Avengers: Endgame (2019) | Page 19 | Inside Universal Forums

Avengers: Endgame (2019)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I sincerely hope he doesn't have that opportunity, as it would be..somewhat disappointing to me, IMO.

Let a man rest.

Either way, I don’t think this will be the last we see of him. Whether it’s picture showing up or an Iron Man statue.

I wonder what the public’s opinion on the Avengers will be after the dust settles. It was never really touched on in the movie.

Will people be grateful that the snapped have returned? Will they pissed for thinking that they caused it in the first place?

If they’re angry, it would be a lead in for the resentment towards X-Men if they decided to go down that route.

Either way, I don’t think this will be the last we see of him. Whether it’s picture showing up or an Iron Man statue.

I wonder what the public’s opinion on the Avengers will be after the dust settles. It was never really touched on in the movie.

Will people be grateful that the snapped have returned? Will they pissed for thinking that they caused it in the first place?

If they’re angry, it would be a lead in for the resentment towards X-Men if they decided to go down that route.
Kevin Feig has already said there's no plans for the X-Men in Phase 4.

Regarding Cap...

I assumed Steve rejoined Peggy in 1970. At the latest, 1950s (what era model was the car that drives by?). It would have been AFTER First Avenger and Agent Carter.

Also, because we never see Peggy interact with Steve when both he and Tony go to 1970, it’s possible that he had ALREADY reunited with her.

Basically, Steve could have reunited with Peggy at any point after the Agent Carter show narrative ended, and he would not have altered the past because it was his (linear) future the entire time. There’s no splinter because of Cap. By the time “hero” Steve came out of the ice in 2013(?), “old” Steve would have aged to the point of irrelevance. It wouldn’t have harmed the past because it already was the past.

None of the time stuff bothers me. When you start with time travel and multiple universes, you have to accept infinite timelines. Who knows if the Steve sitting on the bench is the same one that just time jumped? It doesn't really matter. It just has to be a Steve from one of the infinite timelines that defeated Thanos. Theres also infinite timelines where Loki escaped and created a new universe. We don't see those timelines. The fact that Thanos jumped forward in time and died should have eliminated the snap and everything that happened from GOTG 1 on, therefore breaking the whole continuity. But like they suggest, you can't change things. It just means that somehow another timeline's Thanos did the snap.

One of the things that is never really explained, unless I missed it, was why did Thanos know Tony in the IW fight?

The girl power moment was an eye roller. Not because I have a problem with strong women, but because it seemed forced. Even my wife felt that way. Also she clearly didn't need their help.

Making Sam the new Cap sucked imo. Should have been Bucky. Unless Sam is going to get an injection of the super serum it's not going to be convincing.

Loved Tony's funeral. Very powerful. Both the old power source on the float to seeing everyone pay their respects. I wish they'd have had Coulson there, but I get why that wasn't going to happen.

As for the movie as a whole, it definitely drug at the start. First hour I kept checking my watch. Then it kicked into gear and I realized the movie was about over. So the second and third acts worked. Lots of good scenes. Plenty of humor. A few shocks. But, overall, it was just predictable. When they sent Nat and Hawkeye to get the soul stone, it was obvious one would die, and he has a family so.... We knew Thanos would lose. We knew everyone would come back. We knew that Tony and Steve were probably going to get wrote out. There was the question of how they'd get there, but how they did it wasn't a real surprise. We knew Tony was the key to taking out Thanos, so no shock there. Great closure for him though after his visions, he was the one to save the world. Great closure for Steve getting the girl. The big battle was good cinema, but felt too much like "hey look who else we have in the fight". Putting every character ever in it served no real purpose. I'm not saying I didn't like the movie. It was good. But just too predictable to be a "top 5"

I want a scene in GOTG 3 with Thor at a Bowling Alley.

