What's new
Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Apple TV+

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
Apple is unveiling their efforts for live TV programming, and I'll update it as it comes

• Amazing Stories (Steven Spielberg)
  • The Morning Show (Reese, Anniston, Carrell starring)
  • See (Jason Momoa, Alfre Woodard) [Post-Apocalyptic, focusing on a earth where the survivors have become blind]
  • Little America (Kumail Nanjiani starring)
  • Sesame Street Workshop/Apple TV Show called "Little Helper's" [Pre-School]
  • Little Voice (J.J. Abbrams/Sarah Bareilles)
  • Two Documentaries developed with Oprah (one on Sexual Assault/Harassment in workplaces, and the other on Mental Healh Awareness)
To be continued..

Last edited:
The Morning Show has to potential to be great with Witherspoon. After seeing her in Big Little Lies, her catty/witty personality shines bright on Television with that role.

See might suck, but I still am going to give that a go based on premise alone.

I’ve watched quite a few Apple keynotes and this was by-far the most infuriating. This was Apple jumping the shark.

The entire keynote was ridiculously over-the-top. Creating new TV shows isn’t going to change the world and I couldn’t believe the number of monologues about how Apple was going to do just that.

As for content, they showed so, so very little about the shows they’re creating, no information on pricing, or really any reason why we should sign up for this service.

Apple’s entry into TV seems no different than Youtube’s (that failed) or Amazon’s (tons of money behind it, middling success, unclear success criteria)

My issue with the keynote, was a "don't show, only tell".

I see comparisons between this and a Cinemacon panel, and I think it's more unfair because with Cinemacon; you know what you are in for, and you see stuff from it.

I wish they did more to show, elements like Little Helpers and Little Voice where they did give something more than just monologues, were nice and fun. I am hoping this is an issue to where they're simply wanting to pad out the time between now and the fall launch, to simply just do updates and teasers/trailers for the new shows. Because yeah, this seems more like how Amazon's doing shows (with higher values though).

It's not as bad as last week's Stadia presentation, but it's..a bit worrying. I got more enjoyment from Apple News+ out of anything from this.

My issue with the keynote, was a "don't show, only tell".

I see comparisons between this and a Cinemacon panel, and I think it's more unfair because with Cinemacon; you know what you are in for, and you see stuff from it.

I wish they did more to show, elements like Little Helpers and Little Voice where they did give something more than just monologues, were nice and fun. I am hoping this is an issue to where they're simply wanting to pad out the time between now and the fall launch, to simply just do updates and teasers/trailers for the new shows. Because yeah, this seems more like how Amazon's doing shows (with higher values though).

It's not as bad as last week's Stadia presentation, but it's..a bit worrying. I got more enjoyment from Apple News+ out of anything from this.
I think the Stadia keynote had expectations set properly. GDC is a developer's conference (despite all the buzz it gets) and the Stadia keynote was aimed quite a bit at encouraging developers to build games for Stadia. E3 will probably be the consumer launch (it's more of a consumer show) and that's fine with me.

Apple's future is in services because services provide a steady, monthly source of revenue. It's why all the media companies are getting into the streaming (distribution) business. I'm invested in the Apple ecosystem and the switching cost is pretty massive. So, Apple is going to push me more and more into buying all of these services.

What I saw today is that Apple is going to push me into getting a bland news app, a not-that-great credit card, and the Comcast app with a couple extra shows on it.

Why am I paying $1000 for a phone and $1500 for a laptop from them?

(This is totally a rant. I get that. Everybody's getting into the streaming business for weird/nonsensical reasons and when all of their streaming services fail, I'm gonna be out a lot of content and watch as those companies start to mess with non-content things I like to recoup their losses)

Their biggest strength is the ability to drop this onto millions of devices like they did with Apple Music. The difference there was hundreds of thousands of tracks being available to stream, this sounds very very limited at the moment.

This was Apple jumping the shark.

Yeah no, this is a common take after every thing they announce.

As for TV+ and all that stuff it looks... fine. Question is if there will be a bundle for it all. I could see myself buying into a larger Apple Music/TV+/Arcade/News+/iCloud storage package than TV+ alone. I am very interested in Arcade as it shows Apple's strengths of offering a product and not a feature. Stadia is a feature with no actual product behind it, Arcade makes a more compelling case.

I’ve watched quite a few Apple keynotes and this was by-far the most infuriating. This was Apple jumping the shark.

The entire keynote was ridiculously over-the-top. Creating new TV shows isn’t going to change the world and I couldn’t believe the number of monologues about how Apple was going to do just that.

As for content, they showed so, so very little about the shows they’re creating, no information on pricing, or really any reason why we should sign up for this service.

Apple’s entry into TV seems no different than Youtube’s (that failed) or Amazon’s (tons of money behind it, middling success, unclear success criteria)

You nailed it.

Everyone in the industry is baffled by this thing. It's taken then two too many years to get their crap together on their original content. No one's quite clear on what the mandate is or what their goals are. Now we have this announcement, which... continues to be vague and offers no clear timeline or flow on how, when, or why this original content (most of which remains a nebulous mystery) will be consumed.

I'm barely clear on the difference between Apple Channels and Apple TV+, which is a major problem.

You nailed it.

Everyone in the industry is baffled by this thing. It's taken then two too many years to get their crap together on their original content. No one's quite clear on what the mandate is or what their goals are. Now we have this announcement, which... continues to be vague and offers no clear timeline or flow on how, when, or why this original content (most of which remains a nebulous mystery) will be consumed.

I'm barely clear on the difference between Apple Channels and Apple TV+, which is a major problem.
Apple does have a major competitive advantage over Netflix + Disney: cash. They have so much money. Even with their obsessive stock buybacks of the past years, they have unbelievable amounts of money + access to even more of it.

I'd be a little surprised if they don't release some of this content for free to get people hooked. They can afford to take a temporary loss because they're flush with cash.

I think while everyone focuses mostly on the domestic, people need to realize in certain places, this service will be DOA. In most of Asia to include India, this service won't be used because they already are oversaturated with free content/already paid for content.

This is perhap's Apple's worst idea yet.

Combine a few streaming services and some will be spending more than cable, with less total choice.
But, as always with a la carte, you're getting what you actually want. If one isn't, then they're not doing much critical thinking wrt their services.

Alright, i'm sold on this show, but there's no way I keep this service. I'll likely pick it up for a month here or there to binge a few shows, but between Netflix, Disney+/Hulu and HBO (on top of paying for Apple Music), there's no way I can justify this service as anything more than that.

Alright, i'm sold on this show, but there's no way I keep this service. I'll likely pick it up for a month here or there to binge a few shows, but between Netflix, Disney+/Hulu and HBO (on top of paying for Apple Music), there's no way I can justify this service as anything more than that.
I'm not sure if Apple is smart enough for this, but I'm convinced they'll bundle all of their services in with the iPhone Upgrade Plan.

An iPhone XS is $50 a month. If you give me an iPhone, Apple TV+, Apple Music, and Apple Arcade for like $60-65 a month, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Apple TV+ will release on November 1st, for the price of 4.99 for a Family subscription. Additionally, people with recently purchased Apple products (IPhone, AppleTV, Mac, Macbook, IPad) going forward, will get an annual subscription, on the house.

Apple TV Plus Service to Launch Nov. 1, Cost $4.99 – Variety
Thanks Disney+!

Really smart pricing. I wasn't going to pay a penny for Apple TV+, but I guess I'll try it since I'm getting a full year free. If I'm hooked, $5 a month is a good deal.