Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Detective Pikachu

Just critics? No audience yet?

Its only out in East Asia (opened in Japan May 3rd and technically opened in Korea a few hours ago though the first public showing in theaters is 8 AM [5 hours from time of this post] which I will be at.) Neither of those countries use or post audience scores on Rotten Tomatoes.

Also looking at japanese reviews on twitter and the like, it seems more saw the Japanese Dub with different voice actors which sometimes changes the language and jokes used in a scene making it somewhat unreliable to compare with Original language version

Last edited:
*Reads one of the mixed reviews, the critic thought the 1st pokemon movie was a real jewel...*

I think this film is gonna be a "agree to disagree" with the critics. Since I wouldn't count the 1st animated film as any kind of jewel.

Just saw it. Story was weak with mr mime being the best part but god the world building was amazing. After this movie you will want a world with Pokémon and No one would be close to be content with a Pokémon snap ride after it.

Three word reviews from three others I saw it with

Fun nostalgic cool
Wow cute fun
Yas Queen yas

The sound editing though was the biggest issue. I overslept for the 8 am showing

Last edited:

Just saw it. Story was weak with mr mime being the best part but god the world building was amazing. After this movie you will want a world with Pokémon and No one would be close to be content with a Pokémon snap ride after it.

Three word reviews from three others I saw it with

Fun nostalgic cool
Wow cute fun
Yas Queen yas

The sound editing though was the biggest issue. I overslept for the 8 am showing

Just from the trailer I could tell how good the setting was. Rhyme City for Pokémon land anyone? ;)

You need new friends Quinn :grin:

maybe all I need is a good Pokemon partner to go see films with me

Just from the trailer I could tell how good the setting was. Rhyme City for Pokémon land anyone? ;)

Rhyme City is a great location but there were some real limitations for Universal to do it and I have a feeling a lot of people would be disappointed if it couldn't live up to it. The trailers doesn't display the location at a level it deserves.

Take galaxy's edge and then have to add 40 more AAs just hanging around and another 50 moving around.

No they didn't, after one minute, it's Pikachu dancing the rest of the video. This seems like a genius marketing move.

I was trying to see if anyone would try to fall for it. :eek:O: :tease:

That said, I fully agree; and it's one of the most out-of-box ideas to market the film. I even have to wonder if this was Ryan's idea in some ways, as it'd seem like something that he would try to pull.

Entertainment Youtuber John Campea often says (and I agree) that Worldwide opening numbers are meaningless, because most movies do staggered openings worldwide. The only way to truly compare is domestic opening figures or the FINAL worldwide totals.

Right now, Detective Pikachu is expected to make $56-$80M while Endgame is projected for $67-80M. It’ll be interesting where they end up.

Last edited:
This was ... really disappointing lol.

To note: I have little to no attachment to Pokémon, but thought the movie looked really cute.

Ryan Reynolds did a great job and definitely carried the film. The creature design was outstanding and the action scenes were fun to watch, but beyond that, the script was a conga line of cringey tropes and a weird choppy narrative. You can’t save a terrible screenplay.

Ryan Reynolds did a great job and definitely carried the film. The creature design was outstanding and the action scenes were fun to watch, but beyond that, the script was a conga line of cringey tropes and a weird choppy narrative. You can’t save a terrible screenplay.

disagree here. I thought Mr Mime carried the film but Ryan Reynolds really did just play Ryan Reynolds.

One thing I love about theatres here is the theaters themselves real time update the total viewers for a film as well as demographics and the ranking. Currently Detective Pikachu ranks #3 on all theme big cinema chains for a total of 58,000 viewers yesterday.

If you look at the spiderweb chart located at the bottom, this represents the reason they enjoyed the film. Categories include Story, OST (Soundtrack), Director, Actor, and Visual graphics. Indicated by that chart, most people enjoyed it for the visual graphics while only few enjoyed the other aspects. The audience was heavily female and those over the age of 20.

bAV2vVv.png

[명탐정 피카츄]<영화상세 < 영화 | 영화 그 이상의 감동. CGV

Detective Pikachu is also underpeforming in Japan in the real time charts being beaten by another detective which is Detective Conan

Based on states and numbers, it seem Asia is not coming for Detective Pikachu as anticipated leading to an overall international including the US opening weekend debut of $100 mil.

Detective Pikachu Pockets $21M Overseas, Endgame Scores New Milestones – Deadline