T2:3D - Battle Across Time Memorial Thread | Page 152 | Inside Universal Forums

T2:3D - Battle Across Time Memorial Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Not everything has to be a ride. Some of the highest GSAT scores in theme parks come from shows. The night parade, from what we’ve seen, is fantastic
Yup, parades and nighttime shows put smiles on people’s faces. Smiles lead to high GSATs.

I do feel like Universal misses opportunities during CineCele to sell glowy toys though. They have a captive audience waiting and they don’t do a lot to try to sell anything to them, which I find an interesting business choice.

Reactions: Andysol
As someone who has been there just before the opening of Fallon there is a shocking long list of new things to enjoy (I even give F&F a try when I'm there next year). I also see this more as a resort than a single theme park in in my case I like both park equally much (unlike Disney where I only care for half a park spread over 4 parks but that is just me).
In the end there needs to be places to change every other year. In the old days, when Disney wasn't D.I.N.O. they had 4 rides over 4 years in 4 parks, that was great. I'm okay if Universal, after FW, will do that too, 1 new ride in the resort every year spread over 3 parks.

You guys have to look at this from a $ perspective. Uni is currently spending $1-2 billion dollars on a brand new theme park/resort. They are also working on two "world class" coasters that probably costs them $200-300 million total. Add in all the other enhancements they would need to make in order to prepare for FW, and its a lot of money that's being thrown around right now. The big issue is to determine the most cost effective plan, and deciding which project will receive the go-ahead. I'm sure that after FW debuts (and hopefully does well), they will start adding projects to USF.

I am sure that by 2030 USF will be "fixed", until then it's just the event park (which I am fine with).

Reactions: tielo
That soon? ;)

What's irritating is that USF would have been (significantly) "fixed" by next year or 2021 at the latest had the original Nintendo plans gone through.

Then people would have complained about Shrek and FFL. Then another group would complain video games don't fit in USF. And another group would then complain why is Universal building a third park without a major anchor and they should have moved Nintendo to the third park.

I've been around long enough to see the decades of doom day-ers and I'm just... tired. I'm so tired.

I can only speak for myself.

Had Universal added three substantial, non-screens/simulator rides to USF by 2021, I would have been quite content with the state of the park as a well-rounded and varied experience.

Would I still want Shrek and FF gone? Of course. But I'd be much more willing to tolerate their continued existence.

I've been around long enough to see the decades of doom day-ers and I'm just... tired. I'm so tired.

Fedex-ing a can of Red Bull to you stat ;)

I'm still so amazed by the amount of cash Universal has been spending on their parks over the past decade, it's incredible how much change there has been.

I really hope this wows as much as T2:3D did the first time I saw it.

I really struggle with the TPU article. I am not saying its not right it just seems like a really poor plan to attract the crowds that will descend on Orlando over the next few years. If you want to convince people to add you into their vacation mixed with Disney (SW, MMRR, GOG, 50th) Bourne and a Jurassic Coaster is probably not going to get it done in 2020-21. I really thought they would play their ace in the hole with Pokémon in 2021.
Hagrid is going to be great but it won’t be enough to keep revenue growing until 2023 against Disney and a more aggressive Sea World.

I think people are being a bit overdramatic. Lets look at the facts facing all the Universal parks and why funding and priority is being made for those areas.

USJ has to open Nintendo before the Olympics to get that sweet Olympics bump and already has larger capacity issues than other Universal parks with the attendance being the most visited Universal park. . Beijing which will also open before a huge attendance jump thanks to the Beijing Olympics in 2022. Hollywood needs to get ramped up drastic to the large influx of Chinese middle class tourists due to the rising incomes levels as well as increase capacity for the upcoming Olympics. Is there anything big on the horizon coming just to Orlando that makes it a priority? No. Instead you wait 4 more years for an entirely brand new park.

This opening this year or next year really won't effect Orlando in the long term as Orlando isn't the only cash cow.

You guys have to look at this from a $ perspective. Uni is currently spending $1-2 billion dollars on a brand new theme park/resort. They are also working on two "world class" coasters that probably costs them $200-300 million total. Add in all the other enhancements they would need to make in order to prepare for FW, and its a lot of money that's being thrown around right now. The big issue is to determine the most cost effective plan, and deciding which project will receive the go-ahead. I'm sure that after FW debuts (and hopefully does well), they will start adding projects to USF.

I am sure that by 2030 USF will be "fixed", until then it's just the event park (which I am fine with).

And even then it has Mummy, MIB, Horror Makeup Show and a contender for best themed land in the country. I obviously don't mean to sunshine pump, just trying to see the forest for the trees.

I think people are being a bit overdramatic. Lets look at the facts facing all the Universal parks and why funding and priority is being made for those areas.

