Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion

Halloween 2018 won't happen because of who has the rights for it. And besides, Halloween has shown up 3 times in 4 years, why would you want it again.

Also you mention you don't want more zombie stuff, but there's nothing to do with zombies in the rumored lineup unless there's something in creepshow, which I haven't seen, and even if there is, it would just be one section of the house. Unless when you mention zombies you mean house of a 1000 corpses, in that case, that's not what that movie was about.
I meant Rob Zombie, not zombies as a theme. I don’t love his stuff except for Lords of Salem.

UPDATE:
- Stranger Things 2 and 3 (Confirmed)
- UCM: Frankenstien meets The Wolfman (Confirmed)
- Holidayz In Hell (Confirmed)
- Ghostbusters
- Mexican Original
- House Of 1000 Corpses
- Creepshow
Is house of 1000 corpses rumored for Hollywood? Seems weird to do another maze based on the movie after already having it two times before. I could think of a few other mazes I’d want to see again before this one..

Miramax, Blumhouse, Trancas International Films, and Rough House Pictures all produced it, while Universal distributed it.

The problem, lies particularly with the other production groups outside of Blum; primarily Miramax.

__

Loving the lineup so-far, especially with Holidayz and Universal Monsters.
I am by no means an expert but I don’t think that’s how rights work. I don’t think those companies have licensing rights to the film specifically or Michael Meyers/Halloween broadly. Universal wouldn’t have to negotiate a deal to make a maze based on a film it distributed itself. There could be character licensing stuff, etc., but Halloween 2018 is a Universal movie, and I imagine they can do with it whatever they choose. That’s not the case with using a movie released by a different studio, obviously. Am I wrong here?

EDIT: I guess I should say Universal wouldn’t have an issue negotiating a deal to make a maze based on a film it distributed itself. They would maybe owe royalties or something to a production company or whatever else, but it’s a Universal film — it’s not like its a WB or Sony property.

Last edited:
I guess I should say Universal wouldn’t have an issue negotiating a deal to make a maze based on a film it distributed itself. They would maybe owe royalties or something to a production company or whatever else, but it’s a Universal film — it’s not like its a WB or Sony property.

If only it were that easy. But past years where we've lost IP's or were unable to attain certain ones prove otherwise.

UPDATE:
- Stranger Things 2 and 3 (Confirmed)
- UCM: Frankenstien meets The Wolfman (Confirmed)
- Holidayz In Hell (Confirmed)
- Ghostbusters
- Mexican Original
- House Of 1000 Corpses
- Creepshow
Why was Klowns removed from the list?

I am by no means an expert but I don’t think that’s how rights work. I don’t think those companies have licensing rights to the film specifically or Michael Meyers/Halloween broadly. Universal wouldn’t have to negotiate a deal to make a maze based on a film it distributed itself. There could be character licensing stuff, etc., but Halloween 2018 is a Universal movie, and I imagine they can do with it whatever they choose. That’s not the case with using a movie released by a different studio, obviously. Am I wrong here?

EDIT: I guess I should say Universal wouldn’t have an issue negotiating a deal to make a maze based on a film it distributed itself. They would maybe owe royalties or something to a production company or whatever else, but it’s a Universal film — it’s not like its a WB or Sony property.
If Universal distributes the film, that doesn't necessarily give them unilateral use for a property. There are different kinds of deals that can be reached when it comes to purchasing distributing rights.

It's not as simple as Universal having control due to them distributing the film.

Not to mention, they were agreed into it, because they already had a deal with Blumhouse in the means of distribution for various Blumhouse film's.

Well,

Stage 29 - Stranger Things
Metro - Universal Monsters: Frankenstein Meet's The Wolf Man
Parisian - Holidayz in Hell
Waterworld - ???
Mummy - ???
747 Parking Lot - ???
FDTD Tent - ???
The Walking Dead Attraction

And if I'm not mistaken, didn't someone hint (I believe @Legacy, but I could be wrong) on a potential maze count increase of some kind.

Definitely learning a lot here, thanks for sharing everyone. Been lurking for a little bit, finally decided to join. Still feel like Us and Halloween ‘18 are simple wins that would make amazing houses but if the rights are difficult, then that’s another thing entirely. Wonder why Hill House doesn’t get more buzz, too. Great partnership with Netflix, a great IP. Maybe the creative scope is too much?