Reactions: Freak and sjago13
Please tell me I'm not the only one that thought Natasha's corpse looked weird. Like how her body looks against the VFX background and how the lighting is, not because it's Black Widow's dead body. I guess I'm just gonna have to watch it again to make sure my eyes weren't tripping.

It's not that big of a deal or a massive complaint cause I cried anyways, but the way she looked had a strange effect on me.

A Doctor Strange effect on me.

Someone take away my account.

Last edited:
Alright saw it. I'm still trying to fully process everything to get my initial thoughts together, but it was great.

I was very critical about Captain Marvel and her character, but I was glad how they handled it. She felt slightly more likable. They let the OG Avengers have their due.

Also, I liked ho they handled the time travel aspect. I was afraid it would cancel out Infinity War and most of the other movies, but I was glad to see that was not the case.

Also please tell me I wasn't the only person singing "Rock Star" by Smash Mouth towards the beginning at Thanos' "swamp"? ;)

More thoughts later, but funny story: Saw this at the Hollywood Cineramadome. Before the movie, I bought some pretzel M&Ms (Well, sneaked them into the theater), and ended up spilling almost all of them. You could hear them roll all the way down the sloped floor. The guy sitting five rows in front of me yelled, "That was cool! Do it again!" I wasn't even mad I thought that was so funny. :lol:

Finally saw the movie last night and even on a Monday at 10:30, it was next to impossible to find two seats together in the entire Orlando area that were outside of the front row.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie from start to finish and thought it was truly the perfect culmination of this era of the MCU. Could about 15 minutes or so have been shaved off of the run time? Probably, but I enjoyed the slower pace towards that the movie started off with and how the movie was a bit of everything: Nostalgia, plenty of one-liners, sadness, joy, action, etc, etc. I'm also super happy that they didn't overuse Captain Marvel because it's obvious that her powers are so strong that it would've been a pretty boring fight had she been around all movie. I liked getting to see mostly the original 6 for a good majority of the movie and Hawkeye actually having some cool moments.

As far as Natasha goes, I wonder if she is really dead. With her getting a movie, I could see it going either way. If she's dead-dead, I see her movie taking place before Iron Man 2 with Hawkeye co-starring. If still alive somehow, it'll be interesting where things go.

Also, the Kate Bishop equivalent that is supposed to get the Hawkeye torch passed on in the Disney+ series... does that seem like it will be his daughter to anyone else?

In a lot of ways this feels like the "end" of more than just the Infinity Saga. It's going to be really hard to match the 10+ year buildup that led to Thanos who is perhaps the most interesting supervillain in Marvel because of his motivations and how he was presented as a foil to Iron Man. Their stories intertwined from the first Avengers all the way to this one. I'm sure they'll add the X-Men in Phase 5 or 6, and that will add a lot of hype, but the stories of the Avengers were fresh on the big screen in a way that the X-Men/FF won't be.

I don't doubt Feige's ability to pick up the pieces and shape them into another grand storyline with another major supervillain (Galactus/Kang/Dr. Doom/etc.), but I doubt the hype ever reaches the level that it did with Infinity War and Endgame because they were the "first" time that this has happened, how the infinity stones narrative brought each character or group of characters into the main arc, and how the characters all experienced the trauma of loss that made Infinity War/Endgame such a unique experience (yeah even though we knew nearly everyone would be back).

Maybe it's just me, but as I look to the future of Marvel's slate, the only movie that screams "must see" to me beyond this summer's Spiderman FFH is the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3. That's really the only movie where I feel like "yeah I want to see how that ties up a lot of loose ends"... Dr. Strange 2 I'll probably see just because he's been as compelling as any of the original Avengers since his introduction. I say this as somebody who's seen virtually all of the Infinity Saga movies in theaters. I'll probably be choosy going forwards.

