Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HBO's Game of Thrones

1 it airs in the UK at 2am so no way can i be caught up
2 everyone else has been posting in spoiler tags as was agreed on much like the Avengers thread.

I’m gonna be honest. It was not anywhere close to as good as it should have been.

By knowing next to nothing about the villain, his death means a lot less. Plus, they should have killed way more characters then they did. This should have been a death sentence for most of them.

I really hope they make up for this in the next episodes. The king has been made out to be the main villain since the first episode, yet he’s dead with 3 more to go.

Agreed. 3 fringe characters, Jorah and the biggest was Theon. An episode that epic should have given us something substantial. In particular the fact it was the battle and the end of an enemy we’ve been waiting on since season one.

“Winter is coming... but all you’ll lose is Theon and the Dothraki. Not even a dragon.”
“We’ll take that.”

I thought the episode itself was really good and highly entertaining. Had to switch my brain off, but as a popcorn munching mindless action flick, it hit the mark.
But someone should’ve bit it there. Arya, Sansa, Tyrion... one of those 3 needed to die- in particular Arya. That would’ve been a tremendous sendoff to her character. Wearing Bran or Theons face (say she dies but real Theon was still there to kill the king). Or something where she gets stabbed in the gut/heart/whatever but still takes out the King.

But nah. We lose Theon... so brave. I swear these dumb show writers are going to keep everyone alive for one big “Star Wars” finale where they’re all in a ceremony.

But that’s just me being frustrated with the show in its entirety post season 4 before the writing went to piss. The episode itself was hella fun.

Agreed. 3 fringe characters, Jorah and the biggest was Theon. An episode that epic should have given us something substantial. In particular the fact it was the battle and the end of an enemy we’ve been waiting on since season one.

“Winter is coming... but all you’ll lose is Theon and the Dothraki. Not even a dragon.”
“We’ll take that.”

I thought the episode itself was really good and highly entertaining. Had to switch my brain off, but as a popcorn munching mindless action flick, it hit the mark.
But someone should’ve bit it there. Arya, Sansa, Tyrion... one of those 3 needed to die- in particular Arya. That would’ve been a tremendous sendoff to her character. Wearing Bran or Theons face (say she dies but real Theon was still there to kill the king). Or something where she gets stabbed in the gut/heart/whatever but still takes out the King.

But nah. We lose Theon... so brave. I swear these dumb show writers are going to keep everyone alive for one big “Star Wars” finale where they’re all in a ceremony.

But that’s just me being frustrated with the show in its entirety post season 4 before the writing went to piss. The episode itself was hella fun.
yeah, I think I agree with you on every point. It wasn’t a bad episode so to say, more underwhelming. Reminds me of the sequels to Transformers in a bad way. Nobody truly important dies, or at least stays dead. (I am by no means saying it’s as bad as Transformers however)

yeah, I think I agree with you on every point. It wasn’t a bad episode so to say, more underwhelming. Reminds me of the sequels to Transformers in a bad way. Nobody truly important dies, or at least stays dead. (I am by no means saying it’s as bad as Transformers however)
eh, it’s as good analogy as any. GoT is basically transformers the past couple of years anyway. I’m kinda glad there’s only 3 left at this point.

Did we ever do predictions for who ends up on the throne?
Here is mine:
0% chance it’s Jon.
And let’s say 80% Dani, 20% Sansa.

My heart dropped at how fast the dothraki were taken out, i wasn't ready:'(. I think many people did not expect arya to be the one which is ok by me i thought she was dead for a minute there lol. Agreed someone major should have bit the dust, it felt lame that the dead overpowered them that severely but no major characters died. I think this was a 10/10 episode in spite of my few gripes, its classic to save the best for last so i have no problem with a little story issue,as long as its paid off the last episode or before.

IMO - The battle was just too damn dark, and the cuts made it confusing. My wife and I debated who was fighting, or if a character was dead or alive. Even with some odd story choices/payoffs, it was a fine episode.. just underwhelming.
Even with the Nk death it was like YES! But thats it? I think the best is still to come they just definitely could've did more with the Nk death, Should have been much more dramatic.

I really was expecting more people to die. Honestly - it would have sat better if Bran had died.. IDK what they do with his character now? Not that I didn't like the episode - it was just kinda hard to see and a weird payoff of Arya being the Princess that was Promised. But as a total Arya fan - I'll take it. At least Sansa can stop complaining about feeding everyone now that they killed off like 2/3 of the extras LOL.

