Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

My issues with the event are more operational in nature. It's too expensive, too crowded, and too hectic for me to actually have a good time.

My passion comes from my personal historical connection to the event itself and my respect for the artistry. I believe haunts can be one of the most difficult and nuanced forms of live story-telling. More so than theater. With theater, you get as much time as you need to say everything that needs to be said about a character, a story, a setting, whatever. What's a character's motivation? Give them a monologue. What year are we in? Throw up a title card.

In a haunt, you have the few seconds it takes to walk through a scene, including the fewer seconds you get to see a scareactor. All the pieces have to click for a single instance in order for the story to work. The scenic, the lighting, the background noise/music, the scare sound, the costume, the make-up, even the way the scareactor appears all have to align. If one of those components don't jive, the entire scare can fall apart. And you only have a second to get it to work.

I have always been really jealous that there are so many haunts in America. From the big events like HHN to hayrides to some guy setting it up in his back yard. They aren't a thing at all here in the UK so I try to soak as much of it all in when I get the chance.

I agree that they are a very unique way to engage with an audience.

My passion comes from my personal historical connection to the event itself and my respect for the artistry. I believe haunts can be one of the most difficult and nuanced forms of live story-telling. More so than theater. With theater, you get as much time as you need to say everything that needs to be said about a character, a story, a setting, whatever. What's a character's motivation? Give them a monologue. What year are we in? Throw up a title card.

In a haunt, you have the few seconds it takes to walk through a scene, including the fewer seconds you get to see a scareactor. All the pieces have to click for a single instance in order for the story to work. The scenic, the lighting, the background noise/music, the scare sound, the costume, the make-up, even the way the scareactor appears all have to align. If one of those components don't jive, the entire scare can fall apart. And you only have a second to get it to work.
This is the reason I (and many other haunters) have sleepless nights typically starting around June.

My issues with the event are more operational in nature. It's too expensive, too crowded, and too hectic for me to actually have a good time.

Do you get a chance to attend any other haunts then? It’s a shame you can’t make it anymore but I don’t blame you for not going. I’m local now so I can take my time with it, come and go as I please. But if I moved back home I know I’m too much of a cheapskate to shell all that money out I’d need to in order to enjoy myself. I’d probably only end up going on anniversary years.

Tbh, if I were you (& if I had the means) I’d open up my own haunt. I’m sure it’s all easier said than done but you’ve obviously got the talent, passion, experience, to back it up. It seems like a no brainer to me.

Do you get a chance to attend any other haunts then? It’s a shame you can’t make it anymore but I don’t blame you for not going. I’m local now so I can take my time with it, come and go as I please. But if I moved back home I know I’m too much of a cheapskate to shell all that money out I’d need to in order to enjoy myself. I’d probably only end up going on anniversary years.

Tbh, if I were you (& if I had the means) I’d open up my own haunt. I’m sure it’s all easier said than done but you’ve obviously got the talent, passion, experience, to back it up. It seems like a no brainer to me.
When I can. It's not a huge priority. Did a couple last year, and I'm trying to line up some stuff where I can work with one this year.

I’m gonna this guess out there and say the Simpsons clue is UCM. They’ll be presented in colors rather than in black and white.
I agree with this. With the clue the main thing that sticks out to me is the color. UCM where black and white until color was added.

Edit- I just watched the episode and the uniform they where made to wear at school was grey and white and they when it rained and got wet they becomes colorful. So it makes further sense as UCM from going black and white to in color.

Last edited:
My "perfect" event?

IPs
True Blood
The Final Girls
The Conspiracy
Z Nation
Devil's Pass

Originals
Ghostlight: Spirits of Shakespeare
Terminal 13 (Airport-based Original)
Hell High: School Musi-kill (or Hell High: Reunion)
Infestation (Mutant bug uprising)
Deja-Vu (high-concept original haunt where every scene is the same room, only with different scare locations and look variations. One room is covered in blood. One is different colors. One is upside down. Etc).

I still wouldn't attend though.

EDIT - This event is pretty redundant, looking at it again.

The Final Girls = Hell High (teen "slasher")
True Blood, Z Nation, and Ghostlight are all "compilation" houses.
Let's see, I've got

Monsters
Slasher
Atmosphere
Sci-fi
Ghost
Zombies
Beasts

I need "Riot" and "Funhouse" or Gore...

Revised-

True Blood
The Final Girls

The Conspiracy
Devil's Pass

Originals
Ghostlight: Spirits of Shakespeare

Terminal 13 (Airport-based Original)
Chop Shop (Auto garage/body part black market -> Fills Riot/Gore)
Infestation (Mutant bug uprising)
Deja-Vu (high-concept original haunt where every scene is the same room, only with different scare locations and look variations. One room is covered in blood. One is different colors. One is upside down. Etc).
Dark Fortunes (Funhouse style house based on different methods for telling the future. I'm actually building this in Sketchup right now)

I LOVE all those originals except Deja vu. Don't hate that one but I would absolutely love the other 4 (including the high school musical one- if there was also super cheesy singing and dancing mixed in! We were so disappointed the barbers in slaughter sinema didn't sing barbershop quartet while killing).

And I travel a lot for work, an airport one would really resonate with me. I'd never get my daughter into the bug house, though...

Last edited:
I LOVE all those originals except Deja vu. Don't hate that one but I would absolutely love the other 4 (including the high school musical one- if there was also super cheesy singing and dancing mixed in! We were so disappointed the barbers in slaughter sinema didn't sing barbershop quartet while killing).

And I travel a lot for work, an airport one would really resonate with me. I'd never get my daughter into the bug house, though...

I'd love a house that takes place JUST on a plane, like, in flight--could be a cool idea for an In-Between sequel.

Last edited:
A plane with a 3 hour delay at the gate, non functioning toilet and the film Swordfish on repeated loop.... The Horror...

I joke, but I am intrigued by the airport based house idea, any further elaboration @Legacy ?
I need to see if I can find my old write-up and put it on my site.

Basically, it's zombie infested airport. You start at ticketing, go through baggage claim, maintenance bay, a duty-free store, security check-point, the gate, walk through the boarding ramp (where a storm has started), then end through the airplane.

Rebooked my trip for Sept 24- Oct 1. This time including my pleasantly significant other. Likely will do 10:30 6 house unmasking tour on the 28th or 29th depending on what is available when.

Edit- house tour on the 29th confirmed.
My husband and I are planning to do the 6 house Unmasking on the 29th as well.