Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)

I'm sure this puts me in a extreme minority, but I thought Iron Paltrow was kinda lame.

Yeah, I didn't see the point of her being there at all. If not for being there when Tony died, there was no need for her to be in the fight.

Also, does it bother anyone that in the first Ironman they make a big deal about how much trouble Tony has learning to use the suit, but everyone else can jump right in them and be a seasoned fighter?

Last edited:
Yeah, I didn't see the point of her being there at all. If not for being there when Tony died, there was no need for her to be in the fight.
Exactly. Kinda falls into what @Nick said about how little Hulk did during the final battle. Hulk had such a minor part in it for a character that was a mainstay throughout the franchise, whereas Pepper gets her 15 minutes of fame at the end for no reason. With that many characters that played integral parts throughout the movies, you really shouldn't take away their screen time for a minor character.

Also, does it bother anyone that in the first Ironman they make a big deal about how much trouble Tony has learning to use the suit, but everyone else can jump right in them and be a seasoned fighter?

The first Iron Man was 11 years ago, and the Mark I, II, and III were first of its kind suits/tech; and let's not forget that Tony was not a fighter, and his first mission he was taking ass and kicking names....

The tech obviously came a long way, as he uses Nano now and made a much easier, streamlined suit. It's also not unfathomable to think Tony taught Pepper how to use the suit during the 5 year lapse, especially as they now have Morgan to protect.

Also - it's a friggin' comic book movie....

But the much larger point....

I'm sure this puts me in a extreme minority, but I thought Iron Paltrow was kinda lame.

Exactly. Kinda falls into what @Nick said about how little Hulk did during the final battle. Hulk had such a minor part in it for a character that was a mainstay throughout the franchise, whereas Pepper gets her 15 minutes of fame at the end for no reason. With that many characters that played integral parts throughout the movies, you really shouldn't take away their screen time for a minor character.

If you noticed, the ones who will no longer be part of the franchise had complete story and character arcs in Endgame. Sure, Pepper's addition may have been a bit of fan service (she does don the suit in the comics, fyi) - but it also was a much-needed character moment for the end of Iron Man's story.

As far as Hulk, he was a minor part in the battle - but he was a pretty pivotal character throughout the rest of the movie, considering he was the only one who was able to snap everyone back (which explains why he was a bit absent during the battle as he was essentially fighting with one-arm); but more importantly, his story isn't over....

The one thing that’s a bit nit-picky, but still bothers me is why Tony was able to handle the stones so much better upon putting the glove on than Hulk, who nearly lost his arm before he could even snap.

Obviously Hulk lived and Tony died, but Tony being able to wear the gauntlet and not have it affect him until post-snap seemed a bit odd.

The first Iron Man was 11 years ago, and the Mark I, II, and III were first of its kind suits/tech; and let's not forget that Tony was not a fighter, and his first mission he was taking ass and kicking names....

The tech obviously came a long way, as he uses Nano now and made a much easier, streamlined suit. It's also not unfathomable to think Tony taught Pepper how to use the suit during the 5 year lapse, especially as they now have Morgan to protect.

Also - it's a friggin' comic book movie....

Col Rhodes and the Extremis guy in IM3 also were able to hop right in suits and run them pretty flawlessly and that was much earlier, non-nano tech.

If you noticed, the ones who will no longer be part of the franchise had complete story and character arcs in Endgame. Sure, Pepper's addition may have been a bit of fan service (she does don the suit in the comics, fyi) - but it also was a much-needed character moment for the end of Iron Man's story.
I know that lots of people have worn the suit. I went in with no expectations other than some Thanos butt-kickin', so Iron Pepper really caught me off guard. Definitely felt like fan service to me, but I can see how it does also make Tony's death a little heavier having Pepper there on scene. But to have Pepper battling shoulder to shoulder with Okoye and the Wasp was just a little weird to me.

The one thing that’s a bit nit-picky, but still bothers me is why Tony was able to handle the stones so much better upon putting the glove on than Hulk, who nearly lost his arm before he could even snap.

Obviously Hulk lived and Tony died, but Tony being able to wear the gauntlet and not have it affect him until post-snap seemed a bit odd.

Yeah, In GOTG they established that non-gods couldn't handle the purple stone. Yet Tony rolled with all of them.

I think Professor Hulk will get old if he stays the same over multiple movies, but Marvel has done a great job of evolving Hulk throughout the MCU. He’d become a boring character if it was just him smashing things all the time (imo).

My one complaint is that Hulk didn’t get a moment during the glorious fight scene at the end of the movie. Cap, Scarlet Witch, Captain Marvel, Thor, Iron Man, Strange, A-Force, etc all had big moment during that scene, which I think is a cinematic masterpiece. Hulk was just sort of there.

He needs to unleash his inner Hulk at those times and be a little less cerebral. Just my opinion. Mix the smashing in when needed to show that he can still go full-blown berserker rage when needed.

