Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 572 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the sky is falling. Hager's coaster will help right the numbers for the near term. But I bet Comcast Executives are concerned about the flat growth of the past year. And, I'm sure they're watching growth numbers like a hawk.
Maybe they should be more careful with their additions then. I cancelled my pass because of Fallon and F&F.

Last edited:
Everything he said is accurate and is not an overreaction. I get the same feedback from the same exact people on these forums every time I discuss current management. Rationally discussing why UOR's current plans post-Hagrid are awful isn't an overreaction at all given what we know currently. Can all this change? Sure. But as of now, management needs to be fired. The amount of indecision and cancelling of plans has grown comical at this point. After Supercharged everyone said, "management got the memo!" but it appears they have actually gotten worse somehow. Their solution to Supercharged is just.... not building attractions in USF anymore, giving IOA two E-ticket attractions back-to-back, and delaying everything else. What an awesome idea! Give management a raise!

Don't worry though! We have TODAY CAFE!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!! SYNERGY!!!!!! We're turning into the WDWMagic forums circa 2004.
I understand a lot of your points,and agree with quite a few, but one thing we don't know, at this point in time, is where the decisions were made. For one, info available pins the F&F decision pressure from some Execs. in the film group pushing one of their pet IP's and trying to capitalize on synergy. So I'm not going to blame Orlando for that. And the Kidzone Nintendo last minute change surprised, and even ambushed, UC's head. Pokemon too appeared to be a last minute change. So we don't really know if the executives culpable for these decisions were Orlando, Hollywood or Philadelphia based. I think Hagrid, and Dark arts show, came at a really opportune time and will probably get the momentum going again. Potter additions strength usually lingers for a good while, so I think Hagrid carries them for 18-24 months. And Hollywood definitely has some strong attractions coming up soon. But, if flat growth continues Comcast will probably re-evaluate. But those aren't necessarily Orlando people they're looking at. One other thing to think about . When Universal was expanding aggressively, Disney actually fed off those new tourists and pulled in some of that attendance.Universal will probably be able to do the same when all the new Disney stuff comes online.

Growth seems to be steady. Good new attractions, or bad new attractions (or no new attractions in a specific park in a given year) over the last many years and attendance at both USF and IOA has continued to increase. Looking at the yearly TEA report shows steady growth year over year for both parks with really only Diagon Alley giving a significant/massive boost:

2012:
USF - 6.195m visitors - Minion Mayhem was new that year
IAO - 7.89m visitors - Nothing new

2013:
USF - 7.062m visitors - Transformers ride was new that year
IOA - 8.141m visitors - Nothing new

2014:
USF - 8.263m visitors - Diagon Alley Opens
IOA - 8.141m visitors - Nothing new (unless you count Hogwarts express)

2015:
USF - 9.585m visitors - Nothing new
IOA - 8.792m visitors - Nothing new

2016:
USF - 9.998m visitors - Nothing new
IOA - 9.362 - Kong was new that year

2017:
USF - 10.198m visitors - Fallon new
IOA - 9.549m visitors - Nothing new (and Dragon Challenge closed in Sept).

2018 numbers aren't out yet, but USF got F&F (which everyone agrees sucks), and IOA had gone a full year without Dragon Challenge, but I can wager that both parks will have increased another 2-6% in attendance regardless. The only things that look to move the needle beyond the 2-6% range seems to be truly massive expansions like Diagon (and Hogsmeade before it).

So pulling back on some of the yearly bits that were previously planned and putting the emphasis on FW (while still opening Hagrids and JP Coaster between now and then) is probably an ok move for them financially, and probably means FW opens sooner (2023?) rather than later (2024-2025)

The one thing that doesn't make sense to me about having only Bourne for 2020 is that they are also scheduled have 2000 new hotel rooms open at Dockside in 2020. I worry that not having JP or something else major opening then could make filling those rooms (and maintaining pricing power) a challenge for the first year.

Or is there a chance that the second half/tower of Dockside has been pushed back as well?

There will still be demand for those rooms. Even if what Uni offers in 2020 is nothing that interests most, Orlando will be busy with all of WDW's addition. I don't know for certain what Cabana/Aventura's nightly occupancy rate is, but I'm sure its its above 90% on most nights.

There will still be demand for those rooms. Even if what Uni offers in 2020 is nothing that interests most, Orlando will be busy with all of WDW's addition. I don't know for certain what Cabana/Aventura's nightly occupancy rate is, but I'm sure its its above 90% on most nights.

People also aren’t just going to stop going to Universal. Those rooms are priced competitively and people will be tempted by early park admission and free transportation to the parks. They won’t have a problem filling them

Reactions: natespf and Andysol
Other thing to remember is Universal is still relatively under-hoteled compared to attendance; it's only providing hotel rooms to a still small minority of guests at the moment (somewhere around 20-25% I believe at most).

So this will likely end up continuing the trend of shifting guests from off-site hotels to Universal hotels.

People also aren’t just going to stop going to Universal. Those rooms are priced competitively and people will be tempted by early park admission and free transportation to the parks. They won’t have a problem filling them

Exactly. And if attendance flattens it will be of benefit to us all. Potential deals to be had on some deluxes and moderates during seasonally slower times.

Exactly. And if attendance flattens it will be of benefit to us all. Potential deals to be had on some deluxes and moderates during seasonally slower times.

