Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

That Darn Marvel Contract – What Rights Does Universal and Disney Own

I’m pretty sure these have already been sold out. But was wondering why wouldn’t they sell more than just 480? And why not in one of the Orlando Parks? They don’t even sell limited edition Magic Bands this low in quantity.

I’m pretty sure these have already been sold out. But was wondering why wouldn’t they sell more than just 480? And why not in one of the Orlando Parks? They don’t even sell limited edition Magic Bands this low in quantity.

Selling these in the park would violate the contract. We've been over this.

Do LE magic bands count?

Other than that no, but let’s be honest, most Marvel merch on MSHI isn’t park specific, either
Agreed. My point was just that it's possible generically selling a Spiderman toy in MK say, might not violate the contract.

Agreed. My point was just that it's possible generically selling a Spiderman toy in MK say, might not violate the contract.
Well yeah, they’re carefully skirting around what they can and can’t do.

It’s all generic stuff that they sell, although, one could argue its exclusive in a way. They sell MCU stuff, which Universal cannot sell.

Well yeah, they’re carefully skirting around what they can and can’t do.

It’s all generic stuff that they sell, although, one could argue its exclusive in a way. They sell MCU stuff, which Universal cannot sell.
I feel like some of the higher end statues and what not in the MSHI shops are MCU.

I just thought of something....I wonder if Thor has separate requirements specified in the contract, since Thor is basically an existing mythological god, and most of the other parts are existing as well.

I could see Disney being able to make a Thor attraction, but it would have to be different enough from the Marvel version....they WOULDN'T of course, but I think they have ability to

I just thought of something....I wonder if Thor has separate requirements specified in the contract, since Thor is basically an existing mythological god, and most of the other parts are existing as well.

I could see Disney being able to make a Thor attraction, but it would have to be different enough from the Marvel version....they WOULDN'T of course, but I think they have ability to

Well, yea......

There's an implied duty of good faith in contract law. So even if brunette Thor and blond Loki popped up in the Norway pavilion with zero resemblance to Chris Helmsworth and Tom Huddleston ... Disney would still get sued out of the water.

No separate requirements in the contract for Thor because by 1989 an attempt at making a Thor TV show had bombed, no one anticipated the character would ever support his own movie.

There's an implied duty of good faith in contract law. So even if brunette Thor and blond Loki popped up in the Norway pavilion with zero resemblance to Chris Helmsworth and Tom Huddleston ... Disney would still get sued out of the water.

No separate requirements in the contract for Thor because by 1989 an attempt at making a Thor TV show had bombed, no one anticipated the character would ever support his own movie.

That was one of the Hulk revival TV movies, right? Thor was a buff dude in a furry vest?

To clarify - they would get sued if it resembled anything comic-related for Thor; but why couldn't they have an interpretation of Thor from Norse myth? I'd assume since they have the myth Thor in the stave church, it's fine.

To clarify - they would get sued if it resembled anything comic-related for Thor; but why couldn't they have an interpretation of Thor from Norse myth? I'd assume since they have the myth Thor in the stave church, it's fine.

I think any walk-around viking character named "Thor" would be inviting a lawsuit. A single item in the church would probably slide, but an entire exhibit dedicated to Thor, promoted as such? I bet at least a cease and desist letter gets sent.

That was one of the Hulk revival TV movies, right? Thor was a buff dude in a furry vest?

Yeah, apparently a backdoor pilot, like the Daredevil/Hulk team-up. Thor was fun but they made him a separate entity to nerdy Donald Blake, basically setting up a buddy comedy.

So could Universal dress up someone as the Big Lebowski and walk around saying he's Thor? lol