Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

Everyone is forgetting (or doesn't know) the Shudder angle...

There's no guarantee the movie is coming.

Yes, Nicotero has gotten King’s permission for the TV series, but that doesn’t fit Murdy’s tweet. King would be well aware of Nicotero’s previous working relationship with Universal.

If Creepshow comes in any form, we have to assume it is with King’s blessing.

Yes, Nicotero has gotten King’s permission for the TV series, but that doesn’t fit Murdy’s tweet. King would be well aware of Nicotero’s previous working relationship with Universal.

In that case, I could see Nicotero lending a hand in negotiations, just because his history with Universal is a little peachier obviously.

Here's how you get King's blessing:

"We want to do Creepshow as a house, but we're not going to use your stories from the movie. We're going to focus on the TV show."

I love Shudder, I legitimately think it's the best dedicated streaming platform currently available and I am very excited for the new series.

That said, I feel like if you're using a name like Creepshow for HHN purposes, people expect it to be the classic film not the newest series. It's kind of a bait and switch and would be somewhat disappointing.

Creepshow isn't on the same level as Scream, but imagine if that house did open and it was based exclusively on the TV series and not the iconic film.

This is just my opinion of course. And I guess any Creepshow is better than none especially if the new series is good and captures the spirit of the first film.

Honestly, it's time to shut down King-related speculation AGAIN. If King owns it, HHN is NOT getting it. That is the end of that song.

Honestly, it's time to shut down King-related speculation AGAIN. If King owns it, HHN is NOT getting it. That is the end of that song.

As much as he seems to be against using his properties for these sorts of events, I am sure if someone went to him with an idea and explained it in such a way that really appealed to him he would give them the OK. Maybe that hasn't happened before, but did with Creepshow

Funny how King is against HHN and well
made haunted houses yet allowed the Dark tower to be made.
As much as he seems to be against using his properties for these sorts of events, I am sure if someone went to him with an idea and explained it in such a way that really appealed to him he would give them the OK. Maybe that hasn't happened before, but did with Creepshow
He has been asked repeatedly over the years, and has refused repeatedly. I don't claim to speak for him - and he has refused to give a reason when asked point blank - but I would have to assume at this point that there us something about the medium of the haunt itself that he does not want his work associated with.

As for the Dark Tower movie, by all accounts he enjoyed it.

He has been asked repeatedly over the years, and has refused repeatedly. I don't claim to speak for him - and he has refused to give a reason when asked point blank - but I would have to assume at this point that there us something about the medium of the haunt itself that he does not want his work associated with.

As for the Dark Tower movie, by all accounts he enjoyed it.

Wasn’t he allegedly real mad at Universal for initially using his name in conjunction with The Shining? Didn’t he threaten to sue?? I feel like I need a refresher on this too.

I’m worried it’s a similar situation as Scream, where the bridge has been totally burned.

Wasn’t he allegedly real mad at Universal for initially using his name in conjunction with The Shining? Didn’t he threaten to sue?? I feel like I need a refresher on this too.

I’m worried it’s a similar situation as Scream, where the bridge has been totally burned.
Essentially, they weren't supposed to use his name in connection with the Shining house as it wasn't his Shining, and they didn't have the rights to do so. Someone used it in an advertising email anyway, and he rightly threatened legal action. I seem to recall it delayed the official announcement too.

I don't think it burned a bridge, more that there was no bridge to burn in the first place.

Essentially, they weren't supposed to use his name in connection with the Shining house as it wasn't his Shining, and they didn't have the rights to do so. Someone used it in an advertising email anyway, and he rightly threatened legal action. I seem to recall it delayed the official announcement too.

I don't think it burned a bridge, more that there was no bridge to burn in the first place.

He also hates Kubrick's Shining. Like despises it. So having his name associated with a house that used imagery based on that would have been insult upon injury

He also hates Kubrick's Shining. Like despises it. So having his name associated with a house that used imagery based on that would have been insult upon injury

I can't say I'd blame him. I've long said that Kubrick's Shining is a great film, but as an adaptation of the novel, it absolutely sucks the root -- but then, Kubrick is the last filmmaker who should tell a story about emotions and interpersonal relationships.