Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

My husband and I are planning to do the 6 house Unmasking on the 29th as well.
This is the creep I am. Feel free to say hi! :)
57170556_10156451242533667_8998506906653818880_n.jpg

Questions for Legacy...what is your process for designing houses? ie Do you start with a treatment, then design x number of rooms? What Software do you use to design the layout (referring to the Shakespeare house on your site)? And do you work within certain perimeters (ie certain number of scare actors, certain square footage, only this many rooms).

I have no idea what that clue is, but based on the fact Legacy didn't include the text of what the character is saying, i'd wager we can rule out focusing on that too much?

I need to re-watch it, but I'm pretty sure Bizarro Quinn is pouring salt on the severed head of communications guy Sparks.

Mostly. Except that’s the bizarro Sparks who is just a floating head in a jar.

I believe as he’s saying “I’m helping you” as he pours the salt. He’s also allergic to peanuts.

Questions for Legacy...what is your process for designing houses? ie Do you start with a treatment, then design x number of rooms? What Software do you use to design the layout (referring to the Shakespeare house on your site)? And do you work within certain perimeters (ie certain number of scare actors, certain square footage, only this many rooms).
My process? I just dabble with this stuff - lol

Typically (after I have the concept in my head), I start with a “beat sheet” that just has a scene title/brief explanation. I’ve never exceeded 12 scenes when drafting those. Recently, I’ll draw concept art for scenes before doing the treatment. It’s less arduous to draw them on my iPad (using Procreate, Adobe Draw, or Graphic) then writing, and it helps me visualize what’s going to happen. (Most of the older stuff I did treatments first because they were easier to produce for me).

Typically, I’ll start drafting out a treatment from there. The treatment is writing a story. I consider coherency, pacing, and what makes each scene visually interesting. If the “story” takes me to a different scene from any I initially planned, I change. If a scene I initially planned bores more, I cut it. This is where I figure out character numbers. I may sketch out the house and scenes if I need to figure out layout or structure. It’s a pretty organic process.

The “formal” house layouts are where the real work is done. I’ll do a “hard” layout that formalizes the structure. My old stuff (like Calendar Fear) had no limitations. Now, I try to adhere to a specifications I know. Ghostlight was designed for Parade (B79). My current project (Dark Fortunes) is being designed for a 40x80 foot tent (like what Hollywood uses).

The 3D models are designed in SketchUp, a free, 3D modeling software. It’s the same software Uni uses. It’s got a rough curve, but you can do some amazing stuff with it.

My process? I just dabble with this stuff - lol

Typically (after I have the concept in my head), I start with a “beat sheet” that just has a scene title/brief explanation. I’ve never exceeded 12 scenes when drafting those. Recently, I’ll draw concept art for scenes before doing the treatment. It’s less arduous to draw them on my iPad (using Procreate, Adobe Draw, or Graphic) then writing, and it helps me visualize what’s going to happen. (Most of the older stuff I did treatments first because they were easier to produce for me).

Typically, I’ll start drafting out a treatment from there. The treatment is writing a story. I consider coherency, pacing, and what makes each scene visually interesting. If the “story” takes me to a different scene from any I initially planned, I change. If a scene I initially planned bores more, I cut it. This is where I figure out character numbers. I may sketch out the house and scenes if I need to figure out layout or structure. It’s a pretty organic process.

The “formal” house layouts are where the real work is done. I’ll do a “hard” layout that formalizes the structure. My old stuff (like Calendar Fear) had no limitations. Now, I try to adhere to a specifications I know. Ghostlight was designed for Parade (B79). My current project (Dark Fortunes) is being designed for a 40x80 foot tent (like what Hollywood uses).

The 3D models are designed in SketchUp, a free, 3D modeling software. It’s the same software Uni uses. It’s got a rough curve, but you can do some amazing stuff with it.
Sketch up is definitely great for haunts. Plus, I love how it has a tool for cross sections and elevations. The cons of the software is when you have big projects like museums or buildings, it gets glitchy due to all the componts from the 3D warehouse or construction materials. I’ve seen some great work on Revit and Archicad, I’m sure it will look fantastic when building haunts too.

Now I just want to re-watch every episode of Sealab 2021.

Until today I didn’t even know there was a show called Sealab 2021. Unfortunately, I’ve never* seen any of the shows in @Legacy’s clues. I honestly thought that bird beak clue was a gif from the Magic School Bus.

*That’s not true, I watched an episode of Rick & Morty from the clues last year. And I’m 99% positive I’ve seen an episode of The Simpson’s & Family Guy before.

Until today I didn’t even know there was a show called Sealab 2021. Unfortunately, I’ve never* seen any of the shows in @Legacy’s clues. I honestly thought that bird beak clue was a gif from the Magic School Bus.

*That’s not true, I watched an episode of Rick & Morty from the clues last year. And I’m 99% positive I’ve seen an episode of The Simpson’s & Family Guy before.
I'm considering something from Gravity Falls. Would that help?

Sketch up is definitely great for haunts. Plus, I love how it has a tool for cross sections and elevations. The cons of the software is when you have big projects like museums or buildings, it gets glitchy due to all the componts from the 3D warehouse or construction materials. I’ve seen some great work on Revit and Archicad, I’m sure it will look fantastic when building haunts too.
I'm trying to really up my game for Dark Fortunes. Wall treatments, "moving" scares, that sort of stuff. A friend told me the trick is careful layer management. I do a single room on a layer.

I haven't tried any other programs, more because of access and familiarity. If time ever allows again, I'll try other stuff.

I'm considering something from Gravity Falls. Would that help?

I don’t know that show either lol honestly the only TV I watch (besides my teams) that’s still relevant are Stranger Things, CAOS, Always Sunny & Big Little Lies. The rest I’m familiar with are, like, AYAOTD? and the TGIF sitcoms of the 90’s.

But I’m sure I’ll still try to guess anyway...and I’m sure I’ll be wrong lol

I don’t know that show either lol honestly the only TV I watch (besides my teams) that’s still relevant are Stranger Things, CAOS, Always Sunny & Big Little Lies. The rest I’m familiar with are, like, AYAOTD? and the TGIF sitcoms of the 90’s.

But I’m sure I’ll still try to guess anyway...and I’m sure I’ll be wrong lol

If you have time, go to Kiss Cartoon and watch it. There's plenty of episodes off of which you could base HHN originals.

(Interestingly, Rick and Morty has several references to Gravity Falls that imply they exist in the same reality--well, Rick and Morty has an infinite number of realities but you get what I'm saying.)

Last edited:
I'm trying to really up my game for Dark Fortunes. Wall treatments, "moving" scares, that sort of stuff. A friend told me the trick is careful layer management. I do a single room on a layer.

I haven't tried any other programs, more because of access and familiarity. If time ever allows again, I'll try other stuff.
Correct, layer management is very important with detailed designs. I use a lot of groups and components to organize my project. I’m pretty sure Sketchup has the option for animating scenes, I personally don’t use it so I’m not familiar with it.
If time allows you in the future, definitely try Revit, the renderings in that software are amazing.