CityWalk Orlando Updates & Changes General Thread | Page 48 | Inside Universal Forums

CityWalk Orlando Updates & Changes General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
They’re still performing regularly in various other venues. I think they’re looking for a permanent home though.

It’ll be nice for the theater to get some renovation work, but I don’t feel it’s worth the cost of trading down to an inferior theater chain.
I haven't seen it listed in Orlando since AMC closed. Unless they are not featuring it on show times anymore

They’re still performing regularly in various other venues. I think they’re looking for a permanent home though.

It’ll be nice for the theater to get some renovation work, but I don’t feel it’s worth the cost of trading down to an inferior theater chain.
CineMark has the nicest theater in Orlando (Artegon) with a beautiful art-deco lobby and really spacious and comfortable theaters. Hardly inferior to the big box maze that is AMC Disney whatever-its-called-this-year :)

Reactions: SeventyOne
I haven't seen it listed in Orlando since AMC closed. Unless they are not featuring it on show times anymore
They’ve done several show in the Villages. They did a Halloween show at the Plaza (which looked like a pretty large venue and a nice fit for the large show on Halloween) I think they did a few others in some bars. The next one is scheduled for 12/15. Best way to know their schedule seems to be their Facebook page.
CineMark has the nicest theater in Orlando (Artegon) with a beautiful art-deco lobby and really spacious and comfortable theaters. Hardly inferior to the big box maze that is AMC Disney whatever-its-called-this-year :)
I’ve never been a fan of Cinemark. From my experience their theaters are nice at first and go downhill pretty fast. I’ve never been to the Artegon theater. I’ll probably never go to the Universal one again anyways so I suppose I’ll never know.

cineple.jpg

Well, if nothing else, I'd say its an improvement purely from a signage perspective.

They’ve done several show in the Villages. They did a Halloween show at the Plaza (which looked like a pretty large venue and a nice fit for the large show on Halloween) I think they did a few others in some bars. The next one is scheduled for 12/15. Best way to know their schedule seems to be their Facebook page.

I’ve never been a fan of Cinemark. From my experience their theaters are nice at first and go downhill pretty fast. I’ve never been to the Artegon theater. I’ll probably never go to the Universal one again anyways so I suppose I’ll never know.
Well, you're missing out on one of the really nice theaters. For me Regal is the awful experience one. Although the AMC at Disney isn't all that great either (I find the split box offices, the layout andIve had some really crappy experiences in projection and sound at AMC/Disney. The only exceptions are Theaters 1 & 2 there).

Well, you're missing out on one of the really nice theaters. For me Regal is the awful experience one. Although the AMC at Disney isn't all that great either (I find the split box offices, the layout andIve had some really crappy experiences in projection and sound at AMC/Disney. The only exceptions are Theaters 1 & 2 there).
Aside from a few small exceptions I don’t watch digital projection. So since AMC at Disney Springs has a projector that’s where I’m more likely to end up. I agree though I don’t like the layout of that theater. It’s the way it is because it’s basically a theater with another theater added on, made worse by them splitting them up and adding the dining thing.

In general though I prefer AMC over Cinemark, it’s really the location and how it was set up that has a lot more to do with the experience then the branding. I think it’s a fairly insignificant change. I pretty much only ever went to that theater for RHPS, so at this point I would rather they just gut it out and turn it into shops and restaurants. That’s just me obviously though and I’m sure many people will enjoy it as is.

It's a shame many of you aren't old enough to have experienced the grand individual movie theaters that started disappearing in the 70''s. Super huge screens, various cinema extended film styles, and plush opera house type interiors. I still recall having to wear a suit to most of the downtown Pittsburgh theaters up until the late 60's, early 70's. My last suit to a movie was for the original Planet of the Apes. Usually the theater would have exclusive road show rights and play the same movie for 3-6 months ( I remember Dr. Strangelove playing King's Court theater for over a year straight. That was one of the first theaters in the USA that, in later years, did the live participation Rocky Horror Pictures showings)......I think some of you would have really enjoyed those types of theaters..........In Pittsburgh, most of those opera house theaters have been renovated and now house the Pittsburgh Symphony, Pittsburgh Ballet, and live theater productions. So they do live on. Outside photo of one of the those ornate palaces are in UK Trigg's , 'Epic Trip' report (pg. 10, (Heinz Hall).

Last edited:
It's a shame many of you aren't old enough to have experienced the grand individual movie theaters that started disappearing in the 70''s. Super huge screens, various cinema extended film styles, and plush opera house type interiors. I still recall having to wear a suit to most of the downtown Pittsburgh theaters up until the late 60's, early 70's. My last suit to a movie was for the original Planet of the Apes. Usually the theater would have exclusive road show rights and play the same movie for 3-6 months ( I remember Dr. Strangelove playing King's Court theater for over a year straight. That was one of the first theaters in the USA that, in later years, did the live participation Rocky Horror Pictures showings)......I think some of you would have really enjoyed those types of theaters..........In Pittsburgh, most of those opera house theaters have been renovated and now house the Pittsburgh Symphony, Pittsburgh Ballet, and live theater productions. So they do live on. Outside photo of one of the those ornate palaces are in UK Trigg's , 'Epic Trip' report (pg. 10, (Heinz Hall).

