Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

Yeah...

th

I'm going to have

GameOfThrones_620_092012.jpg

to disagree with you

image.jpg

on this one.

tumblr_inline_o5ykp8idj71tdxckh_500.gif

Ok, while I still say it shouldn't come to HHN I clearly need to start watching this show again

I'm going to have to agree here; I think GoT would create a slippery slope.

I'm just significantly less interested in properties that aren't predominantly horror (e.g. Ghostbusters, GoT, and even Stranger Things [although, I think you could argue that StrTh is more heavy on horror than the other two]). Now, clearly, those properties could still succeed as houses. I would just always prefer horror properties over popular properties with elements of horror.

Yeah...

th

I'm going to have

to disagree with you

image.jpg

on this one.

I have to agree with @johnathanm on this one, GoT just wouldn’t work at HHN. Now I haven’t seen GoT but I have seen some episodes here and there and by what I’m told about it I can’t see it working. It’s just not fully HORROR and at HHN I want Horror. There may be some good parts to it but they all so spread out it’s almost not there. Also at HHN I want to feel like there’s a threat in the house but with GoT all the main killing happens between the different “families” and not random people like in other IPs we had. TV shows just usually don’t make good houses. We may have had other TV shows as IPs but those where about horror The Walking DEAD and American HORROR story and did kill random people in the show. Also by what I understand the Zombies didn’t come in till last season.

I have to agree with @johnathanm on this one, GoT just wouldn’t work at HHN. Now I haven’t seen GoT but I have seen some episodes here and there and by what I’m told about it I can’t see it working. It’s just not fully HORROR and at HHN I want Horror. There may be some good parts to it but they all so spread out it’s almost not there. Also at HHN I want to feel like there’s a threat in the house but with GoT all the main killing happens between the different “families” and not random people like in other IPs we had. TV shows just usually don’t make good houses. We may have had other TV shows as IPs but those where about horror The Walking DEAD and American HORROR story and did kill random people in the show. Also by what I understand the Zombies didn’t come in till last season.

I don’t think it should come either. Even though I’d totally enjoy the house.

However having only seen a few episodes you don’t really have much to go on, there’s a wealth of horror content. Also ice zombies are in the first 10 mins of the first episode and are a looming threat throughout.

Also ice zombie bear, dragons, ice dragons, dire wolves, wildlings, generic scary knights in armour, ice zombie children. Arguably easier to adapt than stranger things, poltergeist, the shining, exorcist. Obvs 3 of those are “horrors” though, so more desirable for HHN fans.

Serious question because I don't know every house that has been at HHN. Have they ever adapted an IP that wasn't entirely horror focused and turned it into a horror house?

Serious question because I don't know every house that has been at HHN. Have they ever adapted an IP that wasn't entirely horror focused and turned it into a horror house?
Doomsday
Fear Factor
Marvel Comics
Jurassic Park (not horror)
Fear Factor
The Mummy (Brendan Frasier version)

Dracula Untold is ill-defined.

Some of the killings are families and political power but the whole point of the show is winter is coming and the eventual frozen apocalypse of all the white walkers and zombies coming to kill everybody in site which is what I was saying would make for a great house. The point is while no the main idea of the show is not horror there are certainly horror elements. Stranger things is mostly not horror but there are a few scenes. Ghostbusters is a comedy movie with some spooky elements and that has the possibility of being a house. So what’s the difference?

Last edited:
Yeah...

th

I'm going to have

to disagree with you

image.jpg

on this one.

I definitely see your point. There is clearly more gore/violence present in GoT than StrTh. And more characters that could be considered horror. My point was simply that as a whole, the tone of StrTh is designed to be closer to horror than GoT, which is better categorized as fantasy.

Additional thoughts: I’m also not claiming that GoT doesn’t have the potential to be an impressive house. My only point before was that I, personally, would prefer to see predominantly horror properties over non-predominantly horror properties that have elements of horror (This applies to StrTh and Ghostbusters as well, imo).

I would prefer to see IP’s represented that have a natural fit (in tone) for the event rather than properties (albeit, cool properties like GoT) that could be manipulated in order to fit the tone of the event.

Last edited:

To be a contrarian, 90% of The Walking Dead is characters sitting around talking about the philosophy of civilization or whatever. HHN ignored all that and managed to get 5 houses out of the other 10%. And GoT isn't just ice zombies. There are people they skin their enemies alive and hang them from crosses. There are cannibal barbarians. Evil blue skinned wizard people. People getting burned alive by dragons or magical nepalm. And so much iconic, creepy scenery. There's a lot to draw on.

I realize we're talking TV show, not books, but the latter are filled with references to Lovecraft. To a point a persistent rumor is that the "gods" referenced in-universe ate actually Cthulu-like aliens. The author wrote a lot of horror stories over his career and included elements of that in his weird take on the War of the Roses But With Dragons.