Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)

I know Avatar gets a lot of hate, but it's still the highest grossing movie of all time. A sequel a decade later will be hyped to death.
Fox/Disney night hype it to death but doesn’t mean the general public will care that much. The movie made bank due the Fantastic 3D and unless it has a new technology to make it stand out it’s not even near the hype for Avengers.

Fox/Disney night hype it to death but doesn’t mean the general public will care that much. The movie made bank due the Fantastic 3D and unless it has a new technology to make it stand out it’s not even near the hype for Avengers.
I wonder if he's still going for the HFR after what happened with "The Hobbit"

Endgame is the culmination of a 10 year story. Infinity War was an event movie, where even casual fans eventually went out and saw it. Now they want their answers ASAP.

The closest thing will be Episode 9, because it ends the "Saga" - but it's also not the last Star Wars movie. Once the trailer comes out, all doubts because of TLJ will be out the window (Unless it somehow looks terrible.)

Avatar 2 will have some hype - but I don't think it'll match either SW or the MCU. The first one had the hype of Cameron's first movie in a while, and it was an original story, plus all the tech and 3D that it was revolutionizing. Some of that shine will not be present for #2.

The discussion of Avatar 2 vs Endgame is the equivalent of arguing Hagrid's vs GotG.

No one has ridden either and we only know a little about one and a sliver about the other.

It's fun to have predictions, but the truth will come out in the end.

The discussion of Avatar 2 vs Endgame is the equivalent of arguing Hagrid's vs GotG.

No one has ridden either and we only know a little about one and a sliver about the other.

It's fun to have predictions, but the truth will come out in the end.

Well, we do have one day of proof with Endgame hype... :lol:

From Polygon:

Avengers: Endgame had the biggest day one of any theatrical presale title ever — and it got there in six hours. Not only did Avengers: Endgame break records for ticket presales, Fandango confirmed to Polygon that Tuesday was also the site’s best sales day ever in over 19 years of business.

You're right - we won't know about Avatar until we get there - but that's a tough act to follow.

My stance remains: Avatar won’t have “hype” as much as just genuine interest. It will also have a bit of nostalgia factor since the sequel is coming out 11 years after the original.

My stance remains: Avatar won’t have “hype” as much as just genuine interest. It will also have a bit of nostalgia factor since the sequel is coming out 11 years after the original.

Also wanted to add: The first Avatar didn't break any records opening weekend - making only $77m at the BO ($90m in today's world). I wouldn't call that a culmination of hype.

Also wanted to add: The first Avatar didn't break any records opening weekend - making only $77m at the BO ($90m in today's world). I wouldn't call that a culmination of hype.
Yup.

I would probably call it groundbreaking in a different way than normally said... it turned the December Holiday period into the new time to release big blockbusters (and have long legs to boot).

We’re straying far away from Endgame though so should probably circle back around somehow :lol:

Avatar is highest grossing purely because everyone bought the upcharge 3D tickets for it. It didn’t need as many tickets sold as most movies to make the same amount of money. I’d expect the same thing to happen with Avatar 2 if they play their cards right. Now higher grossing than Endgame. That might be too high of a mountain to climb.

Avatar is highest grossing purely because everyone bought the upcharge 3D tickets for it. It didn’t need as many tickets sold as most movies to make the same amount of money. I’d expect the same thing to happen with Avatar 2 if they play their cards right. Now higher grossing than Endgame. That might be too high of a mountain to climb.
If Cameron was able to achieve glasses-free 3D like he wanted to, then i'd agree. That'd be a game changer for movie theaters. I think Avatar's Worldwide total will be tough for any movie to pass. Endgame is really the only movie that even has an outside shot at it in the foreseeable future, imo.