Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion | Page 591 | Inside Universal Forums

Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, this is general park merch and not meant to be up to par with what is sold inside the Wizarding World. If the ride doesn't have a gift shop (I don't remember Alicia saying there would be one) I'm hoping a merch cart near the exit will have some more compelling items for sale.
I wonder if that storage spot to the left of the entry is being converted into a retail window/kiosk. Otherwise, I guess they could replace the wand cart near the exit with Hagrid merch.

I like promo items to keep the idea simple. Tossed this together as an example:

Yqt4sMV.jpg

I think what they were trying to go for stylistically with that t-shirt design is the classic movie posters by Drew Struzan, like this one he painted for the first Potter film. But, in all due respect to the designers and illustrator....that ain't no Struzan.
0q4QKHq

0q4QKHq

That's what I was thinking but I was afraid to liken it to them lol. It's honestly not all that bad stylistically - like the illustrative aspect is similar with back-lighting and all, but I think maybe compositionally it's lacking the cohesiveness and shape of Struzan's posters, and the colors are a bit too 'textbook'. I like the gradient from cool to warm, but it needs more complexity.

My main judgments are how Hagrid's flying from the castle instead of the abbey, and that the bike is shooting off sparks and not flames. Oh, and the composition of the logo at the bottom is odd. Overall I think this feels more like an approved concept than an actual finished illustration.

Anyways, we should both try and come up with illustrations!

Reactions: badlactose
That's what I was thinking but I was afraid to liken it to them lol. It's honestly not all that bad stylistically - like the illustrative aspect is similar with back-lighting and all, but I think maybe compositionally it's lacking the cohesiveness and shape of Struzan's posters, and the colors are a bit too 'textbook'. I like the gradient from cool to warm, but it needs more complexity.

My main judgments are how Hagrid's flying from the castle instead of the abbey, and that the bike is shooting off sparks and not flames. Oh, and the composition of the logo at the bottom is odd. Overall I think this feels more like an approved concept than an actual finished illustration.

Anyways, we should both try and come up with illustrations!

Yeah, I agree with you on all those points. Its heart is in the right place, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

That said, it's not anywhere near the worst theme park merch I've ever seen. In the right mood, I'd probably still buy it :) (that hat, on the other hand....)

Status
Not open for further replies.