Jordan Peele's "Us" (2019) | Inside Universal Forums

Jordan Peele's "Us" (2019)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
May 14, 2014
Seoul, Korea
MV5BODUyODM0NjYyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjAwMDU5NjM@._V1_.jpg

A mother and father take their kids to their beach house, expecting to enjoy time with friends, but their serenity turns to tension and chaos when some visitors arrive uninvited.

Directed and Written By: Jordan Peele
Starring:
Elizabeth Moss (Handmaiden's Tale, Mad Men)
Winston Duke (Black Panther)
Lupita Nyong'o (12 Years a Slave, Star Wars, Black Panther)
Tim Hiedecker (Tim and Eric)

tnhexognrf521.jpg

tqw38jqplf521.jpg

Trailer Drops Christmas Day

US Release: 3/15/2019

Reactions: RevFreako
IndieWire - Eric Kohn

A brilliant home-invasion thriller laced with cultural reference points stretching back to the late ’80s, and a smorgasbord of first-rate visceral cinematic scares. Think “Funny Games” collided with Cronenbergian body horror and Hitchockian suspense, and you’re maybe halfway there.

The Hollywood Reporter - John DeFore

Clearly the work of an ambitious writer/director who can see himself inheriting the mantle of Rod Serling ... it offers twists and ironies and false endings galore — along with more laughs than the comedian-turned-auteur dared to include in his debut film. ... It packs a punch.

The A.V. Club - Randall Colburn

Us is something of a frustrating watch, a visual and technical marvel that just doesn’t seem to know what it is. Unlike Get Out, which only swelled in impact as you left the theater, Us is best viewed on a visceral level, not an intellectual one.

Variety - Peter Debruge

Terrifying...The less you know going in — and the less energy you spend thinking about it after the fact — the better the movie works, trading on some uncanny combination of Peele’s imagination and our own to suggest a horror infinitely larger and more insidious than the film is capable of representing

We Live Entertainment - Ashley Menzel

Breathtakingly haunting and in a way, surreal, Us is a must-see that will horrify audiences the world over.

Dread Central - Jonathan Barkan

Jordan Peele's Us is one of the most original horror titles in recent years. This movie is destined for greatness.

Vanyaland - Nick Johnston

Us is a tremendous accomplishment.

CNET - Erin Carson

Similarly, Us mirrors Get Out. It's more scary fare with social commentary. But the copy's never quite the same as the original.

The Daily Beast - Kevin Fallon

Jordan Peele's Us is a stellar follow-up to Get Out and its going to be a huge hit.

Saw it last night, loved it, but not as much as Get Out which was a game changer.

Jordan Peele really is a director to watch, elements of this are so incredibly clever and different, it's really really refreshing and full of twists, although *not a spoiler* but I thought the final twist was unecessary.

This movie has problems. I won’t get into all of the world-logic problems because I feel that’s too easy...what I will say is the three act structure starts off strong and completely falls off at the second act, then plummets during the third. Hardly any suspense, aside from the initial invasion, relatively shallow imagery that people are reading WAY too far into, and ultimately an unsatisfying experience. Disappointed that I didn’t like it more.

Really enjoyed it up until the living room scene. The next half hour left me extremely bored to the point my wife and I were checking our watches and wondering if the couple we were with was having as hard of a time staying awake as we were. (Turns out they hated it worse than we did.) By the time it picked back up, it was too late for me and I had already written the movie off. Lots of great horror references, and I dig the C.H.U.D./Goonies/Man With Two Brains VHS tapes at the beginning.

I really want to like this story. I think I would have enjoyed it more as a 50-minute episode of Black Mirror or the Twilight Zone, but as a 90-minute+ feature film... Zzz.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andysol
Us had the highest opening for a live-action original movie ($71.1M) since Avatar ($77M). Peele really has a solid brand carved out for himself.

Reactions: HereWeGo