Avengers: Endgame (2019) | Page 18 | Inside Universal Forums

Avengers: Endgame (2019)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I thought it was great and certainly worth the watch. I don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t be satisfied with that ending.

mok5g40zptu21.jpg

I thought it was great and certainly worth the watch. I don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t be satisfied with that ending.

Not a full review, but in a nutshell:

It's basically just a rehash of what we've seen half a dozen times before--Black Panther and Infinity War climax all over again almost verbatim--only overstuffed with characters to the point it borders on parody. Then Cap's ending is (i) an irreconcilably large plothole and/or (ii) a complete betrayal of the character. Also they drag out Tony's death for pathos, even tho by then they've established in- and out-of-universe that death is meaningless in the MCU.

Also, more minor points, but when you fridge a second major female character in as many movies--even tho yeah, death meaningless, we know she'll be back--you don't "earn" that douchechill-inducing grrlpower scene. And all of Peter Parker's friends were snapped? Shouldn't at least half of them be graduating college by now? And why does a god whose axe can summon the Bifrost need a spaceship? Too much fanservice like this.

Apologies if you were being rhetorical.

Reactions: Andysol
My family and I just got back from seeing this first thing in the morning, and we were all in agreement on our thoughts. Time and time again, we've seen varying results for finales. Be it tv series, movie series etc. Some have been good, some so-so and others whiffed in more ways than one.

So for a film to have a build up of 11 years and 21 movies beforehand, for us it's a insane achievement that they stuck the landing on this one! It was a sheer rollercoaster of emotions, there was a metric ton of callbacks and nods to all the various films, and like with Infinity War, the film nailed multiple emotional beats/moments which you only really have one shot at. (Something which certain previous DC films have failed completely at.)

An that final act is gonna' go down as one of the greats. So many bad-@$$ moments happened in that act, including one which made me instigate a full-theater applause. I've never done that before, but when that moment happened, I didn't even think about it, my hands instantly slammed together like one of those deranged toy monkeys with the cymbals.

There's a few other things I wanna' mention, such as going in detail on the moments I mentioned, so MONDO SPOILER ALERT.

First up, a note on those emotional moments. Which also has a HUGE ENDING SPOILER, so seriously, don't click on it if you haven't seen it.
So Infinity War gave us some whoppers of emotional moments you can only really do once due to the element of surprise. Thanos sacrificing Gamora, Scarlet Witch mercy killing Vision (complete with Thanos reversing that and coldly killing Vision) and finally, the Snap. When I saw those moments, I could help but think that DC really botched the emotional moments in BVS: DoJ.

...and then came Endgame which has a more direct comparison to the Death of Superman. An Endgame lands it perfectly, especially with the funeral with everyone there. With the Death of Superman in the comics, there's a lot of emotional weight to it with one, a Superman we actually care about and two, all the heroes at his funeral. BVS screwed that up royally in so many ways, and Endgame legit showed how it should've been handled.

Finally, two other moments. One is the moment that made me start a applause in the theater. The other is a line I do wanna' mention, but even hinting at it can be a spoiler. I put both of these under FAN SERVICE SPOILERS.

Ever since Age of Ultron, I wanted to see him wield it...the moment I heard that sound effect I nearly screamed.

As for the line, I love that they took a line used in one of the most universally despised moments in recent comic history and made it work perfectly in context. Hail Hydra indeed.

END SPOILERS

All in all, it's been one heck of a journey, and I'm happy I got to experience this from the very beginning. It's had it's ups and downs, but this was a triumphant finish to the Infinity War Saga.

Oh yeah, @Brian G. Reading your twitter, what was "THAT scene" that some dude went to the bathroom right beforehand? There was a good chunk of scenes which would qualify for it.

that douchechill-inducing grrlpower scene.

lol. The only thing that would’ve made that scene better is instead of saying “you’re not alone” that she said “you’re not alone. I’m here with you.” And then each girl that popped up said “Me Too!” :lmao:

That scene was hilarious anyway, because she doesn’t need help to go through a few bad guys. Were they not watching when she went through an entire Giant F’in spaceship?

Reactions: fryoj

Then Cap's ending is (i) an irreconcilably large plothole and/or (ii) a complete betrayal of the character. Also they drag out Tony's death for pathos, even tho by then they've established in- and out-of-universe that death is meaningless in the MCU.

Oh, I disagree completely - but I'd like to hear more about why you felt this way.

Oh yeah, @Brian G. Reading your twitter, what was "THAT scene" that some dude went to the bathroom right beforehand? There was a good chunk of scenes which would qualify for it.

Cap/Mjolnir.

Also - the superwomen moment was totally forced and a bit of an eye-roll moment. Compared to IW, when it felt natural.....

but I get it. It's the last hurrah for some so, give them all that kinda moment since they likely won't all be together to get it again.

Reactions: HorrorNightsFan13
Cap/Mjolnir.