Natasha seems completely gone in the current timeline because 1) they brought back 2014 Gamora to take Gamora's place, and 2) the stones are gone in the current timeline and in the comics they could use the soul stone to bring Gamora back, which they clearly can't in Endgame. Maybe they'd have to go to Death and trade but that just doesn't seem likely because it would undo the whole purpose of Black Widow's sacrifice. I think she stays dead and her movie will be a prequel.

Next Iron Man will probably be his daughter or another girl; either way I don't think they'll introduce a successor in the next saga. Just feels like the next saga shouldn't touch it.

I hope phase 5 introduces Ironheart, either bringing Riri into Phase 4 (Spider-Man classmate?) or by making Monica Rambaeu from Captain Marvel a Riri proxy.

Interview from EW that answers a big question about the ending.

Here's the quote about Steve going back to be with Peggy:

Does he go back to live in the past — or does he go and live in another dimension?

The directors say it’s the latter.

“If Cap were to go back into the past and live there, he would create a branched reality,” Joe explained. “The question then becomes, how is he back in this reality to give the shield away?”

The brothers smile.

“Interesting question, right?” Joe said. “Maybe there’s a story there. There’s a lot of layers built into this movie and we spent three years thinking through it, so it’s fun to talk about it and hopefully fill in holes for people so they understand what we’re thinking.”

Reactions: CyborgDinosaur
Natasha seems completely gone in the current timeline because 1) they brought back 2014 Gamora to take Gamora's place, and 2) the stones are gone in the current timeline and in the comics they could use the soul stone to bring Gamora back, which they clearly can't in Endgame. Maybe they'd have to go to Death and trade but that just doesn't seem likely because it would undo the whole purpose of Black Widow's sacrifice. I think she stays dead and her movie will be a prequel.

Next Iron Man will probably be his daughter or another girl; either way I don't think they'll introduce a successor in the next saga. Just feels like the next saga shouldn't touch it.

In the comics Adam Warlock holds the soul stone and can use it and has on occasion been able to free people from it. And coming into the next Spider-Man movie is... Adam Warlock. (Maybe that's why its the end of phase 3)
[/QUOTE]

In the comics Adam Warlock holds the soul stone and can use it and has on occasion been able to free people from it. And coming into the next Spider-Man movie is... Adam Warlock. (Maybe that's why its the end of phase 3)
Interesting theory, although with it being a Spider-Man movie, i’d be surprised if they delved too far into that stuff.

[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but it seems highly unlikely that they actually bring back the stones themselves. Maybe Adam is born with the remaining essence of the soul stone or something, but I think it'd cheapen the sacrifice if Black Widow is brought back. They already brought Gamora back in another way with her previous 2014 version being in the current timeline, so I don't think resurrection should be used, especially when ScarJo may be saying goodbye to the MCU in Black Widow. At that point, just make it a prequel and don't mess with her character arc in Endgame.

As far as Eternals and higher beings go, it seems like they'll save most of that for the Eternals movie, which along with GotG Vol 3 and Dr. Strange 2 sound like the launchpad for the higher cosmic beings to really be integrated into the MCU.

I don't think Spider FFH will go too deep into that because Feige has said it's like an epilogue to Phase 3.

Quick BoxOffice note, but this seems like it'll finish somewhere around $2.6 billion to $3.2 billion, so it'll have a good chance at toppling Avatar worldwide haul. This may also have an outside shot at hitting $900 million to $1.05 billion in the US which could top SW TFA and has an outside shot at becoming the first movie to hit $1 billion in a single country.

Anecdotally, I know far more people who want to see this 2-3 times in theaters compared to IW which my friends and I saw once.

Reactions: kristenabelle
Yeah, but it seems highly unlikely that they actually bring back the stones themselves. Maybe Adam is born with the remaining essence of the soul stone or something, but I think it'd cheapen the sacrifice if Black Widow is brought back. They already brought Gamora back in another way with her previous 2014 version being in the current timeline, so I don't think resurrection should be used, especially when ScarJo may be saying goodbye to the MCU in Black Widow. At that point, just make it a prequel and don't mess with her character arc in Endgame.

