Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (USF)

It's only been cloned once in 3D in Hollywood. Japan isn't in 3D.
True although Japan uses the Back to the Future / Simpsons ride system which obviously works well in 2D since the vehicles are hidden from one another and it uses the special dome screens combined with a higher resolution and wider aspect ratio. That being said, I assume this means we'll be receiving a version of Japan's pre-show content which was already produced without any references to the goggles. That's good news at least.

I'm hearing that this decision has nothing to do with "too many 3D attractions" and more to do with "little kids (the target demo) won't wear/don't like the glasses".

This is a good point, but isnt this a 40 inch attraction? Most kids that size are approaching 4 years old, and are probably fine with wearing the glasses. I know my 3.5 year old is fine with them at this point. Could this be a prelude to other ride changes that could potentially make this an all ages attraction?

This is a good point, but isnt this a 40 inch attraction? Most kids that size are approaching 4 years old, and are probably fine with wearing the glasses. I know my 3.5 year old is fine with them at this point. Could this be a prelude to other ride changes that could potentially make this an all ages attraction?

The front row, which doesn’t move, has no height requirement.

Interesting update, thanks.
So we got worked up over the reason for nothing?

Kong and Fallon are 36”. I suppose one could argue that since those aren’t as “kid friendly” that those can’t be compared.
But then how does that explain Shrek? That blows a giant hole in that theory as Shrek has no height requirement, uses the same glasses and is just as child-focused as DM.

The more I think about it the more I think @UNIrd is right. This likely has nothing to do with kids not liking glasses.

The more I think about it the more I think @UNIrd is right. This likely has nothing to do with kids not liking glasses.

Agreed. The height requirement already being 40 inches, the 7 full years of operation, the fact that Shrek 4D sits right across the street and caters to younger children while using the same glasses, the decision to clone the ride with 3D to both Hollywood and Singapore, all sort of blow a massive hole in this new theory.

Agreed. The height requirement already being 40 inches, the 7 full years of operation, the fact that Shrek 4D sits right across the street and caters to younger children while using the same glasses, the decision to clone the ride with 3D to both Hollywood and Singapore, all sort of blow a massive hole in this new theory.
Shrek 4D does NOT use the same glasses as DMMM. Shrek has cheap plastic ones (similar to what are at one of Disney’s 4D shows). The glasses at DMMM are much more durable, but also WAY more expensive.

I wouldn’t be surprised if part of this decision came from the amount of 3D glasses that were being returned broken due to them being played with.

I think it may be a little bit of everything. Part 3D/screen fatigue, part kids. I'm trying to dig a bit myself so as soon as I get something, I'll try to share.

Is Singapore confirmed in 3D? All I saw was that the ride was coming...

I think it may be a little bit of everything. Part 3D/screen fatigue, part kids. I'm trying to dig a bit myself so as soon as I get something, I'll try to share.

I'm guessing if unofficial word from Universal is that it's a 'kid's thing', that may just be a smokescreen for cost cutting. Looking at flat first quarter revenue (though somewhat due to Easter falling in second quarter this year) even though prices increased across the board, indicates attendance was probably down a small bit throughout the chain. All of these 'rumored' attraction delays may be playing into that same discussion. Just guessing though. (three of the past five theme park quarterly reports have shown flat revenue)

Last edited:
The problem is Fallon can't remove 3D without altering the ride film/script... it explicitly calls out its 3D effects. Shrek also includes a call-out, but that attraction literally has "4D" in the title - not sure they can back out of that at this point.

I guess Despicable Me is a little easier to alter, but I'd be curious to know what (if anything) would replace that first preshow.

Is Shrek 4D without glasses still 3D
ie 2D plus bumpy seat / obligatory water
:bolt:

Just a friendly reminder that THIS hilarious safety spiel is one of the highlights of the pre-show. It is completely interwoven into Gru and the girls welcoming us to their home. The goggles are mentioned again separately from this video as well. I have no idea how they would play any portion of that first pre-show without completely removing it entirely or doing an awful and abrupt editing hack-job.

Continuing in the recent tradition of doing unnecessary downgrades to rides in the hopes of "fixing" the incorrect problem they'll have to scrap the entire thing. Custom animation like this costs a pretty penny and takes a long time to create so I assume we'll have the pleasure of watching various unrelated clips from the movies play instead. Surely this will improve those GSATs! After all, if you remove 3D projection and 3D glasses from rides built from the ground-up to utilize the technology then the rides will magically improve and guests will love it!

I hear people are tired of simulators as well so the logical next step to take here would be for top brass to order that all current simulators operating in the park like Simpsons and Fallon deactivate their motion-bases. If they don't move then they technically aren't simulators! And if they aren't simulators then the number of simulators in the park goes down! If the number of simulators in the park goes down, then guest satisfaction goes up! What I would give to be a fly on the wall when decisions like these are made.

I don’t recognise that safety spiel. Is it USH rather than USF? Think removal is expected in USF, though hopefully they don’t :)

As far as I've been trying to research, they only mentioned of Minion Park happening, and the location it's replacing. Nothing was said of it being 3D or not, but I'm going to take the guess that it probably wont, as Osaka ditched the 3D.

I am going to guess, that if 3D is being ditched for Orlando and Hollywood, they already have the best way of handling it in redubbing the Japanese moment of safety for the attraction.

Either that, or they're planned on using a part of the budget used when animating new scenes for the Sing preshow for a revised version of the Warning video for DMMM.

Last edited:
Haven’t been around much, but this type of thing strikes close to home for me.

A screen is a screen is a screen - glasses or not.

Not true. In 2D, you are watching images on a screen. No doubt about in your mind whatsoever. In properly produced 3D, almost no imagery appears to be on the screen plane. The only time you’d be aware of the screen is if it has some physical imperfection or projection issue that ruins the illusion. So yes your logical brain knows there’s a screen, but you shouldn’t really “see” the screen.

A good example is Forbidden Journey in 3D (RIP). The domes don’t look like domes at all. It’s a very different feel. As good as they look now (just saw them a few weeks ago for the first time, and I am impressed with the new projectors), it’s clearly a dome and a fisheye lens.

The problem is screens AND 3D. Not either or.

Also not true. The problem is they built too many screen-reliant attractions. The solution is to stop doing so, not gut existing ones. Replace them maybe, but not just make them less.

And if it’s some sort of cost-saving thing.... then ugh.