Yeeup, considering my reaction to it, I'd be irked if I missed it.
Myself I'm glad I read up on when's the best times to run to the bathroom, ended up having to use it at the last possible chance. (Start of New Jersey)

It really is a funny coincidence that this dropped 2 days before the battle of winterfell.

I had some problems but I thought it was great overall, and it has what will probably be the best final hour of the year.

Reactions: Coasted
Reading a lot threads, a lot of discussion about paradoxes keep appearing. Specifically Loki and the Tessaract. There actually isn't a paradox here. Thanos got the Tessaract FROM LOKI at the beginning of Infinity War.

What we're we seeing is how he got the stone between Avengers and IW.

When Steve returns the stone at the end of Endgame, he's not returning it to 2014, he's returning it to 1970.

Really, the only paradox that exists (at first blush) is past-Thanos getting killed before collecting any of the stones. That splinter timeline is now the "best timeline" even after losing its Gamora.

Reading a lot threads, a lot of discussion about paradoxes keep appearing. Specifically Loki and the Tessaract. There actually isn't a paradox here. Thanos got the Tessaract FROM LOKI at the beginning of Infinity War.

What we're we seeing is how he got the stone between Avengers and IW.

When Steve returns the stone at the end of Endgame, he's not returning it to 2014, he's returning it to 1970.

Really, the only paradox that exists (at first blush) is past-Thanos getting killed before collecting any of the stones. That splinter timeline is now the "best timeline" even after losing its Gamora.

loki got the tesseract before Thanos arrived in IW in Ragnarok as it was held on Asgard, right before they defeated Hela. Now, they've killed young thanos and new york loki got the tesseract after they defeated him and he either escaped or hid the tesseract... So there is a splinter in regards to the tesseract because now it was never recovered.

Reactions: JMalez

It's basically just a rehash of what we've seen half a dozen times before--Black Panther and Infinity War climax all over again almost verbatim--only overstuffed with characters to the point it borders on parody. Then Cap's ending is (i) an irreconcilably large plothole and/or (ii) a complete betrayal of the character. Also they drag out Tony's death for pathos, even tho by then they've established in- and out-of-universe that death is meaningless in the MCU.

Also, more minor points, but when you fridge a second major female character in as many movies--even tho yeah, death meaningless, we know she'll be back--you don't "earn" that douchechill-inducing grrlpower scene. And all of Peter Parker's friends were snapped? Shouldn't at least half of them be graduating college by now? And why does a god whose axe can summon the Bifrost need a spaceship? Too much fanservice like this.

Apologies if you were being rhetorical.

Death is meaningless in the MCU? Seriously? I doubt that they'll bring Tony back.

Reactions: HereWeGo
To be honest, I don't think they're going to resurrect or bring back Tony on the physical form anytime soon..

..that said, him cameoing via a video message for Parker in Far From Home, would make a lot of sense given the final eulogy by himself.

Reactions: Magic-Man
To be honest, I don't think they're going to resurrect or bring back Tony on the physical form anytime soon..

..that said, him cameoing via a video message for Parker in Far From Home, would make a lot of sense given the final eulogy by himself.

I think they're going to do a dream sequence sort of thing with Mysterio (or maybe just Peter), with Tony blaming Peter for his death. Peter already has PTSD from the incident and doesn't want to be Spider-Man anymore, so a scene like this would hammer it home. Then Peter is going to realize (probably with the help of Ned, MJ, May, and/or Happy) that it wasn't his fault.

On that Captain America ending, my personal feeling is that Steve did finally do a selfish thing, he created an alternate timeline with Peggy. However, much like when he returned the stones to their previous timeline and the splinter was corrected, when he caught up with the primary timeline in the exact spot at the exact time, it corrected itself, and the Peggy/Him timeline stopped.

Hulk and Nebula really laid it all out, changing the past does not change the present, it causes a splinter timeline. Hulk then reaffirms though for that splinter to be closed, the "out of time" piece must be returned. Steve just took the really long way around. Who really knows what happened in the Peggy/Him timeline, I don't think it really mattered "in a sense" because he always knew it was going to close.

So there maybe there never were 2 Caps running around in that timeline, because either Steve stopped the experiment (unlikely) or Howard Stark never went looking for him because why would he, Cap survived the battle, look there he is with his best gal on his arm. If Cap never goes down in the plane, then Hydra never infiltrates shield and so on and so forth.

These box office numbers are insane. We might finally have a challenge to AVATAR's worldwide total depending on how the next couple of weeks hold, internationally.

He could be the new AI voice for Peter's suit.

Reactions: Journey_On
On that Captain America ending, my personal feeling is that Steve did finally do a selfish thing, he created an alternate timeline with Peggy. However, much like when he returned the stones to their previous timeline and the splinter was corrected, when he caught up with the primary timeline in the exact spot at the exact time, it corrected itself, and the Peggy/Him timeline stopped.

We don't know if he created an alternate timeline (the explanation given suggests he did not). All we know is Peggy was married to someone, who Steve supposedly rescued. Now, if he went back and went undercover (and Peggy created the cover story for him) and as long as he nothing to change events then he simply closed an already existing time loop.