Shazam | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Shazam

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This movie is incredible. 2nd fav in the DCEU. A HUGE breath of fresh air in the genre. This is the movie Spielberg will regret never making

Reactions: Clive
I've been saying since the trailer that this movie was gonna be good. DCEU movies are normally pretty easy to judge based on their trailers. The good (Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam) have actually looked good in trailers. The bad (everything else) i've been able to see through the BS in the trailer. It's also notable that the better received movies tend to have a lighter tone.

To each their own because I love Man of Steel (its my favorite in the franchise and I hope Cavill is not recast) and the directors cut of Batman v Superman. I wouldn't say theyre lighter in tone. Wonder Woman revolved around the terror in war with Wonder Woman being the optimism in it. I love that this franchise's solo films have their own identities. They dont need to copy MCU's current formula to be good.

To each their own because I love Man of Steel (its my favorite in the franchise and I hope Cavill is not recast) and the directors cut of Batman v Superman. I wouldn't say theyre lighter in tone. Wonder Woman revolved around the terror in war with Wonder Woman being the optimism in it. I love that this franchise's solo films have their own identities. They dont need to copy MCU's current formula to be good.
No, they certainly don't need to copy the MCU, but the what they DID need to take from the MCU (which they finally realized) was character building. MCU didn't just jump into Civil War and then give us an Avengers film a few later (*looks at BvS and Justice League*).

The reason the MCU is so popular is because it's sort of grown into the movie equivalent of whatever your favorite TV show is: sure, not all episodes are the best, but at least they're solid and the took their time when making the season. MCU has people hooked to the point where they could probably make a Howard the Duck movie and it would probably do gangbusters. The fact that each movie ties into each other is genius. It's too bad that it took the failing of Justice League for WB to realize that maybe they should take a similar approach.

On Man of Steel... it wasn't terrible by any stretch, I just don't like Superman as a character.

Reactions: HereWeGo
On Man of Steel... it wasn't terrible by any stretch, I just don't like Superman as a character.

Funny you mention that because I hated Superman prior to MoS. That movie gave me a lot of respect for him.

MCU didn't just jump into Civil War and then give us an Avengers film a few later (*looks at BvS and Justice League*).

I kind of agree with this. As much as I love BvS (its flaws actually make me love it weirdly), BvS would've worked insanely better as a DCEU film 7-8 years into the franchise. Batman's distrust for Superman, driven over the line by how long he's been in Gotham makes sense for an older Batman... but it was too soon. Superman's death/ no Green Lantern yet would've been the perfect setup for an Endgame style JL film, keeps the audience guessing for who the savior will truly be at their most desperate hour. Alas, I still like a lot what we're given, and I love that each movie here has its identity, but Snyder and WB messed up with communication, as Snyder intended this franchise with a specific start - end while WB wanted to expand it.

I do think character building is needed as well and I appreciate Snyder trying to make Superman that way (from irresponsible in Man of Steel, realizing the weight of the world in BvS, and suppose to be the symbol of hope in JL), but again, the setup and execution weren't timed correctly.

Reactions: Nick
Funny you mention that because I hated Superman prior to MoS. That movie gave me a lot of respect for him.

I kind of agree with this. As much as I love BvS (its flaws actually make me love it weirdly), BvS would've worked insanely better as a DCEU film 7-8 years into the franchise. Batman's distrust for Superman, driven over the line by how long he's been in Gotham makes sense for an older Batman... but it was too soon. Superman's death/ no Green Lantern yet would've been the perfect setup for an Endgame style JL film, keeps the audience guessing for who the savior will truly be at their most desperate hour. Alas, I still like a lot what we're given, and I love that each movie here has its identity, but Snyder and WB messed up with communication, as Snyder intended this franchise with a specific start - end while WB wanted to expand it.

I do think character building is needed as well and I appreciate Snyder trying to make Superman that way (from irresponsible in Man of Steel, realizing the weight of the world in BvS, and suppose to be the symbol of hope in JL), but again, the setup and execution weren't timed correctly.
Personally, I think they should just pretend everything before Wonder Woman didn't happen and that the Justice League they made was a mistake because they did it too soon. The DCEU will always be plagued by a bad start and the loss of both the actors portraying Batman AND Superman already (and Will Smith wouldn't come back for Suicide Squad 2).

It just goes to show how hard it is to create a Universe like this and keep it together. Feige certainly deserves all the credit thrown his way because with everything he's had to juggle, for the only real blip to be changing out two actors early on (Hulk and War Machine) is pretty damn impressive.

Reactions: Clive and HereWeGo
Cavill is technically still Superman. He just hasn't signed the contract pending his movies dont interfere with The Witcher

Just saw this over the weekend, and I'll be surprised if this doesn't end up being my favorite movie of the year. Perfect humor, action, and a lot of emotions I wasn't really expecting to feel. Also, I wish Darla was my sister. 9/10.
The plot twist with Billy's mother abandoning him was really sad, although a little expected. The store robbery scene was hilarious "Shoot him in the face!" *proceeds to get shot in the face a million times* "That tickles" AND THAT SUPERMAN CAMEO AT THE END THO!
If this doesn't get a sequel imma be pissed.

Just saw this over the weekend, and I'll be surprised if this doesn't end up being my favorite movie of the year. Perfect humor, action, and a lot of emotions I wasn't really expecting to feel. Also, I wish Darla was my sister. 9/10.
The plot twist with Billy's mother abandoning him was really sad, although a little expected. The store robbery scene was hilarious "Shoot him in the face!" *proceeds to get shot in the face a million times* "That tickles" AND THAT SUPERMAN CAMEO AT THE END THO!
If this doesn't get a sequel imma be pissed.

Good news as the sequel is confirmed for 2021

Reactions: Magic-Man
Good news as the sequel is confirmed for 2021
Which is really a miracle considering the movie is barely coming out in the black. I’m glad WB is sticking by the character though, despite not receiving the large box office that I’m sure they would’ve liked.

Reactions: chris.g
So essentially, Black Adam and Shazam 2 are in the same year for release (as I believe sites have reported that they are looking at Black Adam happening with production beginning later this year)?

It made 4 times its budget already so Im sure they're happy. They didn't get a lot of money to make this which is why some of the CGI looks off.
Production budget was $100M and marketing costs are normally half of that total, which would put the total cost around $150M and let's not forget they don't keep all the money they make from theaters. It's unclear exactly what the "normal" international distribution intake is, but i've always heard it's around 25% while Domestic is around 50% (and decreases by the week).

I won't give an estimate on where the movie could be at money-wise because of unknown variables, but I doubt it's that far beyond the black at all based on the numbers i'm seeing.

Reactions: HereWeGo