Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

the wifi issue seems to happen to all of these trackless rides. You would think they would have figured out the issues by now. Wifi doesn't seem like a very full proof idea for a theme park ride in the first place. I realize this is high end technology, but it doesn't seem trust worthy to me.

the wifi issue seems to happen to all of these trackless rides. You would think they would have figured out the issues by now. Wifi doesn't seem like a very full proof idea for a theme park ride in the first place. I realize this is high end technology, but it doesn't seem trust worthy to me.
I guess the main issue from my understanding is that the ride systems from Rise and MMRR are completely redesigned trackless than, say Pooh's Hunny Hunt from about 20 years ago. The story i've heard is that Disney was going to use the contractor that did Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters for Rise originally, but turns out they're suing each other, so Disney had to go to someone new entirely.

I would assume these take positioning accuracy to a whole new level. They must move to an exact location to be locked on to an elevator. All previous trackless rides operate in a space that present no issue if a car goes off "track" a little bit. I wouldn't be surprised if the accuracy of those has tolerances of an inch or more. RotR can't have that.

I would assume these take positioning accuracy to a whole new level. They must move to an exact location to be locked on to an elevator. All previous trackless rides operate in a space that present no issue if a car goes off "track" a little bit. I wouldn't be surprised if the accuracy of those has tolerances of an inch or more. RotR can't have that.
Yeah, if something is dropping or detatching off of the ride path then I imagine then it must be accurate to less than a half an inch

Sometimes I don't know why they don't use the wire tech like on ToT, but I'm not an Imagineer

Yeah, if something is dropping or detatching off of the ride path then I imagine then it must be accurate to less than a half an inch

Sometimes I don't know why they don't use the wire tech like on ToT, but I'm not an Imagineer

I've always wondered the same. The ToT system is dated, but using the tangible wire tech keeps the system so much more reliable. I can totally understand the goal for trackless, much less wear and maintenance needed.
But the wire or puck system is just as effective, especially with updated tech from when ToT was built.

I currently design and work with trackless robots for inventory warehouses, its tough not to wonder the possibilities :grin:

This is selfish, but I hope ROTR opens late August for Disneyland. It'd be disappointing if they didn't have it open by the Expo. I won't count on it by any means, but it'd be nice for sure.

I'm guessing the writer is assuming that when Disney uses the word "attractions" they mean rides (which is a logical assumption most of the time), but like with the Potter lands there are far more attractions in the land than just the rides.

I've always wondered the same. The ToT system is dated, but using the tangible wire tech keeps the system so much more reliable. I can totally understand the goal for trackless, much less wear and maintenance needed.
But the wire or puck system is just as effective, especially with updated tech from when ToT was built.

I currently design and work with trackless robots for inventory warehouses, its tough not to wonder the possibilities :grin:

I get using trackless when the ride vehicles are going off in different directions (eg. Pooh's Hunny Hunt) but I don't see the draw if all the vehicles are following the same track. For RotR, I don't know if the vehicles will kind of go to different parts of a show scene or they follow each other. However, I don't work with trackless robots and so don't always understand why parks choose one system over another.

I'm guessing the writer is assuming that when Disney uses the word "attractions" they mean rides (which is a logical assumption most of the time), but like with the Potter lands there are far more attractions in the land than just the rides.

This has always annoyed me about Disney and I know that it is just semantics. To me, an attraction has always meant ride but they use it to imply anything that might enhance your visit. However, a new ride will attract me to visit the parks whereas a new show or parade is more like "filler" to me. I know that probably sounds harsh but I don't consider the majority of non-rides attractions in any way.

I get using trackless when the ride vehicles are going off in different directions (eg. Pooh's Hunny Hunt) but I don't see the draw if all the vehicles are following the same track. For RotR, I don't know if the vehicles will kind of go to different parts of a show scene or they follow each other. However, I don't work with trackless robots and so don't always understand why parks choose one system over another.

This has always annoyed me about Disney and I know that it is just semantics. To me, an attraction has always meant ride but they use it to imply anything that might enhance your visit. However, a new ride will attract me to visit the parks whereas a new show or parade is more like "filler" to me. I know that probably sounds harsh but I don't consider the majority of non-rides attractions in any way.

I assume they will be like Ratatouille. Some rooms will be huge, and you'll go through them together. Then each car will go to it's own screen for an extended, more immersive part, then back to a pack. I must assume the elevator part is done together, or you would need too many of them.

I believe in RoTR the cars split twice - each goes to its own elevator up and down

That's going to be a LOT of elevators. Assuming the elevators are a show scene too, you would need double the elevators as cars, just like Transformers. I think the rumor is 3 cars per pack. Meaning they have 12 elevators? Holy maintenance nightmare, Batman.