Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS) | Page 38 | Inside Universal Forums

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
1. The GMR redo was a $100+ million proposal. The attraction needed an entirely new ride system and operating system, multiple scenes replaced, and the remaining scenes would have needed upgrades.

2. There really was little chance of a ROI because marketing an upgrade to a 30 year old ride is difficult.

3. And many lament the loss of the parks thesis attraction forgetting that the parks theme is moving away from "The Golden Age of Film Making" to WDW's IPark3.

Not to mention that the average park guests loathed the ride. One of the lowest GSATS at WDW. And the top brass felt that upgrades to the existing attraction would have done little to change that. An assessment that I agree with, btw.

Ain't no accident UOE and GMR closed on the same day.

That’s a much better way of saying it, for sure. Thank you.

I personally feel that Disney has specific people/groups/contractors that they work with, and they’re happy with them.

They probably could’ve moved people around to get this done sooner, but they have their own priorities. Epcot projects, hotels, parking lot changes and security booths at three parks now, and other projects, all going on at once.

So, they chose to put this off. Star Wars is obviously the priority. And we’re getting it sooner than anyone expected. Soooo, sorry Mickey.

Without giving too many details, I can say I know of quite a few contractors that used to work with Disney/UOR on a regular basis, that no longer can because the requirements have gotten too strict, and the insurance carriers are no longer allowing these big
Jobs free reign.

Reactions: Alicia
According to both @Marni1971 and other insiders over at Magic, it was a very real thing. @Magic Feather may know a bit on the situation, i'm not sure.

1. The GMR redo was a $100+ million proposal. The attraction needed an entirely new ride system and operating system, multiple scenes replaced, and the remaining scenes would have needed upgrades.

2. There really was little chance of a ROI because marketing an upgrade to a 30 year old ride is difficult.

3. And many lament the loss of the parks thesis attraction forgetting that the parks theme is moving away from "The Golden Age of Film Making" to WDW's IPark3.

Not to mention that the average park guests loathed the ride. One of the lowest GSATS at WDW. And the top brass felt that upgrades to the existing attraction would have done little to change that. An assessment that I agree with, btw.
My knowledge (and opinion for that matter) varies a little bit, but I am always subject to be missing a puzzle piece or two.

IIRC- The GMR redo proposal was not that intensive for the ride system (unlike the UoE no coaster refresh), as it was comparatively well maintained. There were still significant issues with the attractions (problems with gas lines etc.)
RoI on GMR is very arguable and very tricky, but, having a people eater with higher-than-before GSATS open with SWL that had a recent refresh to draw people in would (IMO) prevent quite a few people from being angry about a lack of things to do while locked out of Star Wars Land because John couldn’t get the family into the virtual line fast enough.
Also, I would argue that DHS has been IP Park #2 since December 1989 (when Star Tours opened). They barely made an effort to tie that into film making. Muppets and Tower continued that trend (RnRc was an awkward misfire though).

Finally, say what you will about GMR’s worst-in-the-park-with-four-other-rides-that-barely-lost-and-still-is-better-than-most-rides-in-MK-or-Epcot GSAT’s, but they were not irrecoverable, even if it took the smaller refurb option GMR had.

My knowledge (and opinion for that matter) varies a little bit, but I am always subject to be missing a puzzle piece or two.

IIRC- The GMR redo proposal was not that intensive for the ride system (unlike the UoE no coaster refresh), as it was comparatively well maintained. There were still significant issues with the attractions (problems with gas lines etc.)
RoI on GMR is very arguable and very tricky, but, having a people eater with higher-than-before GSATS open with SWL that had a recent refresh to draw people in would (IMO) prevent quite a few people from being angry about a lack of things to do while locked out of Star Wars Land because John couldn’t get the family into the virtual line fast enough.
Also, I would argue that DHS has been IP Park #2 since December 1989 (when Star Tours opened). They barely made an effort to tie that into film making. Muppets and Tower continued that trend (RnRc was an awkward misfire though).

Finally, say what you will about GMR’s worst-in-the-park-with-four-other-rides-that-barely-lost-and-still-is-better-than-most-rides-in-MK-or-Epcot GSAT’s, but they were not irrecoverable, even if it took the smaller refurb option GMR had.
Thanks for your info input. That was an interesting, and informational, read. :thumbsup:

If they redid the attraction (prior to fox purchase) I assume they’d also have to license properties to install, as they wouldn’t be able to rely solely on Disney... thus the attraction would essentially have added expense on top of labour / maintenance / ride effects. I don’t think Disney really wants a ride with multiple contracts with multiple rights holders. This ride was always doomed eventually. Can’t be a Great Movie Ride if it’s all Disney / Fox properties...

Reactions: SkiBum
Maybe they are at a point in the process that they need skilled or experienced workers in a specific field and not just guys who can lay block or swing a hammer. Those can be harder to find, especially when theres as many projects going on at the same time as there are.

And when you start looking for "anyone" with construction experience, pot isn't the drug you are dealing with. Meth, heroin, etc abusers are what you start running into. It is a known issue in the construction trades nationwide. It's not just passing a piss test you have to worry about. It's things getting stole off job sites, things being done wrong, people not showing up or showing up high. High end trades can usually weed those people out, but when you get into general construction or semi-skilled trades you are going to see it.

This. How can people take offense regarding the suggestion that construction workers fail drug tests? Do you know who isn't offended? Construction workers and people in that trade; in particular the owners and managers who have to deal with those shortcomings on a constant basis. Alcoholism is also rampant.
It's well known and documented. It has nothing to do with race either, it's the trade itself.

Is it the problem? No. So OP was wrong, but certainly not "offensive".

ROTR will have extensive (real) sets and numerous AAs. Advantage (on paper): ROTR.

Runaway Railway is definitely more interesting to me than Smuggler's Run, Ratatouille, and Guardians, though.

I’d like to see a poll on this board to see where all the new Disney rides are ranking but not a poll where it’s just one vote. Give them a rank, find the average and see how they all place.

Reactions: belloq87