As far as Eternals and higher beings go, it seems like they'll save most of that for the Eternals movie, which along with GotG Vol 3 and Dr. Strange 2 sound like the launchpad for the higher cosmic beings to really be integrated into the MCU.

I don't think Spider FFH will go too deep into that because Feige has said it's like an epilogue to Phase 3.
Quick BoxOffice note, but this seems like it'll finish somewhere around $2.6 billion to $3.2 billion, so it'll have a good chance at toppling Avatar worldwide haul. This may also have an outside shot at hitting $900 million to $1.05 billion in the US which could top SW TFA and has an outside shot at becoming the first movie to hit $1 billion in a single country.

Anecdotally, I know far more people who want to see this 2-3 times in theaters compared to IW which my friends and I saw once.
Endgame is going to put up ridiculous numbers for a second weekend (probably at least $150M domestic), not only due to repeat viewings, but because theaters were sold out all of opening weekend in many places.

Endgame is going to put up ridiculous numbers for a second weekend (probably at least $150M domestic), not only due to repeat viewings, but because theaters were sold out all of opening weekend in many places.
I’m guilty and will be seeing it again this weekend but, In IMAX this time:clap: Who knows I might even go next weekend and see it in IMAX 3D (The repeat viewings for this was a deciding factor in me deciding to pull the trigger on AMC A-list this summer.)

I’m guilty and will be seeing it again this weekend but, In IMAX this time:clap: Who knows I might even go next weekend and see it in IMAX 3D (The repeat viewings for this was a deciding factor in me deciding to pull the trigger on AMC A-list this summer.)
I'll be seeing it in IMAX this coming weekend, too.

Could Natasha come back?

No funeral for her seemed a little odd but it could have taken away from Tony’s.

When Captain America returns the soul stone, does Natasha return?

I can’t remember exactly but wasn’t everybody who got snapped trapped in the soul stone? I know Thanos sees Gamora but I can’t remember if Hawkeye seen Natasha.
[/QUOTE]

Could Natasha come back?

No funeral for her seemed a little odd but it could have taken away from Tony’s.

When Captain America returns the soul stone, does Natasha return?

I can’t remember exactly but wasn’t everybody who got snapped trapped in the soul stone? I know Thanos sees Gamora but I can’t remember if Hawkeye seen Natasha.
[/QUOTE]

Nope. and Nope.

Nope. and Nope.[/QUOTE]
I agree Natasha can’t come back... would take away from the weight of the moment and alter other things. However, have we touched on Loki? When they went back to 2012, Loki escaped using the tesseract as they were altering things. So is he not dead anymore?

Nope. and Nope.
I agree Natasha can’t come back... would take away from the weight of the moment and alter other things. However, have we touched on Loki? When they went back to 2012, Loki escaped using the tesseract as they were altering things. So is he not dead anymore?

I think that that scene was mainly to setup his Disney + show that is on its way... but I wouldn’t be surprised if they consider him alive still in the current timeline and have him show up every so often, depending on what they would want to do with Thor 4.

Reactions: youhow2
Nope. and Nope.
My understanding of the situation is:

2012 Loki branches a new timeline out when he takes the Tesseract. The Disney+ show will follow that Loki on his exploits.

The thing which makes it all confusing is that Steve stayed in the past and was able to get to the present timeline as an aged old man. So yes, it is theoretically possible for 2012 Loki to bypass the Thanos killing of 2018 Loki and get to the present MCU timeline by jumping.

My guess is Disney will decide what to do with Loki based on GotG 3/Thor 4/Chris Hemsworth and decide whether they want Loki to re-enter the current timeline based on their contracts. If they decide not to, they can just re-connect Loki 2012 to Thor Ragnarok's timeline by having Loki end up returning to the normal 2018 timeline at the end of his show before he gets killed by Thanos. That would clean up the loose ends.