumor: La Ronde)... but if that is the case. WHY isn't this being done BEFORE the park opens at 10:30am!? Seriously, if you have zero intention of ever reopening the ride to Magic Mountain park guests, you don't test cycle while they're present. That reflects just as negatively as it does sitting non-operational in the park since 2017.

Depends on their reasoning which none of us have any way of knowing. Perhaps they had been working all morning on getting systems and a train ready for use. Perhaps they couldn't give a crap what their guests think once they have paid admission. Either could be true, and at the end of the day, I doubt most guests really cared either.

They have a sign up front stating the ride is closed, so really they could test the ride for 6 months straight and never open it, and that sign still stands (cough cough Xcelerator cough cough).

Last edited:
I've seen people say that this ride "got worse" when SFMM changed something about it to limit the spins... umm... I rode it twice on opening day and it was the worst experience possible for a coaster short of actual bodily harm. Happy to see this POS get the boot. They should have never gotten rid of Freefall!