HBO's Game of Thrones | Page 34 | Inside Universal Forums

HBO's Game of Thrones

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Just rewatched The Long Night and overall I'm still in the 'very positive' camp.

I've certainly had issues with the writing at times, as much as anyone else, but seeing people complaining about prophecies or theories not coming to fruition is frustrating when by definition the majority of them will be false and there can only ultimately be one way of resolving things. I also think Arya was a good move, and to the people saying it was cliche / fan service, I don't see how Jon doing it could have been anything other than totally expected and uninspired. A couple more deaths would have seemed appropriate, but with this as with the people moaning about lack of fill-in/exposition from Bran about the Night King, I'm sure there will be more to come.

The cinematography was fantastic, and I'm surprised more credit hasn't been given for the extended shots in the opening sequence and the latter stages of the fight in the courtyard and kennels. Moving in sequence past all the different groups of characters without breaking shot made it feel so much more involved and realistic.

If anything though, the episode is an educational in how vociferous the few can be. The episode is getting pretty shredded on Youtube and in some quarters elsewhere by people trying to paint it as some great disaster, when the overwhelming majority of average viewers seem to have loved it and 9/10 instead of 9.6/10 or whatever it's previous record episode was is still pretty insane. Hearing now that episode 5 is the 'big' big one, so will be interesting to see how it squares up against the episode just gone.

Episode 4 has leaked and is spreading through social media. Might be time to avoid if you don't want to see any spoilers.

I'll be interested to see what they make of these. Should be very good, I think, and as long as it's handled properly it should provide the depth of history and slow-burn narrative development which people have felt to be missing from GoT itself recently.

As for this week's episode... Mostly what I expected but harder to defend than last week's was. It was nice to somewhat have a bit of a return to the plotting-and-scheming dialogue-heavy Thrones of prior seasons, but at the same time that most acutely showed up the decline in the quality of writing. On the level of language and register, some lines just didn't sit right. Arya's "We need a word" was down there with Daenerys' horrendously 21st-century pep chat with Sansa a couple of weeks ago. I also have to eat my words on having faith they'd use this episode to answer some of the questions about the hows and whys of the Night King and his demise -- completely ignored. Jaime's latest about-turn seems truly questionable after his apparent character development of late, and Brienne crying and pleading was quite a disservice to her imo. Only glad Arya wasn't sent riding off into the sunset with Gendry -- I was afraid they might actually have done it.

Reactions: Andysol

"Maybe that's why the Battle of Winterfell episode was so dark -- no time to get rid of all of the coffee cups!"

Hah!

As for last night's- It was the best episode in a while. I fell in love with GoT for the scheming, not the action sequences.
Granted, the scheming was spoonfed to use like we were idiots instead of subtle hints and movement behind the scenes like the original great seasons used to do; but considering the 7 episode condensed format and a whole lot to cram in, that's to be expected.

I agree with your synopsis @DragonSlayer with the exception being Brienne. She's a human, not a robot. And the fact she gave up her virginity to him is going to yield some heavy emotion. I think it would've been unrealistic for her not to have acted the way she did. It makes her more complex.

Last edited:
Can we disgust the insanity of the last 2 episodes briefly? It's always fun for me.

1) Last episode, it appears only a handful of heroes survive the battle by the skin of their teeth. Then we find out... nah.... half the army is still around.

2) Sam lived. Sam. Lived. Sam.

3) Full frontal assault with the Dothraki. In the dark. Against an unknown army. Which wartime general developed the strategy "Send in cavalry first when outnumbered 50:1".

4) Do Targaryens just not scout? How the F are you not going to know there is an entire fleet of ships with giant crossbows???

5) And oh, the crossbow. Of course it'll hit a moving target. Not once. Not twice. But three times, one being in the neck. They couldn't hit that dragon once if they had 500 chances. :lol:

6) Maybe my favorite. Malisandre walking out to her death. Why were the bodies piled up 50 high on each side but she somehow had a straight perfect path cleared for her.

Help me out. What else am I missing?

While some think the time travel of last season was the most egregious thing...

But the gold standard for me still goes to Jamie and Bron swimming across an entire lake with their swords and full armor and jamie's gold hand without being detected by an entire army.

I mean these last few episodes have just exposed the writing for what it is. Bad lately. Oh hey two dragons against Cersei will be an easy win. Let’s just kill on randomly by some Hawkeye level accuracy from boats that everyone should have seen. Then let’s not dragon fire those boats right after they shoot at you.