As far as Hulk, he was a minor part in the battle - but he was a pretty pivotal character throughout the rest of the movie, considering he was the only one who was able to snap everyone back (which explains why he was a bit absent during the battle as he was essentially fighting with one-arm); but more importantly, his story isn't over....
Hulk’s story isn’t over, but neither is Captain Marvel, Thor, or really honestly the VAST majority of people in that fight.

It was only over for Iron Man, Cap and I guess Hawkeye and Rescue, although Clint & Pepper Potts are still alive in universe (I suppose Cap is too, but there was more finality with his character in this movie I felt). Black Widow had already died at this point, too.

My point is the only reason for Hulk not getting a big sequence has to have been the arm, but at the same time, he’s still Hulk.

Hawkeye ain’t over either. I thought he had a series coming?
Yeah I said he’s still alive. He’s got his series, but he’s likely done in the movies. Of course you never know I guess.

What I mean by this is I just don’t expect to see Hawkeye again in the movies bc the series is now canon. They can write him out on there.

Yeah I said he’s still alive. He’s got his series, but he’s likely done in the movies. Of course you never know I guess.

What I mean by this is I just don’t expect to see Hawkeye again in the movies bc the series is now canon. They can write him out on there.
I'm pretty sure they've already implied that the Hawkeye Disney+ series will be about him handing off the position to the next Hawkeye (probably a girl, either his daughter or someone else).

My expectation would be that the "next Hawkeye" will have a contract to appear in the next team up movie (my random guess is New Avengers in 2023).

I'm pretty sure they've already implied that the Hawkeye Disney+ series will be about him handing off the position to the next Hawkeye (probably a girl, either his daughter or someone else).

My expectation would be that the "next Hawkeye" will have a contract to appear in the next team up movie (my random guess is New Avengers in 2023).
I more meant Clint Barton. He’s probably done in the movies, except for maybe cameos should his daughter take on the Hawkeye mantle.

I more meant Clint Barton. He’s probably done in the movies, except for maybe cameos should his daughter take on the Hawkeye mantle.
Yeah I think only Hulk and Thor will be appearing in the movies outside of Black Widow's prequel movie. Clint joins Steve and Tony in retirement.

Yeah I think only Hulk and Thor will be appearing in the movies outside of Black Widow's prequel movie. Clint joins Steve and Tony in retirement.
I do think he’ll be there for Black Widow’s movie, as it just makes sense chronologically that Hawkeye (and Nick Fury) would be a part of a Black Widow prequel. That’s probably it though.

My one complaint is that Hulk didn’t get a moment during the glorious fight scene at the end of the movie. Cap, Scarlet Witch, Captain Marvel, Thor, Iron Man, Strange, A-Force, etc all had big moment during that scene, which I think is a cinematic masterpiece. Hulk was just sort of there.

I legit thought Hulk wasn't even in the fight. I even remember wondering "Where is he?" and then when I saw him with his arm in a sling, I just figured he was injured for the fight. So the fact he did anything at all is news to me.

and let's not forget that Tony was not a fighter

As opposed to the highly skilled fighter... Pepper

I legit thought Hulk wasn't even in the fight. I even remember wondering "Where is he?" and then when I saw him with his arm in a sling, I just figured he was injured for the fight. So the fact he did anything at all is news to me.

As opposed to the highly skilled fighter... Pepper

That’s the point? Tony’s first mission as Iron Man went pretty damn smoothly for someone without any combat training. So how with better tech, better AI, and assuming she got some training from Tony; it’s not totally crazy.

I’d thought there would have been a chance that it was Pepper in the rescue armour that would have saved Tony and Nebula but that’s obviously ridiculous.

My only criticism of Pepper being there during the final fight is that Tony was prepared to skip this fight because he had a happy retired life with his family. He didn’t want to risk their lives by bringing the battle back home but he obviously decided otherwise.

Pepper getting involved created a possible scenario where they could have left their daughter as an orphan if they both didn’t survive. Obviously if Thanos won then it wouldn’t have mattered anyway but I think at least one of them should have stayed at home to protect their daughter.

I’d thought there would have been a chance that it was Pepper in the rescue armour that would have saved Tony and Nebula but that’s obviously ridiculous.

My only criticism of Pepper being there during the final fight is that Tony was prepared to skip this fight because he had a happy retired life with his family. He didn’t want to risk their lives by bringing the battle back home but he obviously decided otherwise.

Pepper getting involved created a possible scenario where they could have left their daughter as an orphan if they both didn’t survive. Obviously if Thanos won then it wouldn’t have mattered anyway but I think at least one of them should have stayed at home to protect their daughter.

Well, the original plan didn't involve Thanos jumping into the future with them. :lol: The only risk was going back and getting stuck there. There wasn't supposed to be a battle.