Six Flags Magic Mountain | Page 77 | Inside Universal Forums

Six Flags Magic Mountain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I've seen people say that this ride "got worse" when SFMM changed something about it to limit the spins... umm... I rode it twice on opening day and it was the worst experience possible for a coaster short of actual bodily harm. Happy to see this POS get the boot. They should have never gotten rid of Freefall!

Green Lantern was set up to fail though, from that cramped station, to the stupid "arm" shields to the state insisting the spinning be limited for safety reasons. If you watch the Green lantern opening day video, the spinning was controlled with weights from day one. After only 2 weeks of operation and complaints from guests coming back to the station upside down, the park made a decision to add even MORE weight, so now instead of natural forces spinning your body to evenly distribute your body weight, now you would hit the drops tilted forwards, making the restraints dig into your shoulders as your entire body weight was thrown forward with no spin to cushion the blow.

This ride works better in other countries where there are fewer restrictions and less people running to file lawsuits every time they break a nail. This ride was NEVER going to work right in the state of California and never should have been built here.

Green Lantern was set up to fail though, from that cramped station, to the stupid "arm" shields to the state insisting the spinning be limited for safety reasons. If you watch the Green lantern opening day video, the spinning was controlled with weights from day one. After only 2 weeks of operation and complaints from guests coming back to the station upside down, the park made a decision to add even MORE weight, so now instead of natural forces spinning your body to evenly distribute your body weight, now you would hit the drops tilted forwards, making the restraints dig into your shoulders as your entire body weight was thrown forward with no spin to cushion the blow.

This ride works better in other countries where there are fewer restrictions and less people running to file lawsuits every time they break a nail. This ride was NEVER going to work right in the state of California and never should have been built here.

It was also a case to where for it to work, the tech wasn't there when it opened.

Now? With a S&S Free Fly, it could've easily been a different story.

Is this park's refurbishment schedule literally just a "screw it, who cares" affair? First Justice League is down for an indeterminate number of weeks... now that's back up, but Superman is MIA.

Just frustrating for someone trying to plan a visit.

Perhaps they had been working all morning on getting systems and a train ready for use. at the end of the day, I doubt most guests really cared either.

They have a sign up front stating the ride is closed, so really they could test the ride for 6 months straight and never open it
Nope. Thats not how it works. The trains on Green Lantern that were cycling over the weekend are brand new. As I said, they were working on them a few months ago with every intention of reopening the ride. As to what changed between then & now is anyone's guess. And actually, most guests do actually care. They see a ride testing, they will want to know when it opens and/or ride it.

As for the sign in question, there is one glaring flaw with your statement. Keyword: "TEMPORARILY" ...and to park guests, that means it could reopen at any given time.
T9fKi8j.jpg
RTuQdYS.jpg

Is this park's refurbishment schedule literally just a "screw it, who cares" affair? First Justice League is down for an indeterminate number of weeks... now that's back up, but Superman is MIA.
Justice League being down is fine because they actually FINALLY fixed the projectors. The screens were so bad you couldn't even see what was happening. Since its been operating for the past month, the projection quality is clean & clear again. However, the guns still need an overall because they don't work that great all the time. SIGH.

As for Superman, any time it rains, it will remain closed for several days after (even if its sunny) due to the launch/brakes being wet. It has nothing to do with refurbishment (at least not the past few months). And it has been operational the past few days btw. Drop of Doom has been closed, but that is actually getting worked on.

Green Lantern is reportedly going to La Ronde
Correct. I found out yesterday that it was officially sold. They were showing off how it operates to them over the weekend. Got it confirmed that the trains are "new". Sadly it seems like the ride will NOT have any "farewell rides" for park guests, (unlikely) but I'm sure that could change.
HsO89WX.jpg

Anyway here is a small update from yesterday (monday) as promised... would've posted it last night, but I was tired as hell.
NKt3mew.jpg
yxtFu2h.jpg

uUBRfuY.jpg

D8u1WDz.jpg

Moving away from Green Lantern... here are the new food offerings I had mentioned
OIM7TA6.jpg

pIOSiaf.jpg

MMrkZGE.jpg

A brief look at the current area of WCR... yay dirt
Dd1JG5A.jpg

6r18wJX.jpg

Here's a little X2 sunset fire p0rn
IeFuma2.jpg

Lastly here is a look at the those mini metal coaster models they sell in the main Emporium giftshop, as well in the giftshop across from Dive Devil
DghB3MV.jpg
II1coxh.jpg

O9oseSn.jpg

dh945as.jpg

KESrHCK.jpg

These mini models are very cool, but also kinda cheap for their $35 price tag. Best advice- if you're friends with a teammember, abuse their discount (35-40%) or if you know someone insane with a Diamond Elite pass, abuse their 50% discount.

Nope. Thats not how it works. The trains on Green Lantern that were cycling over the weekend are brand new. As I said, they were working on them a few months ago with every intention of reopening the ride. As to what changed between then & now is anyone's guess. And actually, most guests do actually care. They see a ride testing, they will want to know when it opens and/or ride it.