Ghost was once a huge friend for Jon and then he’s like see ya.

Help me out. What else am I missing?

While some think the time travel of last season was the most egregious thing...

But the gold standard for me still goes to Jamie and Bron swimming across an entire lake with their swords and full armor and jamie's gold hand without being detected by an entire army.

I know everyone loves it, and it was cool, but the Battle of the Bastards. I mean, standing in front of 100 horsemen with your sword raised hopefully as if you're going to somehow not get trampled :lol:

In a way, Dany was scouting first with her dragons until one got shot down. I'm sure she was tempted to roast the Iron Fleet, but she wanted to try the diplomatic approach first by asking for Cersei's surrender to spare innocent civilians.

Disappointing that after it's revealed Ghost survived, Jon totally dismissed him. Not a hug, stroke on the back or pat on the head.

In a way, Dany was scouting first with her dragons until one got shot down. I'm sure she was tempted to roast the Iron Fleet, but she wanted to try the diplomatic approach first by asking for Cersei's surrender to spare innocent civilians.

Disappointing that after it's revealed Ghost survived, Jon totally dismissed him. Not a hug, stroke on the back or pat on the head.
She gives 0 craps about diplomacy. She had every chance to fry those ships yet plot armor for Cersei and Euron didn’t allow it. Whole season has been nothing but plot armor for people who didn’t need and bad writing to push a story line.

Reactions: Legacy and Andysol
Cersei winning would be the worst thing for this show IMO. She’s such a comically evil character at this point it’s funny. This terrible version of Euron just makes it even worse.

At this point, I’ll probably be happy to see Cersei on the throne by the time it’s finished.

I’m on team Cersei vs Dany. Not that it would ever happen.

Of the actual possibilities, I hope Sansa gets it. I’ve never really liked Dany. She’s incredibly immature, she’s impulsive, she’s unrealistic, and she’s not a good leader whatsoever. Jon doesn’t have a diplomatic bone in his body.

Sansa at least has a pair and also cares about her subjects. Who was the only one worried about feeding everyone? Sansa.
Who was the only one who said maybe they should wait just a bit before going after kings landing? Sansa.

It’s easy to have followers when you have dragons. But as a leader, Dany is simply an idealistic dolt.

While we’re having a complaint-fest, I’ll add that I hate what they’ve done to Bron. He used to be a great and fun side character element and he’s completely useless now. Another character they should’ve killed off at some point or just given him a little cameo since they clearly have nothing to do with him after his Jamie relationship.

Last edited:
If you haven't seen episode 3 or 4 probably should avoid this post...

3) Full frontal assault with the Dothraki. In the dark. Against an unknown army. Which wartime general developed the strategy "Send in cavalry first when outnumbered 50:1".

Yep! and no one actually told them to charge! They just got their swords set on fire and then left without anyone ordering them to!

and the fact that Drogon and Dany just assume he's gone when he literally landed 5 feet away in crystal clear water!

I’m on team Cersei vs Dany. Not that it would ever happen.

Of the actual possibilities, I hope Sansa gets it. I’ve never really liked Dany. She’s incredibly immature, she’s impulsive, she’s unrealistic, and she’s not a good leader whatsoever. Jon doesn’t have a diplomatic bone in his body.

I agree about Dany (but not Jon), and it really seems like they are making her 'go mad' like her father, meaning she ultimately becomes what she has been trying to fight against.

Sansa has turned the 'sass' up to the max so far this season, her looks and one liners have been brilliant!

I don't see how the writers could possibly live up to the expectations for this final season, for the most part I'm happy so far, but there has been weaker dialogue and plot development than we are used too.

I am all caught up now. Thoroughly enjoying it. The darkness of 3 didn’t bother me one bit and I feel the battle was as clear as any major battle scene could be. I liked the fact that it was unclear who survived it. It created tension.

In 4, I thought Tyrion was going to get snuffed if not on purpose then by accident. Great tension. I am looking forward to 5 along with the rest of you! ;)

Last edited:
So… Mother of Dragons dies on Mother's Day? Yea or nay?

It would solve one problem.

On another note. The Hound says he has unfinished business in King’s Landing... which must be his brother. Aria says she has something to do there too... what might her unfinished business be? It’s not coming to me.