Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

MSHI Expansion?

Yes. Tickets sold are the only true denominator. Ticket prices have changed, in a constant upward mode, over the years. Box office dollars, especially after many decades of inflation, are secondary to real attendance (tickets sold) as a true indicator. Older movies have an automatic disadvantage if comparing them to a present movie's dollar box office.
There's also many other factors at work. In the 30s movies didn't;t have to compete with TV. In the 60s they didn't have to compete with cable. In the 70s they didn't have to compete with home video. And nowadays they have to compete with streaming. Boxoffice is hardly the only income nowdays, or how people watch it. (To give you an idea - more people saw Gone With The Wind on television on its 2-night debut then saw the film in the theaters in its entire run including reissues. So its not an apple-to-apple comparison

Just out of curiosity, i know they can expand but any idea of just how many hoops if any they have to jump through if they wanted to? Im sure a discussion has to be had?

Basically has to be a reasonable interpretation of a character they have the rights to. It's a very broad standard, and the burden would be on Disney to prove Uni's interpretation is not true to the character. As long as Iron Man wears red and gold armor with a red light in the middle and fights bad guys, would be fine.

[Endgame spoiler incoming]
In other words, Disney has no veto to say "we don't want to make
Iron Man or Cap
movies anymore, make a Venom ride instead. Uni can really do whatever they want as long as the characters stay true to the source material. Just remember, MSHI is overbuilt by modern theme park standards, with three E-tickets and a C-ticket. I'm sure they see no need for a fifth ride.

Basically has to be a reasonable interpretation of a character they have the rights to. It's a very broad standard, and the burden would be on Disney to prove Uni's interpretation is not true to the character. As long as Iron Man wears red and gold armor with a red light in the middle and fights bad guys, would be fine.

[Endgame spoiler incoming]
In other words, Disney has no veto to say "we don't want to make
Iron Man or Cap
movies anymore, make a Venom ride instead. Uni can really do whatever they want as long as the characters stay true to the source material. Just remember, MSHI is overbuilt by modern theme park standards, with three E-tickets and a C-ticket. I'm sure they see no need for a fifth ride.
Doom? An E? I’m sorry that’s just funny when an actual E level drop tower exists down the road. Hulk at least has the super mega thrill factor going for it. Doom doesn’t even drop as fast as ToT. The only fast part is the launch.

Doom? An E? I’m sorry that’s just funny when an actual E level drop tower exists down the road. Hulk at least has the super mega thrill factor going for it. Doom doesn’t even drop as fast as ToT. The only fast part is the launch.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it isn't an E

I actually think Doom is one of the most underrated rides at Uni, BUT it' s no E ticket... (not even close)

It's important to remember that "ticket classifications" were based on popularity - not "quality" or theming. It's also comparative to the entirety of the park. It's important to remember that Small World and Matterhorn were both E tickets.

Spider-Man and Hulk are both E tickets because they were built to be, and continue to be, more popular rides within the park. Doom has, and was built to have, a lower draw. Therefore, it's not an E ticket.

All rides are not created equal.

Yes. Tickets sold are the only true denominator. Ticket prices have changed, in a constant upward mode, over the years. Box office dollars, especially after many decades of inflation, are secondary to real attendance (tickets sold) as a true indicator. Older movies have an automatic disadvantage if comparing them to a present movie's dollar box office.
Except there are sooooo many more variables to a movies’ success. Nowadays movies last about 2-3 months in a theater. The original Star Wars was in theaters for well over a year. Gone With the Wind ran for almost four years!

Also, the numbers in that graph only show the US totals. The worldwide phenomenon that the Marvel universe has become really show its popularity. As others have stated, Star Wars is not popular in Asia. That’s a major market to lose out on.

So two Es, a D and a C ... plus a fairly popular meet & greet. My point largely stands.

(Also tiki birds were an E-ticket, literally, in 1971. I'd argue Doom was built to be an E-ticket in 1999, given it's theming and queue video, but as Legacy says, things change over time.)

