Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a Nickelodeon indoor theme park being built in New Jersey so I'm guessing they're taking back any theme park rights from Universal after any existing agreements expire.

So who knows how long Universal will be able to continue to use Spongebob in any capacity.

That all being said, Spongebob's popularity is nowhere close to what it was in its heyday so IMO it's diminishing returns on that IP as time continues to go by.

That park is just liscensing the characters the same as Universal. Mall of America has been doing the same for years now

For what it is, if sesame street can spongebob can for sure.

Not sure you can compare spongebob to sesame street. I'm in my early 30s and have never seen spongebob. I feel like spongebob appeals to 1 0r 2 generations, while sesame street began 30 years before spongebob. Sesame street was a perfect fit for SeaWorld that invites the whole family not just the young adult, teenager crowd.

Not sure you can compare spongebob to sesame street. I'm in my early 30s and have never seen spongebob. I feel like spongebob appeals to 1 0r 2 generations, while sesame street began 30 years before spongebob. Sesame street was a perfect fit for SeaWorld that invites the whole family not just the young adult, teenager crowd.

Keep in mind your own interests do not necessarily reflect that of the rest of the population. I don't know much about Sponge Bob but I do know there are fans in their 30s and it's a popular property in general.

I dont think sesame street that focuses on a bird and some monsters is a better fit for seaworld than spongebob which focuses on sea animals. I still think its a sesame is a weird choice but they needed something and its cute.

While I do agree that it is not as popular as Sesame Street, I feel like Spongebob has made its way into mainstream culture through memes and so on. So while everyone may not have seen it as opposed to Sesame Street, they have heard of it. Spongebob premiered when I was 5, so I grew up watching it (when I was too old for Elmo). While only one or two generations might be interested, a Bikini Bottom area would be popular for the next 10-20 years as those generations grow up. And if they put it in Toon Lagoon as I mentioned earlier, it would breathe life back into an area that has been outdated for at least two decades (as much as I love it).

Keep in mind your own interests do not necessarily reflect that of the rest of the population. I don't know much about Sponge Bob but I do know there are fans in their 30s and it's a popular property in general.

I never said there weren't fans. Spongebob is popular. All I said is that it should not be compared to Sesame Street. Sesame street includes more generations currently, and there may be 30 year olds that have watched sponge bob, but they shouldn't reflect the rest of the population either just like you said.

I think I touched a nerve. not my intention.

I dont think sesame street that focuses on a bird and some monsters is a better fit for seaworld than spongebob which focuses on sea animals. I still think its a sesame is a weird choice but they needed something and its cute.

I meant it was a perfect fit because it includes all demographics of the family. Parents, grandparents, teenagers, and preschoolers all can relate to when they used to watch sesame street or had friends that watched sesame street. Sponge bob would have worked fine with the theming of sea world, but I feel wouldn't have had as mass appeal.

While I do agree that it is not as popular as Sesame Street, I feel like Spongebob has made its way into mainstream culture through memes and so on. So while everyone may not have seen it as opposed to Sesame Street, they have heard of it. Spongebob premiered when I was 5, so I grew up watching it (when I was too old for Elmo). While only one or two generations might be interested, a Bikini Bottom area would be popular for the next 10-20 years as those generations grow up. And if they put it in Toon Lagoon as I mentioned earlier, it would breathe life back into an area that has been outdated for at least two decades (as much as I love it).

I don't know if spongebob is still running. I know it started when I was entering high school so about 2000 or 1999. If it is not running on tv anymore but parents show it to their kids, they yes it could work for the next 10-20 years. I never said Spongebob was not a good IP. I said I felt it should not be compared to a show that has been running for 50 years.

I never said there weren't fans. Spongebob is popular. All I said is that it should not be compared to Sesame Street. Sesame street includes more generations currently, and there may be 30 year olds that have watched sponge bob, but they shouldn't reflect the rest of the population either just like you said.

I think I touched a nerve. not my intention.

I meant it was a perfect fit because it includes all demographics of the family. Parents, grandparents, teenagers, and preschoolers all can relate to when they used to watch sesame street or had friends that watched sesame street. Sponge bob would have worked fine with the theming of sea world, but I feel wouldn't have had as mass appeal.