I just saw Nightmare Before Christmas at the El Capitan in Hollywood and it was stunning! If I lived there, I would go see all of Disney's movies there. I know... no recliners and all that jazz but it felt truly special.

Reactions: Andysol and Mad Dog
I just saw Nightmare Before Christmas at the El Capitan in Hollywood and it was stunning! If I lived there, I would go see all of Disney's movies there. I know... no recliners and all that jazz but it felt truly special.
:thumbsup:...Yes. The difference from watching a movie in a multi plex is night and day.....The Epic movies that were in Cinemascope, and related film techniques, were even more stunning (How the West Was Won, Ben Hur, etc.)

Reactions: Andysol
Aside from a few small exceptions I don’t watch digital projection. So since AMC at Disney Springs has a projector that’s where I’m more likely to end up. I agree though I don’t like the layout of that theater. It’s the way it is because it’s basically a theater with another theater added on, made worse by them splitting them up and adding the dining thing.

In general though I prefer AMC over Cinemark, it’s really the location and how it was set up that has a lot more to do with the experience then the branding. I think it’s a fairly insignificant change. I pretty much only ever went to that theater for RHPS, so at this point I would rather they just gut it out and turn it into shops and restaurants. That’s just me obviously though and I’m sure many people will enjoy it as is.
The only time I have seen AMC use a film projector was was rare 70mm engagements (The last was "Dunkirk"), - they've never used it for 35mm projection (I'm not even sure its still there as it was originally a loner installed for "The Hateful Eight" by the studio). The layout became worse when they decided the Dine-In and regular theaters would have separate entrances. The one nice thing is does have is Dolby Cinema, which uses lasers for much better contrast - but they never opted to add the 3D enhancement to it.

Some of the larger cities still have big theaters. But even in Orlando we occasionally still get the 70mm films - we got "Dunkirk" and "The Hateful Eight". Epic digital films have now gone to 65mm Alexis65, and some even use the old Ultra Panavision lenses that were taken out of mothball for "The Hateful Eight" allowing for a sharper image in a 2:35 projection. We have only one laser theater although rumor is Pointe Orlando will convert to IMAX Laser later this year. (BTW there are two theaters left that can show 3-projector Cinema - in Seattle and LA)

Reactions: Mad Dog
Yeah, one of my favorite theaters is the Paramount theater in Austin. Like you said the experience in those is far better.
The only time I have seen AMC use a film projector was was rare 70mm engagements (The last was "Dunkirk"), - they've never used it for 35mm projection (I'm not even sure its still there as it was originally a loner installed for "The Hateful Eight" by the studio). The layout became worse when they decided the Dine-In and regular theaters would have separate entrances. The one nice thing is does have is Dolby Cinema, which uses lasers for much better contrast - but they never opted to add the 3D enhancement to it.
Yep, actually the last movie I saw was Hateful Eight. I was tempted to see Dunkirk, but I'm just not really into war movies and never found the time while it was showing. I just don't see any value in going to these theaters to watch a video that's no different than watching a Blu-ray at home.

Awwww Man!, I wish I could’ve seen that!:'( It looks so cool!:cheers::clap:

Awwww Man!, I wish I could’ve seen that!:'( It looks so cool!:cheers::clap:
If you're near enough to some of the bigger cities they do 70mm revivals. And the CineramaDome and Seattle Cinerama often do Cinerama festivals. (I saw "How The West Was Won" in 3-strip Cinerama at Dayton, Ohio during a revival there and now i understand why people paid the equivalent of $50 for top seats)

Has there been any more rumors about any retail changes to CityWalk? The stores they have right now are so weak.

I’d personally love to see a flagship Build-A-Bear Workshop. With some exclusive bears, I think it would be an amazing addition.

Last edited:
Has there been any more rumors about any retail changes to CityWalk. The stores they have right now are so weak.

I’d personally love to see a flagship Build-A-Bear Workshop. With some exclusive bears, I think it would be an amazing addition.

I second the former, and I give a hundred seconds to the latter. I don't care that I'm in my mid twenties. I will go buy a stuffed animal for myself.

*insert Stephen Colbert's "gimme"*

Reactions: RevFreako
The theme parks have a ton of stuffed animals for sale, in my opinion the stuffed market is saturated.
I think most shops are alright and are nice additions for the traveler who forgot or would really want.
Forgot shorts, check!
Have a hole in your swim trunks, check!
You need a watch, check!
Want a tattoo with a minion yelling Banana on you bottom, check!
It's rounded out pretty good. ;)

Reactions: truejonas
The theme parks have a ton of stuffed animals for sale, in my opinion the stuffed market is saturated.

Hmm, good point. Although, bringing a stuffed animal to life is significantly cooler than buying one off the shelf, at least in my experience.

I guess the big issue is a lot of the places in CityWalk are more "high end" and a lot more expensive than, say, Walmart. Then again, you're at a theme park. Things are going to be more expensive. I'd rather see some unique experiences (such as the brainstormed escape rooms) than buy more merch. You can run out of places to store merch. Experiences, you can always buy more.