Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (USF)

When you think about it, this is basically the same ride as Simpsons just with a different film and The Simpsons Ride doesn't have 3D and is plenty enjoyable (minus the pain the RV causes). I think DMMM could work without 3D if this is really happening. Let's not forget that both Hannah-Barbara and Jimmy Neutron didn't have 3D.

When you think about it, this is basically the same ride as Simpsons just with a different film and The Simpsons Ride doesn't have 3D and is plenty enjoyable (minus the pain the RV causes). I think DMMM could work without 3D if this is really happening. Let's not forget that both Hannah-Barbara and Jimmy Neutron didn't have 3D.

Between removing 3D in this, Shrek, or Fallon I think this one needs it less. Maybe it's a test.

As for anyone wanting more proof of Universal very cognizant of their screens/3D issue, here it is.

Between removing 3D in this, Shrek, or Fallon I think this one needs it less. Maybe it's a test.

As for anyone wanting more proof of Universal very cognizant of their screens/3D issue, here it is.

The problem is Fallon can't remove 3D without altering the ride film/script... it explicitly calls out its 3D effects. Shrek also includes a call-out, but that attraction literally has "4D" in the title - not sure they can back out of that at this point.

I guess Despicable Me is a little easier to alter, but I'd be curious to know what (if anything) would replace that first preshow.

The problem is Fallon can't remove 3D without altering the ride film/script... it explicitly calls out its 3D effects. Shrek also includes a call-out, but that attraction literally has "4D" in the title - not sure they can back out of that at this point.

I guess Despicable Me is a little easier to alter, but I'd be curious to know what (if anything) would replace that first preshow.
Shrek can also be watched on Netflix, so if they were to remove the 3D, what's the point in it's existence anymore? At that point i'd say just pack it up and get ready for something to replace it.

Haven't heard that anywhere. Interesting, if that's more of the retreat from too much 3D complaints. I would think the show would suffer without 3D though...... Kong would suck without 3D. 3D makes it good.....F&F sucks more than it would have with 3D. 3D would help there.

Hmm, that’s an interesting thought. Maybe it’s not to have one less ride with 3D, but to relocate it to a ride that needs any help it can get - “cough”FF”cough”.

Despicable Me is underused in the park. This should get a land in KidsZone with a dark ride. It should have an original story where the girls are going to try to become spies. they are not taken serious by their dad but they unearth a plot where all the villains unite to take over the world. Thanks to the help of the minions the day is kind off saved.
Maybe it could be interactive and we get a fart gun to take out the bad guys and their army of minions.
The current ride could get a new life in there but won't be the main attraction.

I can only speak for USF.
If this is true, then I continue to be terrified by current management and would argue a big executive shakeup is necessary to save the parks. Removal of 3D from this ride would be an absolutely inane decision that would do nothing but hurt the ride significantly. Did they learn NOTHING from Supercharged? Removing 3D from that made the experience unequivocally worse by reducing immersion and heightening any flaws in the existing ride footage. I'd argue that given the ride system for DM:MM, it is even more important not to remove 3D. Ride vehicles are all grouped in a room together and being seated on a vehicle in the back without the added depth from 3D would be absolutely awful.

Last edited:
Now we're fighting for 3D glasses? :lol:

Maybe we should hold off and see how it holds up without the 3D before bringing out the pitchforks.

Once again... removing 3D from a screen-based attraction actually INCREASES awareness of said screens essentially making the problem worse. Has everyone forgotten what 3D actually does? How would REMOVING depth from a screen make people notice the screen less and not more? What world are we living in where the "solution" to a problem actually makes the problem worse and no one within the organization points this out and stops the madness. I'm baffled.

Now we're fighting for 3D glasses? :lol:

Ummm no. We're fighting for not actively seeking out ways to make an attraction worse by removing an element it was designed for from the start. It's trying to solve a problem by making the problem worse.

Everyone: "There are too many screen-based attractions."
Universal: "How about we keep the screen-based attractions but we remove the element of depth and thus turn our attractions into movie theaters that show 5-minute short films. Does that help?"
Everyone: "No, that makes it worse and you already tried that last year to disastrous results."
Universal: "Got it. We'll remove 3D from more rides."