I don't know if spongebob is still running. I know it started when I was entering high school so about 2000 or 1999. If it is not running on tv anymore but parents show it to their kids, they yes it could work for the next 10-20 years. I never said Spongebob was not a good IP. I said I felt it should not be compared to a show that has been running for 50 years.
Isn’t there another spongebob movie in the works? And yes I believe the show is still going

The Sponge bob musical closed early because it couldn't recoup the investment money as well as the films under performed compared to how popular the television show is around the world. For comparison, the disliked on this forum Boss Baby and Home made more in the Box Office than Spongebob which already was an established brand. (The Spongebob Movie only made $140 million WW and Spongebob: Sponge out of Water made $326 Million WW whereas Boss Baby Made 527 Million WW and Home made 387 Million WW)

Additionally show wise, Spongebob has experienced a drop of viewership by 30%. Add in the fact, that according to data by Nielsen and other media tracking entities, most kids are moving to Netflix and Netflix does not have Spongebob distribution license (Amazon does), its likely its popularity will continue to get lower.

Look at Merchadise perspective, Spongebob licensing was primarily for clothing (to include collabs with high level designers and companies such as Nike, Puma, Jeremy Scott) to make custom attire rather than toys, entertainment products etc per Licensing Global's "Top 150 Licensors-2018 edition". This likely indicates while there is an awareness of Spongebob by the public, the demographic would not be a formidable revenue driver for Universal Parks that would benefit from merch sales. (I.e Spongebob Plush popularity low and I doubt Universal guests will go to Bikini Bottom to buy designer clothing goods)

The main thing going for it is nostalgia which the last two generations has for the show as they have grown up with it the last almost twenty years but I don't think its a proper justification for Universal to pay Viacom money to be allowed to use Spongebob as I don't believe they will properly gain value over the long haul from the investment and the level of investment needed for a Spongebob based land would have to go big.

The Sponge bob musical closed early because it couldn't recoup the investment money as well as the films under performed compared to how popular the television show is around the world. For comparison, the disliked on this forum Boss Baby and Home made more in the Box Office than Spongebob which already was an established brand. (The Spongebob Movie only made $140 million WW and Spongebob: Sponge out of Water made $326 Million WW whereas Boss Baby Made 527 Million WW and Home made 387 Million WW)

Additionally show wise, Spongebob has experienced a drop of viewership by 30%. Add in the fact, that according to data by Nielsen and other media tracking entities, most kids are moving to Netflix and Netflix does not have Spongebob distribution license (Amazon does), its likely its popularity will continue to get lower.

Look at Merchadise perspective, Spongebob licensing was primarily for clothing (to include collabs with high level designers and companies such as Nike, Puma, Jeremy Scott) to make custom attire rather than toys, entertainment products etc per Licensing Global's "Top 150 Licensors-2018 edition". This likely indicates while there is an awareness of Spongebob by the public, the demographic would not be a formidable revenue driver for Universal Parks that would benefit from merch sales. (I.e Spongebob Plush popularity low and I doubt Universal guests will go to Bikini Bottom to buy designer clothing goods)

The main thing going for it is nostalgia which the last two generations has for the show as they have grown up with it the last almost twenty years but I don't think its a proper justification for Universal to pay Viacom money to be allowed to use Spongebob as I don't believe they will properly gain value over the long haul from the investment and the level of investment needed for a Spongebob based land would have to go big.
If Sponge out of Water did poorly, why is it getting a sequel? :crazy:

And The Spongebob Movie was released in 2004, so those numbers aren’t accounting inflation.

Not really sure why you’re determined to say that a franchise that has endless Food & Beverage opportunities, iconic places and scenes. Hell, it was the main talk of the Super Bowl halftime show because people were mad that there wasn’t more spongebob.

And Spongebob: The Musical was really, really good. Another thing that could be used in a land (abridged, of course).

If Sponge out of Water did poorly, why is it getting a sequel? :crazy:

And The Spongebob Movie was released in 2004, so those numbers aren’t accounting inflation.

Not really sure why you’re determined to say that a franchise that has endless Food & Beverage opportunities, iconic places and scenes. Hell, it was the main talk of the Super Bowl halftime show because people were mad that there wasn’t more spongebob.

And Spongebob: The Musical was really, really good. Another thing that could be used in a land (abridged, of course).