I thought about this more this morning. For those that wanted more death and have also seen Avengers: Endgame

Last night's episode was the equivalent of Endgame ending with only Scarlet Witch Dying and Vulture going back in time to marry his old girlfriend. If you think that would've had the same emotional appeal as Iron Man and Capt A going away, then you're ok with last night's GoT episode.

But if you are like me; then you too, would have wished a major character died to make it a more emotional and impactful episode. In particular with the multiple season buildup and catchphrase "winter is coming". Arya would have been the best and most impactful death. Died while killing would've been a parallel to Iron Man snapping.

I thought about this more this morning. For those that wanted more death and have also seen Avengers: Endgame

Last night's episode was the equivalent of Endgame ending with only Scarlet Witch Dying and Vulture going back in time to marry his old girlfriend. If you think that would've had the same emotional appeal as Iron Man and Capt A going away, then you're ok with last night's GoT episode.

But if you are like me; then you too, would have wished a major character died to make it a more emotional and impactful episode. In particular with the multiple season buildup and catchphrase "winter is coming". Arya would have been the best and most impactful death. Died while killing would've been a parallel to Iron Man snapping.

While I don't agree with the choice of who goes - I ultimately agree.

They raised the stakes for this episode, only to have fringe characters, outside of Theon (kinda), die off. You tease the Night King for 7 seasons, proclaiming across Westeros how "Winter is Coming", only for it to ultimately have no payoff outside of Arya's arc.

And if you're gonna hype up the battle, and say it's gonna "beat Helm's Deep", it better beat "Helm's Deep". Not knocking the production/technical aspect, but from a story standpoint, it doesn't hold a candle.

On a selfish note, my pick for the Throne was Arya. Last night helped my case. :lol:

While I don't agree with the choice of who goes - I ultimately agree.

They raised the stakes for this episode, only to have fringe characters, outside of Theon (kinda), die off. You tease the Night King for 7 seasons, proclaiming across Westeros how "Winter is Coming", only for it to ultimately have no payoff outside of Arya's arc.

And if you're gonna hype up the battle, and say it's gonna "beat Helm's Deep", it better beat "Helm's Deep". Not knocking the production/technical aspect, but from a story standpoint, it doesn't hold a candle.

On a selfish note, my pick for the Throne was Arya. Last night helped my case. :lol:

Exactly. OK- No more Endgame talk in my spoiler now. :)

And they could've raised the stakes for future episodes. Maybe have Jamie say something along the lines of "We need more men to man the walls!" while they are fighting the walkers. Then have Brienne (who is easily one of my favorite characters) die by being overwhelmed. That gives Jamie that opportunity to resent Cersie further. "If our troops were here, she could still be alive!"

The additions of Arya dying while completing her arc and Brienne dying to push Jamie further down his would be both satisfying story-wise as well as emotionally wrecking for most people.

I'm looking forward to the new Queen putting medals on everyone's neck at the end. Maybe C3PO will get one.

I mean, this is a different take, but I love that they went another direction with this ep.

We all expected so many people to die, and when they didn't it leaves them on the board for them to revert back to politics, backstabbing, and destroying each other.

Episode 1 told us that NK had no higher purpose or motivation but death (which IMO said, "we're not giving him any additional backstory here"), and Episode 2 had all our favorites in a warm, fuzzy friend circle (which is probably about to 180 real quick).

I like that I have no idea what's going to happen. I like that Bronn possibly killing two of my favorite characters is still on the table. I like that Dany and Jon are now going to have even more tension, especially since his biggest mission and purpose to date (destroying NK) is over. Some of the biggest moments on this show have come from humans doing horrible things to other humans, sans NK/white walkers. But I've always been more of a fan of the intrigue and politics - it's why I like this show more than LOTR. There aren't two sides - there's a million, and they can all switch allegiances so quickly.

I stopped tying book prophecies and mysticism into the show long ago, which helped me enjoy the series for what it was. Not saying that anyone should see it that way, it just helped me separate what I thought was "supposed" to happen and let me enjoy what did.

The lack of original source material is really starting to become noticeable.

In fairness, Martin himself told the showrunners the major plot points and the fates of all the characters several years ago, so while they haven't been able to adapt the text, they're still - presumably - hitting the major beats that Martin will hit if/when he finishes the novels.

In fairness, Martin himself told the showrunners the major plot points and the fates of all the characters several years ago, so while they haven't been able to adapt the text, they're still - presumably - hitting the major beats that Martin will hit if/when he finishes the novels.

I hope he hits his beats better, if he ever does

To all the people who had trouble with the lighting (a common thing I've read), were you watching on a TV in a lit room? I watched it on my computer in the dark so I didn't have much trouble seeing what was going on.