Last edited:
1. STOP DOUBLE POSTING (This is more a forum issue then just you)

Once again... removing 3D from a screen-based attraction actually INCREASES awareness of said screens essentially making the problem worse.

I'd like to see the scientific study that corroborates this conclusion...

A screen is a screen is a screen - glasses or not.

This "sky is falling" schtick is getting tiresome. You can't complain about too many screens/3d glasses, then decide "Oh, except here...".

They know of the fatigue. They have the research, the GSATs, and the like, and made a conscious decision to help alleviate some of these complaints ya'll keep having; short of a complete gutting. Worst case, they flick the switch and the 3D is back.

Again, we should hold off and see how it holds up without the 3D before bringing out the pitchforks.

And let's not pretend the lack of 3D is the primary issue with Supercharged.

Maybe we should hold off and see how it holds up without the 3D before bringing out the pitchforks.

I'll preface this with: Your forum, your rules. We're all playing in your yard, so take this for what it's worth (which is nothing). I also have nothing but love and respect for you.

But I really dislike posts like this and would hope this isn't the culture you're trying to create on this forum.

You want us to have a discussion in the forum, yes? In order to have a discussion, we need multiple viewpoints, yes? So why crap on people's viewpoints and tell them not to talk?
It's also a ridiculous double-standard with the knee-jerk Universal defensiveness (which is weird... they're a corporation, not someone's girlfriend). When we learned about Smuggler's Run not being as interactive as we originally thought, no one called for us to stop discussion because no one has ridden it yet. "Maybe we should hold off and see how it holds up without the engineer having as important of a role before bringing out the pitchforks.". No- we are on a discussion thread, so let's discuss. It might all be a moot point and DMMM might be perfectly fine without the glasses. A post like @Joe had here is perfect, for example. This crapping on anything negative said about universal is getting as equally tiresome as "The sky is falling" schtick that you dislike also (and I agree with you).

TLDR; No, we shouldn't hold off and see how it holds up as this would be a boring place with no comments if we were to quell discussion and opinions until after we ride things.

3D works on Despicable Me. There's an entire solid bit about Minion Goggles.

Remove it from Fallon, that one makes way less sense.

I disagree with removing it from Fallon. The pizza, t-shirt, etc is all part of the show. They comment on it multiple times during the film as well.

I also disagree with it being removed from DMMM, but if they change the pre-show, it could work.

Really... they just need to get rid of Shrek and replace it with SLoP. That would fix a huge chunk of their problem. F&F certainly didn't help things in the park, but that's spilled milk at this point.

I'm not sure they fully understand that 3D isn't the problem as much as screenZ are the problem.
Although a part of me is curious as to how Transformers would fare with 2D...

Last edited:
1. STOP DOUBLE POSTING (This is more a forum issue then just you)

I'd like to see the scientific study that corroborates this conclusion...

A screen is a screen is a screen - glasses or not.

This "sky is falling" schtick is getting tiresome. You can't complain about too many screens/3d glasses, then decide "Oh, except here...".

They know of the fatigue. They have the research, the GSATs, and the like, and made a conscious decision to help alleviate some of these complaints ya'll keep having; short of a complete gutting. Worst case, they flick the switch and the 3D is back.

Again, we should hold off and see how it holds up without the 3D before bringing out the pitchforks.

I really don't know what else to say because I feel as though this has already been explained a million times by myself and lots of other people on the forums. Removing 3D is the wrong decision and if they are using GSATs as justification to remove it then they are interpreting the results incorrectly. I'm sorry you feel criticism is equivalent to "the sky is falling" but my arguments are perfectly sound and your own explanation for the removal of 3D contradicts itself within the same post. "A screen is a screen - glasses or not." Ummmm, correct. That's exactly what I'm arguing. Removing 3D keeps the screen but makes the experience worse as the ride was designed for and utilizes 3D to create depth.

If a restaurant had a survey and people reported there were far too many burgers on the menu and the owner of the restaurant interpreted that survey to mean they should keep the burgers on the menu but remove the cheese, onions, and ketchup essentially making the burgers less desirable you'd think they were absolutely insane. That's what removing 3D from a screen-based attraction is like. It keeps the main problem and draws more attention to said problem.

