Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

MSHI Expansion?

Google =/= actual interest. Box office numbers do.

My point about all this isn't necessarily about what is more popular right now, it's about the fact that Star Wars has been a significant part of pop culture for more than 40 years and every generation is aware of it's existence.

For superheros, the most well known are probably; Superman, Batman and Spider-Man.

There's an "issue" with this comparison. Apart from not actually meaning anything.

A not insignificant number of people don't refer to Avenger movies as "Avengers," apart from the first one. They're colloquially referred to by their sub-title. So a search for "avengers" ignores people who JUST search "Ultron," "Infinity War," or "Endgame." It ALSO ignores individual character searches that comprise the Avengers themselves.

A far fewer number do that for Star Wars. Rogue One and Solo are googled on a equal playing field to New Hope, Last Jedi and the prequels. Star Wars is Star Wars is Star Trek is Star Wars.

Oh, AND you have people who input star wars but mean star "treck."

I think Disney has had issues introducing Marvel throughout their parks (not including WDW because of their situation) because they just don't know what to do. They are not sure if to go the "timeless" route like MSHI with no name actors or spend that extra $ to get the actual actors.

Schedule has also kinda taken a toll on Marvel. When DCA started its evolution plan, the MCU really didn't kick-off until 2012 with the introduction of the first Avengers film. By then DCA had just spent a billion dollars on adding Cars Land and other things. After that, Disney bought Star Wars and at that time it was their "big" IP that Iger immediately wanted to introduce into the parks in a huge fashion. After SWL we are finally getting something Avengers related, which I think will do well.

It's also probably worth looking at the development timeline as well. Disney bought Star Wars in 2012 under the pretense that Star Wars is one of the most lucrative brands in the world. Star Wars was an evergreen property and proved it's power for 30+ years, while there was properly concern for Marvel's timelessness, whether superheroes were a fad, etc. Also, while the Avengers hit big, Disney still didn't have access to some of the biggest properties like Spider-Man or the X-Men, both in film and in theme parks. So, there was probably the decision to go with the safer choice first in Galaxy's Edge, a proven brand they had full control over, and wait and see if Marvel had the staying power to justify navigating the rights.

In 2015, it seemed like they were right; Force Awakens was the highest grossing domestic movie of all time (unadjusted) and top five worldwide. That same year, Ultron was successful but failed to outgross the first Avengers movie. At the time, it looked like Marvel found its ceiling, while for Star Wars the sky was the limit. Fast forward to today, the situation is obviously completely reversed. Endgame is on track to be the biggest movie ever, while Star Wars, still popular, shows its not infallible with Solo flopping and an inability to penetrate certain international markets like Asia.

I don't really blame Disney for prioritizing Star Wars in the parks, as they were just working with the safer option at the time. Like, who really thought Star Wars of all things would be supplanted in popularity in less than three years?

Bringing it back to MSHI, Universal has like zero incentive to add anything to the land. The merch in the gift shops will sell anyway thanks to the popularity of the MCU, so less upkeep and the rights payment every year, it's basically free money. Just like Disney, they most likely prefer to focus on in-house IPs or juggernaut brands NOT owned by a competing theme park down the street.

Last edited:
Google =/= actual interest. Box office numbers do.

If that were completely true, Avatar merch wouldn't be languishing in the outlet mall and Brother Bear, not The Little Mermaid, would be represented in 3 of the 4 Orlando parks. There's an ineffable quality that plays into which fads prove evergreen and which burn out without a trace. Right now I'd rather an Avengers attraction over a Star Wars one, but whose to say how either IP will be regarded by the general public in 5 years? Ultimately I think that's the danger of relying on IPs to theme rides that are supposed to last for decades.

I guess I should note I wasn't trying to post this for more than it is. I just took a screenshot of what it shows because I though a written summery may come off as misleading. I'd be the first to point out that Google Trends is not conclusive but it is data. Not just that one average is higher than the three others combined, take note of the peaks which seem to be when movies came out. I say again not conclusive, it is data to be added to other data and the more you have the closer to the full picture. Yes, there are other variables involved. And that is true for both.

Gone with the Wind being at the top is a travesty.

Would people really want to count inflation as of the moment?

It's based on total tickets sold. There's 5 star wars movies in the top 25. Theres no super hero movies. The point being, if you want it to be all about box office, you have to have a true comparison. You can't say all of these avenger movies are in the top 10 and just leave it at that. Ticket prices these days are a lot higher than they used to be. It's not an accurate number.

It's based on total tickets sold. There's 5 star wars movies in the top 25. Theres no super hero movies. The point being, if you want it to be all about box office, you have to have a true comparison. You can't say all of these avenger movies are in the top 10 and just leave it at that. Ticket prices these days are a lot higher than they used to be. It's not an accurate number.
Yeah, but only one of those 5 (Force Awakens) received only one release. All the other ones received multiple releases, especially the original trilogy which is counting the Special Editions as the same film as the original.

Yes. Tickets sold are the only true denominator. Ticket prices have changed, in a constant upward mode, over the years. Box office dollars, especially after many decades of inflation, are secondary to real attendance (tickets sold) as a true indicator. Older movies have an automatic disadvantage if comparing them to a present movie's dollar box office.

Yeah if there’s nothing physically or legally stopping them I can’t see them sitting on Marvel. It’s going to expand.
Just out of curiosity, i know they can expand but any idea of just how many hoops if any they have to jump through if they wanted to? Im sure a discussion has to be had?

Just out of curiosity, i know they can expand but any idea of just how many hoops if any they have to jump through if they wanted to? Im sure a discussion has to be had?
I remember people talking about something called the “Carnage Warehouse” that’s somewhere next to Doom.

Yes. Tickets sold are the only true denominator. Ticket prices have changed, in a constant upward mode, over the years. Box office dollars, especially after many decades of inflation, are secondary to real attendance (tickets sold) as a true indicator. Older movies have an automatic disadvantage if comparing them to a present movie's dollar box office.
Modern movies also have a disadvantage due to the fact that we now have home media and older movies rotated in and out of theaters with that being the only way to see them. I suspect that’s why a movie like Gone with the Wind is so high.