USJ has to open Nintendo before the Olympics to get that sweet Olympics bump and already has larger capacity issues than other Universal parks with the attendance being the most visited Universal park. . Beijing which will also open before a huge attendance jump thanks to the Beijing Olympics in 2022. Hollywood needs to get ramped up drastic to the large influx of Chinese middle class tourists due to the rising incomes levels as well as increase capacity for the upcoming Olympics. Is there anything big on the horizon coming just to Orlando that makes it a priority? No. Instead you wait 4 more years for an entirely brand new park.

This opening this year or next year really won't effect Orlando in the long term as Orlando isn't the only cash cow.

You maybe be right.
Universal maybe taking the Disney approach. We built up Orlando and now we are going to focus our core resources in California, Hong Kong, China etc because we see a great opportunity for ROI at these other locations. Then we will make a big splash in Orlando for our 50th (or in Universal’s case 2023).

When Disney took this approach it allowed Universal to gain market share and grow significantly. I hope Universal is comfortable with that happening in reverse over the next 3-4 years. Of course this is all speculation that TPU is correct with their info.

Reactions: Andysol
So when is this replacement opening? Just to steer back on track. Don't want to stir up the video game naysayers.:cheers:

I’ll just say Universal Orlando better destroy the mold with Fantastic Worlds otherwise it may have a devastating effect.

Call me a naysayer, like all you defenders are really much better, but I will always fight for the fact that to neglect your current parks for a new one is not the solution. Yes budgets and all but the Orlando brass just seem scared.

Think of it like this: would you rather own a ‘57 Stingray that needs work, which you can afford to fix, but save the money for a new Camry? If your answer is yes then I’m already confused by your values, anyways it should be no and really who will you impress. Fix that classic beauty and show it off. And If your forgoing the repairs it should be for something even better(‘69 Barracuda 440 six pack comes to mind) not mediocre new and shiny crap(Camry).

So if Fantastic Worlds is well “fantastic” in every since of the word then the bickering will be a moot point but if it’s not then answers will be needed.

Just my 2 cents and kudos too anyone who gets the reference of the ‘69 cuda. Hint it’s a staple of a cult horror franchise that has existed since the 80’s, the car is black in the series. Just love that car.

I’ll just say Universal Orlando better destroy the mold with Fantastic Worlds otherwise it may have a devastating effect.

Call me a naysayer, like all you defenders are really much better, but I will always fight for the fact that to neglect your current parks for a new one is not the solution. Yes budgets and all but the Orlando brass just seem scared.

I have faith Fantastic Worlds will be great and so far I'm not seeing anything that would suggest otherwise. I think we'll get a little preview of what to expend when Beijing opens but I do worry they're putting all their eggs in one basket. If a large number of the attractions planned for the existing two parks that we've heard about over the last several years end up just being "re-allocated" to the new park like Nintendo, the end result to the consumer will just be another ticket to buy. Since their goal with the third park is to make people plan full Universal trips instead of a Disney trip with one or two days at Universal, they have to be very careful not to neglect the existing parks. If all the cool new stuff is contained within Fantastic Worlds, we'll just have a repeat of IOA in 1999 when attendance cannibalized the Studios park and they didn't see the overall growth they wanted.

Now the opposite tactic of "putting all your eggs in one basket" was employed by Disney in 89' and 98' when they created half-day parks with 1 or 2 headliner rides only. I'm not advocating for that route either but there is a case to be made for keeping your existing parks the main draw when adding another gate. Time will tell and I think attendance and guest satisfaction at USF in particular should be watched closely over the next year or two as they ramp up construction on FW. I'm still holding out hope that at least something along the lines of SLOP replacing Shrek gets the greenlight for 2022. The cost to clone that ride is minuscule in the grand scheme of things. It will provide great bang for the buck while also giving USF the slow, family friendly dark ride it needs.

I have faith Fantastic Worlds will be great and so far I'm not seeing anything that would suggest otherwise. I think we'll get a little preview of what to expend when Beijing opens but I do worry they're putting all their eggs in one basket. If a large number of the attractions planned for the existing two parks that we've heard about over the last several years end up just being "re-allocated" to the new park like Nintendo, the end result to the consumer will just be another ticket to buy. Since their goal with the third park is to make people plan full Universal trips instead of a Disney trip with one or two days at Universal, they have to be very careful not to neglect the existing parks. If all the cool new stuff is contained within Fantastic Worlds, we'll just have a repeat of IOA in 1999 when attendance cannibalized the Studios park and they didn't see the overall growth they wanted.

The difference now is that UOR is a multi-day destination and is seen as much instead of just a Disney diversion.

Reactions: JoeCamel
Problem is nothing they can do to compete with Galaxy Edge opening! Better to save money and resources to win 2023 with FW and other new attractions at UO and IOA