Its not a sequel to Sponge Out of Water....its a prequel/origin story to the entire Spongebob series.

I'm gonna disagree on the food and I will point out why in a second.

And while it does have iconic locations (Chum Bucket, Crusty Krab, Spongebob, Patrick, Squidward, and Sandy's home, Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy's cave, etc), it comes down to ROI. The main food options for Spongebob is the Krabby Patty and the 20 milliion variations, Triple Gooberberry Sundae, and maybe the Kelp Shake. So now what's gonna set a Krabby Patty from a regular burger? Chum bucket food can't be served because to be authentic to the series, that food was nasty and I don't see them selling the other food options.

Upon further research, Viacom stated in their court case in 2016 preventing a Krusty Krab from opening in Houston that they, Viacom, planned to open their own chain of restaurants which likely make probably why Universal hasn't made a Krusty Krab yet. (of note, there was one Krusty Krab in Palestine but I'm pretty sure the courts and government are more worried about other things than copyright infringement)

It also probably why none of the other licensed locations have a Krusty Krab as well. So without that food option, whats the point of Spongebob than say oh we have Spongebob?

So without that food option, whats the point of Spongebob than say oh we have Spongebob?
The character is like Scooby-Doo and The Simpsons... imo, Spongebob is evergreen. Yeah, the seasons for probably close to 10 years have been mediocre to average, but the original seasons with Hillenburg were so good and had many iconic episodes (Glove World, Krusty Krab Pizza, Cheater Spongebob, Sweet Victory episode, etc) that it has made the character so beloved.

Also, here's some unique-to-the-franchise food options:
  • Barnacle Loaf
  • Bran Flakes
  • Fried Oyster Skins
  • Holographic Meatloaf
  • Jelly Patty
  • Kelp Jerky
  • Kelp Nougat Crunch
  • Kelp Shake
  • Pop Kelp
  • Seahourse Radish
  • Seanut Brittle
  • Spongebob's Excersize Shake
  • Spongebob's Sundae
  • Swedish Barnacle Balls
  • Yummy Stuff
  • Seahourse Milk
  • Drinkable Sausage
  • Rusty on Rye
  • Barnacle Chips
  • Volcano Sauce
More here: List of foods and drinks | Encyclopedia SpongeBobia | FANDOM powered by Wikia

Last edited:
Its not a sequel to Sponge Out of Water....its a prequel/origin story to the entire Spongebob series.

I'm gonna disagree on the food and I will point out why in a second.

And while it does have iconic locations (Chum Bucket, Crusty Krab, Spongebob, Patrick, Squidward, and Sandy's home, Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy's cave, etc), it comes down to ROI. The main food options for Spongebob is the Krabby Patty and the 20 milliion variations, Triple Gooberberry Sundae, and maybe the Kelp Shake. So now what's gonna set a Krabby Patty from a regular burger? Chum bucket food can't be served because to be authentic to the series, that food was nasty and I don't see them selling the other food options.

Upon further research, Viacom stated in their court case in 2016 preventing a Krusty Krab from opening in Houston that they, Viacom, planned to open their own chain of restaurants which likely make probably why Universal hasn't made a Krusty Krab yet. (of note, there was one Krusty Krab in Palestine but I'm pretty sure the courts and government are more worried about other things than copyright infringement)

It also probably why none of the other licensed locations have a Krusty Krab as well. So without that food option, whats the point of Spongebob than say oh we have Spongebob?
Don’t you mean Israel?

The new episodes are awful so I expect a drop in viewership

I still think Spongebob is engrained into pop culture and if a major Universal land was announced, people would flock to it

But, in my opinion, Universal and Disney could be the only ones to do it justice

Bottom line is, with DreamWorks and Illumination, Universal doesn't need Spongbob. I would expect Spongebob Storepants to be rethemed when KidZone is replaced. In the Superstar Parade, Spongebob should be replaced by Trolls and Dora should be replaced by Madagascar. HTTYD, Panda, and Potter should go into a night parade.

Universal also no longer needs Scooby and the gang.

Scooby's great, but Universal is not using him and the gang to their full potential. The company has just left him around as some sort of sad reminder of the early days. There is no attraction and no real merchandise to speak of. Why keep dishing out licensing fees year after year?

Status
Not open for further replies.