Are we just ignoring Supercharged ever happened? Pretty sure we already know what happens when you remove 3D from an attraction that is meant to have it.

Last edited:
But I really dislike posts like this and would hope this isn't the culture you're trying to create on this forum.

You want us to have a discussion in the forum, yes? In order to have a discussion, we need multiple viewpoints, yes? So why crap on people's viewpoints and tell them not to talk?

Where does the buck stop, though? The users on this board have spent years voicing the frustrations on screens/3D; and now when they try to remedy some of the issues, we're gonna complain?

Either way, I'm not trying to stifle discussion, but in this case - especially with the change between just 5 days away - I felt the suggestion of "Wait and See" was a fair suggestion; especially because it's the tired ol SCREENS debate.

This crapping on anything negative said about universal is getting as equally tiresome as "The sky is falling" schtick that you dislike also (and I agree with you).

I've said this before, but discussions these days lack nuance. The hate mob is an addictive drug. Not saying there can never be a legit criticism, or that everyone is guilty of this, but there's precedent on these boards.

"Wait and See" may not be the best course for discussion, but it is usually the right answer - especially when there is complaining just to complain. When people get riled up over trivial things, it's the best way I feel to rectify any thread going haywire. Remember when people complained that the lake in Hagrid's was filthy, even though it was an active construction site? Yeah...

And this notion we defend anything Universal isn't true. I mean, the Supercharged thread alone should be good enough evidence to show that... :lol:

I'm a realist and try to offer my PoV through that lens to try to add some perspective to the discussion. I even may post something that I don't necessarily agree with, but just try to point it out for the sake of discussion.

Bottom Line:

Not all discussions are the same. A discussion on the rumored interactivity of a new attraction is different than the 500th time a 3D/screens debate has been had. We also have to consider the level of a user's history and interpretation, as well as consider those who want to post/are reading. For every few posters who want to spam their hot takes, there are several users who stop coming or stop reading that thread.

Removing 3D is the wrong decision and if they are using GSATs as justification to remove it then they are interpreting the results incorrectly.

C'mon, dude.....

"A screen is a screen - glasses or not." Ummmm, correct. That's exactly what I'm arguing. Removing 3D keeps the screen but makes the experience worse as the ride was designed for and utilizes 3D to create depth.

No. What I'm saying people know they are watching a screen, glasses or not. There's not some psuedo-Clark Kent effect happening here. The removal of glasses is not going to make the guest's awareness increase. Impacting the enjoyment is possible, but increasing awareness? Sorry...

Are we just ignoring Supercharged ever happened? Pretty sure we already know what happens when you remove 3D from an attraction that is meant to have it.

Supercharged's problems were it was a ride that was neither fast, or furious, another screen ride, with a icky plot, a clone of Kong, etc.. The lack of 3D isn't even a tertiary problem.

If a restaurant had a survey and people reported there were far too many burgers on the menu and the owner of the restaurant interpreted that survey to mean they should keep the burgers on the menu but remove the cheese, onions, and ketchup essentially making the burgers less desirable you'd think they were absolutely insane. That's what removing 3D from a screen-based attraction is like. It keeps the main problem and enhances it.

I think a more apt comparison is a restaurant had a survey and people reported there were far too many burgers on the menu and then the people complain about a lack of burger options. Your comparison isn't equal since the survey implies that no one had any issues with cheese, onions, etc. and the restaurant removed it.

The problem is screens AND 3D. Not either or.

Where does the buck stop, though? The users on this board have spent years voicing the frustrations on screens/3D; and now when they try to remedy some of the issues, we're gonna complain?

The problem is screens AND 3D. Not either or.

Agreed with the entirety of your post; but this is where I disagree. I don't believe the problem is screens and 3D. It's simply screens. And the removal of 3D won't help that whatsoever.

This is where I think Universal is miscalculating. They open F&F without 3D thinking "Oh, 3D is the issue". When in reality it had nothing to do with 3D. Hell, 3D would have improved it from a giant turd to a large turd.

It's screen fatigue, not 3D fatigue.