HBO's Game of Thrones | Page 38 | Inside Universal Forums

HBO's Game of Thrones

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
We can all talk about characters doing stupid things which make no sense based on their previous experiences, but humans do stupid things sometimes with no reason, so that's not necessarily lazy writing it's life.

I have mixed feelings, need to watch it again before making my mind up, but in general I liked it. It certainly was spectacular but it didn't have the same effect on me as Battle of the Bastards or Hardhome which is my all time favourite episode.

I'm rooting for Sansa to end up as queen of the seven kingdoms, but that may be too much of a 'happy' ending to wish for.
I think we're going to end up with Westeros divided into 4 "Kingdoms," with each of four main houses residing as rulers. Those rulers being Sansa, Jon, Tyrion, and Gendry - Stark, Targaryen, Lannister, and Baratheon.

Reactions: Brian G.
I think we're going to end up with Westeros divided into 4 "Kingdoms," with each of four main houses residing as rulers. Those rulers being Sansa, Jon, Tyrion, and Gendry - Stark, Targaryen, Lannister, and Baratheon.

I can see a lot of people upset with that "happy" ending.

I can see a lot of people upset with that "happy" ending.
It's the ending that getting set up though. Two of those four are already in position (Sansa and Gendry). Dany is highly unlikely to survive the final episode, leaving Jon as king in King's Landing (or, likely moving to Dragonstone). Tyrion gets awarded a seat for 1) his efforts to save the people of King's Landing both here and Battle of Blackwater (earning Jon's vote), 2) his protection of Sansa (earning her vote), and 3) for helping Gendry and Davos escape Flea Bottom.

The show has always been about the characters. In this ending, you have two "bastards," an imp, and a lady jointly ruling the realm, and none of the four of them ever really wanted it.

It's the ending that getting set up though. Two of those four are already in position (Sansa and Gendry). Dany is highly unlikely to survive the final episode, leaving Jon as king in King's Landing (or, likely moving to Dragonstone). Tyrion gets awarded a seat for 1) his efforts to save the people of King's Landing both here and Battle of Blackwater (earning Jon's vote), 2) his protection of Sansa (earning her vote), and 3) for helping Gendry and Davos escape Flea Bottom.

The show has always been about the characters. In this ending, you have two "bastards," an imp, and a lady jointly ruling the realm, and none of the four of them ever really wanted it.

That sounds like a satisfying ending. Which is why I fear it may not happen.

Reactions: kristenabelle
I don't think Jon wants to or should be a leader. I think, if he survives, he heads far further north than Winferfell. I think Tyrion and Sansa may end up as leaders, possibly together. Or maybe Dany will just kill everybody and that's that.

He led the Night's Watch, without wanting to be a leader. He did it because he recognized he was the best person for it.
But I don't know that the people are going to accept another Targaryen in power, no matter who it is. There is a good case to be made for them all being crazy. I also think Jon is a fantastic general, but he has huge blind spots in other necessary parts of being a ruler.

Last edited:
Just finished watching and trying to process it. Quick response is that it was probably the most visually stunning episode of tv ever.

For everything I liked, there was something I didn’t.

Overall, I enjoyed it but I’m disappointed this is where we are with only one episode left to go.

I think my biggest complainant is that the whole "Mad Queen" story line didn't feel earned. Because as an episode it was quite the spectacle - it looked great on screen. But it was sooo rushed/forced to make this visual work that it was just like WTF. Also I've been waiting for years for #JusticefortheTyrells and then THAT is how Cersi goes out. So much disappointment.

Visually this was my favorite episode in years. Plot wise it might be my least favorite of the series.

Rewatching and wondering why Varys burned the letter he had started writing? Just a second thought when he knew it was over? And did the paper burn when he put it in a dish and covered it? Does it matter?

I noticed WETA in the credits. Has WETA done work on the show before or was it the only option here for completing such a demanding task?

Do a dragon’s fire glands ever go empty?

I do have a problem with Arya going from a vengeful killing machine back to a wee little dusty lost girl. That seemed really wacky to me.

Rewatching and wondering why Varys burned the letter he had started writing? Just a second thought when he knew it was over? And did the paper burn when he put it in a dish and covered it? Does it matter?

I noticed WETA in the credits. Has WETA done work on the show before or was it the only option here for completing such a demanding task?

Do a dragon’s fire glands ever go empty?

I do have a problem with Arya going from a vengeful killing machine back to a wee little dusty lost girl. That seemed really wacky to me.

I wondered about the burning in a sealed contained and about the dragon glands too :lol:

I think Arya's occasional trepidation is actually very fitting. She's trained, and she's efficient, and she can do things like killing the Night King or her list of enemies, but ultimately she still has that vulnerability when overwhelmed by what's happening in the world around her. Same as Daenerys' look of utter desolation in the seconds before she takes off to start the spree is about vulnerability too, and Cersei's tearful end shows her vulnerability. One of the things the show has kept up well is that, like no one being wholly good or wholly bad, no one is impervious to all vulnerabilities all of the time.

Rewatching without being quite so on the edge of my seat, I could better appreciate those two very prolonged continuous shots during the sequence of Arya's escape. The first goes on for what must be a full minute, through a sprawling set over multiple levels, and with dozens and dozens of people and with her interacting with them. Incredible and hyper-real photography.

The shows 2 biggest antagonists, Cersei and Night King go out in anticlimactic ways and with one episode left, they decide to go with the mad queen. I’ve pretty much have been left not knowing how to feel after every episode this season. It seems as if maybe they would have benefited from an extra 2 episodes.

Reactions: SeventyOne
After re-watching episode 5, I can see how it's a love/hate situation. The whole season does feel rushed. No doubt about it. Not enough satisfying deaths in this episode that we're used to from this show. I get that many things have come full circle or have been callbacks to certain characters' previous statements which was poetic, but didn't provide poetic justice. Cinematography of the battle and King's Landing's inferno were stunning. The about face of individual story arcs suggested lazy writing.

One of my favorite scenes is Cersei, Qyburn and The Mountain escaping from the Red Keep as it's crumbling and Cleganebowl. Reminded me of Zelda's Ocarina of Time where after you defeat Ganondorf, you're forced to escape Ganon's Tower as it's crumbling.

I can't help but think the series finale will piss off a crap-ton of people. Nothing so far has me believing we'll get a proper ending that will answer most questions, tie up most loose ends and leaves us with proper closure. Preparing for the outrage that will come in five day's time.

Btw, is there an iron throne left to sit in?

I feel like there isn't.

But honestly, that's probably a good thing. The iron throne looked terribly uncomfortable to sit on. The Dragonstone throne seems considerably nicer. They should just transport that one to King's Landing.

Btw, is there an iron throne left to sit in?
Since there's been so much build up to who will sit on the throne, it either will:

A. already be destroyed and some character talk about how it wasn't comfy.
B. someone will sit on it and they destroy it to break the wheel

This season has been a rush of plot to hit the beats timed to where they needed them to be i nthe schedule vs what works organically, but it's been a fun ride.

However, between Battle of Winterfell and this week's episode, the music/cinematography has been my favorite part this season.