Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

WDW Parks Banning Smoking, Stroller Wagons, Loose Ice Beginning May 1st

I will say, this has been years in the making at Disney (and sorta at Universal, too). The smoking areas have been disappearing at the parks to the point where there's only a few throughout the parks as it is. I'd certainly expect Universal to be watching this closely to see how it plays out as I know they want to go this route, too.

Also, the irony of a Cigar store operating at Disney Springs while implementing this is hilarious to me. I know the ban doesn't apply to DS, but still lol.

I will say, this has been years in the making at Disney (and sorta at Universal, too). The smoking areas have been disappearing at the parks to the point where there's only a few throughout the parks as it is. I'd certainly expect Universal to be watching this closely to see how it plays out as I know they want to go this route, too.

Also, the irony of a Cigar store operating at Disney Springs while implementing this is hilarious to me. I know the ban doesn't apply to DS, but still lol.

Universal has a smoking area at every turn almost. I don’t think Universal would ever take that drastic of an action but better hidden smoking areas is a step in the right direction.

Universal has a smoking area at every turn almost. I don’t think Universal would ever take that drastic of an action but better hidden smoking areas is a step in the right direction.
Nope. May seem like that because a bunch of people are smoking where they aren't supposed to (because Universal moves smoking areas all the time), but there's only 5-6 in USF total. I'm not quite sure about IOA.

Of note, Diagon, London, KZ, Production and Simpsons ALL don't have smoking areas.

Last edited:
Nope. May seem like that because a bunch of people are smoking where they aren't supposed to (because Universal moves smoking areas all the time), but there's only 5-6 in USF total. I'm not quite sure about IOA.

Of note, Diagon, London, KZ, Production and Simpsons ALL don't have smoking areas.

https://cache.undercovertourist.com/media_file/universal-studios-florida-20224-16318474086.pdf

I know this is an older map but I count 8 at USF and I'm sure they were there last year, except maybe the one beside Shrek.

DL in 2017 only had one in each park by contrast.

https://cache.undercovertourist.com/media_file/universal-studios-florida-20224-16318474086.pdf

I know this is an older map but I count 8 at USF and I'm sure they were there last year, except maybe the one beside Shrek.

DL in 2017 only had one in each park by contrast.
One of those is outside the park and the Shrek one isn’t there as you said. So 6 or so. About three of those have moved since then - the ones shown in Gramercy Park, Battery Park and the one that was near Springfield. They’ve been moved near the Subway station in New York, Next to T2 entrance and next to Gardens of Allah, respectively.

I agree Uni isn’t as close to making this change, especially with their demographic skewing older, but I also would suggest DLR isn’t a good comparison. California is a lot different when it comes to smoking than Florida for one thing, but DL also didn’t have much room to work with anymore.

One of those is outside the park and the Shrek one isn’t there as you said. So 6 or so. About three of those have moved since then - the ones shown in Gramercy Park, Battery Park and the one that was near Springfield. They’ve been moved near the Subway station in New York, Next to T2 entrance and next to Gardens of Allah, respectively.

I agree Uni isn’t as close to making this change, especially with their demographic skewing older, but I also would suggest DLR isn’t a good comparison. California is a lot different when it comes to smoking than Florida for one thing, but DL also didn’t have much room to work with anymore.

The one in DL is right next to the entrance for Star Wars so I’m guessing it was on its way out anyway.

The weird thing about California is that I have never seen so many smokers as I have at LAX. Even being used to seeing people smoke relatively often, I thought it was excessive.

The weird thing about California is that I have never seen so many smokers as I have at LAX. Even being used to seeing people smoke relatively often, I thought it was excessive.

I think an airport would have a higher concentration of visible smokers because people are just getting on or off planes where they are going to go hours without smoking. That would lead to a higher concentration or getting that last/first cig.

And you just know some Security guards are gonna love this authority over guests in such a powerful way that they'll be sure to give us one. Security is full of either pushovers or people who are drunk with power.

So is life, unfortunately...

Security is full of either pushovers or people who are drunk with power.

So is life, unfortunately...

Just in certain countries, and namely because they need to based on the clientele and our centuries old culture of defiance (which is both good and bad).

If Japan made this ban, for example, no one would say a thing and obey it as rules are to be followed without question (which is also good and bad).

It’s a trade off and it cuts both ways. I, for one, wish we had more “drunk with power” security than pushovers. Why? Because I, personally, accept and follow rules.

Something I've read is that the reason it's happening is that at DL they are just flat out of room and have plans for anywhere there is a smoking area. Once it was decided to do it there, it makes sense to do it everywhere.
Even if it was 1 smoking section it would be enough and i for sure wouldn't complain. There is no way they dont have room for 1 smoking area Its just not that big of an issue to be banning smoking on property, somethings up:ninja:

Its been a while since I've been to USF or IoA and even longer so since I smoked (YAY GO ME!!), but one of Uni's biggest problems with smokers is they keep on moving smoking sections back and forth.

Areas that definitely stick out and cause confusion are the Shrek/Hidden Locker smoking area, the FFL corner and FFL bathroom cut thru, and the MIB smoking area flipped so often it may as well be all of World Expo.

Also most smokers generally feel that any area outside of the parks (garage, City Walk, park entrances) are considered free game

Universal is much smaller and more compact, so I feel like they could institute a smoking ban much more easily.

I heard some of the In The Loop podcast's takes on the smoking ban and I think there's going to be a lot of angry smokers when this is implemented. It's going to be an easy 20+ minute walk to leave the park to grab a smoke. If the smoking area is before security (and smokers have to go back through security post-smoke), there's going to be riots.