Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mickey's Philharmagic (DCA)

So we finally have an opening date.

CM previews are on the evening of the 25th according to WDWMagic. That means it will open on the 26th. Gonna try to check it out next week.

It's actually one of my fav attractions at the MK. The best part is when they expand the screen, like in T2, but unfortunately the DCA theater is too small. That said, it's still a very enjoyable experience. People should like it.

It's actually one of my fav attractions at the MK. The best part is when they expand the screen, like in T2, but unfortunately the DCA theater is too small. That said, it's still a very enjoyable experience. People should like it.
They also have the screens on the walls to work with. That can make up for the loss of the wrap-around.

Sorry about the triple-post, but reviews are in from CM preview. Apparently they widened the screen a tad (but still considered a "watered-down" version) and they do use the side projections, but only as sweetners. Not an extension of the screen. The Donald Butt AA has been confirmed.

Sounds like it's exactly what I expected this to be. Still slightly watered down, but some effort put into making up for the lack of the wrap-around. Should be open in the morning.

A frame for within the theater.

Kind-of like this,

image908.jpg

They’re going to pull that off later? Nice! I wonder how they’re going to work on that.

I'm going to guess they're going to aim for finishing it by D23 in August, as it would make sense to show it off as one of the many things that Disney has done to continue investing for the original park.

What I'm excited, is the new entrance, and hopefully; it means they're also going to do some changes to the exterior queue.

I'm confused, where in there does it confirm the fake proscenium is coming? It just reiterates that we're getting a new entry marquee, which is sorely needed.

We could also use an actual Donald animatronic, but...

So that article didn't confirm the proscenium at all, it confirmed a new marquee which is different.
Prosceniums are the arches over the stage/screen of a theater, which is what WDW has.

A Marquee is what resides over the entry of the theater itself. Often times it's advertising what's playing, and that's what's being added.

As for PM itself, while they're clearly doing more then what DLP did for theirs with the projections on the side and a Donald statue (It's no AA.), I'm in the boat that would've preferred they'd actually put the time and money into reconverting the whole theater to have a proper Philarmagic 2.0 like what was originally planned way back. Trying to sweeten things with the projections on the side doesn't really work when you have it chopped up by thick vertical beams, plus the larger balconies flanking the sides of the main screen.

I would’ve preferred they use this as a chance to create a brand new film altogether that could then be rolled out to other parks. As much as I like PhilharMagic, it could use a bit of a refresh, mixing more current animation hits like Frozen, Tangled, Moana, with those in the show currently.

It’s been planned for awhile, they’re just too cheap to do it.

So hearing conflicting reports... is the Donald butt an AA that wasn't initially working, or a static figure?