As for the sign in question, there is one glaring flaw with your statement. Keyword: "TEMPORARILY" ...and to park guests, that means it could reopen at any given time.
T9fKi8j.jpg
RTuQdYS.jpg

I’m not sure what you mean? Rides test all the time without opening during a guest’s visit, and there is no way in the world a GP would know Green Lantern is permanently closed because it was just announced a few days ago and still has not been publicly announced by the park. A guest randomly walking by Green Lantern has no idea what is going on, only that it’s testing, and as I said, rides test all the time without opening during a guest’s visit. Hell I was there while Crazanity was down and it tested throughout the day. So my point still stands. I’m sure they could have arranged pre opening testing, but they didn’t and that’s their prerogative. With all the crazy poop I see at SFMM, this ranks at 3,624.

Last edited:
Reactions: alomar
If thats how you want to spin it, by all means. And Crazanity is always going down due to poor operations. There is a difference between a new ride that is doing testing with the possible intention of it opening and a ride that has been closed for 2 years suddenly cycling trains. And for the record, this is magic mountain, they don't test rides all the time just for the hell of it. They're cheap. If a ride isn't going to potentially open, they're not going to test it.

In GL's case, they were cycling it so the new owners could see it in action. But to park guests, who aren't in the know, they're going to think it will open "soon".

Reactions: Southerncoasterer
If thats how you want to spin it, by all means.

Pun accepted!

A visiting guest doesn't know the difference in anything you're saying. You're preaching to the choir.

But whatever... I honestly don’t care that much either way. I’m more curious what the timeline is with WCR.

Last edited:
In GL's case, they were cycling it so the new owners could see it in action. But to park guests, who aren't in the know, they're going to think it will open "soon".

Yeah, but so what? I've seen not only SFMM, but Cedar Point, Knott's, and tons of other parks cycle rides that maybe didn't open up at all that day. Sometimes it's a mechanical issue, others a part of refurbishment, or whatever. Point is, even as a typical park guest, seeing a ride cycle is no guarantee of it opening.

Yeah, but so what? I've seen not only SFMM, but Cedar Point, Knott's, and tons of other parks cycle rides that maybe didn't open up at all that day. Sometimes it's a mechanical issue, others a part of refurbishment, or whatever. Point is, even as a typical park guest, seeing a ride cycle is no guarantee of it opening.

And in the case of Green Lantern, it's so much more fun to watch cycle than it is to ride anyway! lol

The park is doing their guests a favor by not opening it.

So Tidal Wave was scheduled to reopen yesterday (Tuesday), but it hasn't yet. However today they did have more of the "lagoon" filled and the water running on the drop. So hopefully tomorrow or Friday you should see this water ride making waves again because its going to be 80 this weekend.
UeGSlFY.jpg

In other news, Roaring Rapids reopened today, however... they are working on the queue. So if you want to ride it, you will access it via the exit (left side) for the time being. I forgot to grab a picture today, but I'll get one tomorrow...

Jetstream is still dryer than the Sahara but that is to be expected at this time.

Actually its really not closed that often. It closes in the late fall until Spring due to the chillier weather. That'd be like complaining Hurricane Harbor is only open for roughly 4 months out of the year. Keep in mind, this is Magic Mountain and they refuse to invest in proper maintenance. So if its closed at any time during the summer, its a technical issue. Otherwise it will be open.

^ Yep, the proper maintenance is what I'm referring to. It wasn't running in 99 degree weather last time I was there, not even close to chilly weather. As you know Valencia is quite hot from May-October.

And yes, Six Flags is cheap and has a very limited and overworked maintenance team. It's been this way every since I worked there. There have been talks about removing that ride for years.

Last edited:
So wait, the rapids ride is open, but the flume ride is not?

And Superman is open... but Lex Luthor isn't?

Why have a website if you can't keep it updated?

So wait, the rapids ride is open, but the flume ride is not?
And Superman is open... but Lex Luthor isn't?
Roaring Rapids just opened yesterday & they're still working on the queue. So they're using the exit. Jetstream is being worked on (physically saw maintenance working on it), but is also right next to the WCR construction site. Tidal Wave was still not open today, but the maintenance guy did say if it wasn't open by Tuesday it'd be open by this weekend.

Superman & Drop of Doom are two completely separate rides in two completely different areas of the park that share the same "tower". Its rare for Drop of Doom to be closed (outside of technical issues), so at least they're giving it some attention before the big crowds hit.

Anyway, Apocalypse was being worked on today. The Whistlestop Park train ride is operational again. Most of the coasters are currently running with only one train, so waittimes are longer.

Oh yea.. forgot to point of the new midway game near CraZanity.
ilQJhi9.jpg

All you have to do is take the big stick & pick a bag with the hook... thats it. Definitely my skill level!!!

The park added a new photo-op today...
XAFqyRz.jpg

Also the main entrance/queue for Roaring Rapids was back in action. Still no Tidal Wave yet though. Drop of Doom hasn't reopened, BUT it did finally do some testing today. So if all goes well, it should be operating again tomorrow.

Here's the old school DC themed ride shirts I mentioned a few posts back. They're available on a rack in the Emporium, but the Looney Tunes Super Store next to the park exit also has a small stock of them too in the far back left corner.
1QMQuI0.jpg

^While I do love this shirt because it has all the pre-Justice League big rides on it. My issue is "Fear The Five", but only 2 of the rides are villain based. My point? I want 3 new DC villain themed rides to have a proper "Fear The Five" shirt haha...

1ja7coK.jpg
OCp7okQ.jpg

QGTMNtK.jpg
kUB2stM.jpg

^while I don't care for the "ride stats", I do believe the park really needs to invest more on actual ride merchandise. It really is a shame how they don't tap the ride merch market like other parks.