The key to Domestic Box Office figures is that those are tickets sold for theater viewing. That's about as close to an apples to apples comparison that you can compare. And International box office is a fairly new phenomena so you can't rally judge older movies on that criteria. Yes, pay per view, TV, cable, dvd, streaming etc. affect how much a movie is viewed at home, but those are not domestic box office numbers. That's an entirely different factor and probably impossible to quantify over a period of time since there's no accurate reporting mechanism. I'm only talking about Domestic Box Office. The other stuff is a a somewhat different discussion, and no real public measurements exist for the entirety on many film's history, especially those older films that ran in a USA where there was a considerably smaller population base to draw from.

Last edited:
I don’t think there’s anything against it as long as Universal sticks to whatever criteria is written out about how the characters should be portrayed.

I've never read the comics, I watched some of the cartoons when I was younger so I can't really comment for sure but is there any difference between the characters in the comics and the MCU? If there is, does that mean that Universal can portray the characters as both incarnations? Obviously the actors won't be the same but are they allowed to take direct inspiration from the MCU?

The key to Domestic Box Office figures is that those are tickets sold for theater viewing. That's about as close to an apples to apples comparison that you can compare. And International box office is a fairly new phenomena so you can't rally judge older movies on that criteria. Yes, pay per view, TV, cable, dvd, streaming etc. affect how much a movie is viewed at home, but those are not domestic box office numbers. That's an entirely different factor and probably impossible to quantify over a period of time since there's no accurate reporting mechanism. I'm only talking about Domestic Box Office. The other stuff is a a somewhat different discussion, and no real public measurements exist for the entirety on many film's history, especially those older films that ran in a USA where there was a considerably smaller population base to draw from.

Plenty of cult classics were box office bombs. The Shawshank Redemption, Fight Club and Blade Runner all enjoyed huge success after their theatrical run ended.

It's important to remember that "ticket classifications" were based on popularity - not "quality" or theming. It's also comparative to the entirety of the park. It's important to remember that Small World and Matterhorn were both E tickets.

Spider-Man and Hulk are both E tickets because they were built to be, and continue to be, more popular rides within the park. Doom has, and was built to have, a lower draw. Therefore, it's not an E ticket.

All rides are not created equal.
I’d say Matterhorn is still an E. It’s a very well done ride especially after the new Yetis.

Just very bumpy.
I've never read the comics, I watched some of the cartoons when I was younger so I can't really comment for sure but is there any difference between the characters in the comics and the MCU? If there is, does that mean that Universal can portray the characters as both incarnations? Obviously the actors won't be the same but are they allowed to take direct inspiration from the MCU?
I’m really not the one to ask. Didn’t someone here do a huge write up on the contract before when you guys were still trying to say Guardians wasn’t coming to WDW?

I’d say Matterhorn is still an E. It’s a very well done ride especially after the new Yetis.

Just very bumpy.

I’m really not the one to ask. Didn’t someone here do a huge write up on the contract before when you guys were still trying to say Guardians wasn’t coming to WDW?

@Brian G. seems to be the man to ask but I don't think he's in the mood for hitting his head off the wall overly probably what is a stupid question.

Just very bumpy.
I’m just saying “were” in that they literally were E-ticket attractions. They weren’t hypothetical ones (like saying Ratatouille is an E-ticket). My point was the variance. Thrill or theming are not automatic predictors.

Just very bumpy.

@Brian G. seems to be the man to ask but I don't think he's in the mood for hitting his head off the wall overly probably what is a stupid question.

Short answer - MCU-look belongs to Disney. Anything from comics is Universal.

I actually think Doom is one of the most underrated rides at Uni, BUT it' s no E ticket... (not even close)
The Doom queue and the alley leading up to the ride is great.

To be blunt, the actual ride experience sucks. It's a ride that should be sold off to Fun Spot. A quick shot up and then a slow bob up and down back to the ground. That's literally the entire ride experience and it's about 30 seconds. The land could be put to so much better use and I can guarantee you that 99% of even the most die hard theme park fans wouldn't miss it if it left.

You could make a case that Doom is an E-ticket.
disneyland-e-ticket-1-750x356.jpg