Plus, with the rack rates at Disney, the UNI hotels are still a good deal. Plenty of people to go around and I think that people will look for quality hotels on their vacations. My only regret is that I won't be down to UNI/IOA until early next year and will have to wait a while after that to experience this coaster.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Growth seems to be steady. Good new attractions, or bad new attractions (or no new attractions in a specific park in a given year) over the last many years and attendance at both USF and IOA has continued to increase. Looking at the yearly TEA report shows steady growth year over year for both parks with really only Diagon Alley giving a significant/massive boost:

2012:
USF - 6.195m visitors - Minion Mayhem was new that year
IAO - 7.89m visitors - Nothing new

2013:
USF - 7.062m visitors - Transformers ride was new that year
IOA - 8.141m visitors - Nothing new

2014:
USF - 8.263m visitors - Diagon Alley Opens
IOA - 8.141m visitors - Nothing new (unless you count Hogwarts express)

2015:
USF - 9.585m visitors - Nothing new
IOA - 8.792m visitors - Nothing new

2016:
USF - 9.998m visitors - Nothing new
IOA - 9.362 - Kong was new that year

2017:
USF - 10.198m visitors - Fallon new
IOA - 9.549m visitors - Nothing new (and Dragon Challenge closed in Sept).

2018 numbers aren't out yet, but USF got F&F (which everyone agrees sucks), and IOA had gone a full year without Dragon Challenge, but I can wager that both parks will have increased another 2-6% in attendance regardless. The only things that look to move the needle beyond the 2-6% range seems to be truly massive expansions like Diagon (and Hogsmeade before it).

So pulling back on some of the yearly bits that were previously planned and putting the emphasis on FW (while still opening Hagrids and JP Coaster between now and then) is probably an ok move for them financially, and probably means FW opens sooner (2023?) rather than later (2024-2025)

Really enjoyed this breakdown! Very informative.

On another note, I'm not sure why people are saying Universal will be in trouble by holding off on new attractions. I'm not sure what is the percentages of Floridians to non-Floridians that make up the guests to Universal, but someone visiting from a distant location is most likely going to take advantage of visiting Star Wars World with Harry Potter World.

Every time I talk to someone in New York or in Texas about Orlando theme parks, majority of the time people don't even realize its two different companies. The other day I heard someone say they wanted to visit Disney so that they could see the Harry Potter World.

The argument may be sound if UNiversal makes most of their money from Floridians, but as far as outsiders go they are attracted by the IP themed land. The Star Wars World is going to increase guests in Universal, because if they are spending money to see Star Wars, they are going to want to see the other big IP world in the city.

I actually think that holding the coaster off til 2021 is a great idea. If they are going to revamp River Adventure into Jurassic World (seems inevitable now unless the ride in hollywood tanks), then it would be great marketing to reveal a whole new themed land. A lot of people outside Florida don't even know that there is a Jurassic Park land. They have heard of Harry Potter and now Star Wars. Universal could open the new River Adventure, the coaster and whole surrounding area devoted to Raptors with a kick ass permanent raptor encounter. They could even revamp the Discovery Center, and the camp for not too much cost.

Imagine a whole other world being advertised with Harry Potter. Jurassic World may not be as big as Star Wars or Harry Potter, but it will turn more heads in my opinion than Avatar.

If in that time they can improve their parades, projection shows, and live entertainment options, then Universal would have solidified their parks for those not living in Florida or not theme park fans.

Last edited:
Anyone know what's going on at the designated smoking area between the Watering Hole and Discovery Center? There's light blue work walls up, but it's still accessible from the back. I saw some colorful markers wrapped around some of the plants along the side too. I was thinking maybe they need to dig around that area and are going to remove some of the plants? Could be for pipes or something I guess. Any thoughts?

DSC01374.jpg

IMG_7011.jpg

IMG_7020.jpg

IMG_7008.jpg

Universal will not be in trouble if they delay or cancel attractions. The dedicated Universal theme park fans who visit every weekend (like me) the ones trouble. We'll live though. :p

Here's my take on it, but just a guess.

Nice! I'm still confused about the "why" behind IOA getting another big outdoor attraction right after Hagrid instead of USF getting some dark ride love but the good news is, we have another outdoor construction project to follow! Just as Hagrid is winding down we get to look forward to another year or two of VERY visible construction. In fact, the construction on this one will be even more visible. SWEEEEET!!

My guess is with F&F, Cinematic Celebration, Fallon, Diagon, etc, they felt like the USF slate was pretty full. Bourne is still on tap, and add to that the idea that they could add a parade fairly easily if necessary, and IOA was looking more in need of an upgrade.

Reactions: tankart150
My guess is with F&F, Cinematic Celebration, Fallon, Diagon, etc, they felt like the USF slate was pretty full. Bourne is still on tap, and add to that the idea that they could add a parade fairly easily if necessary, and IOA was looking more in need of an upgrade.
Wouldn't be surprised if the loss of two big coasters was part of the reason as well.

Not sure if it's an older permit or if the bot just didn't pick it up, but there's also a queue permit
View attachment 9428

It picked it up, but when it was filed it had a different description. The description tends to be updated on some permits as the review process progresses. You'll also notice that some permits are filed with absolutely no information, just an address. My best guess is this is Universal's attempt at keeping things secret for as long as possible.

Anyway, here's the tweet with the earlier permit, back then it just said "Core and Shell"

Status
Not open for further replies.