Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The answer to 'too many screen attractions' is NOT building roller coaster after roller coaster.

Last thing Universal need to be building is another coaster - that is only going to be loved by one set of demographic, cuts of about 70% of the people visiting (especially if it's going to be high octane loopy), and especially after building another one literally yards away.

I don't go to Disney or Universal to ride roller coasters. You can go to any local theme park, a cheap Six Flags to do that. You go to these Orlando parks for much much more. Universal is not Six Flags and should not be chasing such a small market.

But most importantly it needs to make some high grade family attractions, dark rides, that can be enjoyed from everyone from children to adults - without the incesent use of screens. From a business decision this would be the ideal way to go.

I despair at the creative decisions going on at Universal of late. On the other hand, this is probably a way of putting in a cheap attraction.

A park that opened with three rollercoasters currently has one in operation and the numbers dictated Universal's decision in building two more in replacement. A lot of people are seemingly having an identity crisis in regards to what kind of park IOA is. Adventure is in the name, and slow moving dark ride doesn't fit the bill.

A park that opened with three rollercoasters currently has one in operation and the numbers dictated Universal's decision in building two more in replacement. A lot of people are seemingly having an identity crisis in regards to what kind of park IOA is. Adventure is in the name, and slow moving dark ride doesn't fit the bill.

Are you counting Duelling Dragons as two coasters? If so, the park in a few weeks time will have three working coasters. This would be a forth. Then you have another 4 next door over at Studios (if you count Gringotts as a a coaster).

I'm aware there is a set of theme park lovers who love roller coasters. They would be happy with a park full of coasters. But there is a reason why Six Flags isn't making the returns that Disney or Universal. There is a reason that even with some very good coasters at Sea World it's numbers are falling.

A roller coaster, especially one that is very high octane - immediately rules out many family members. Little kids, or older family members won't be able to ride. Then there is an element who are terrified of coasters. So it essentially cuts away a alot of people.

As a business decision, unless it's very cheap - it makes little sense. You are essentially aping the model by Six Flags, which is no where near as successful as Universal, instead of emulating more succesful parks.

Now i'm not saying roller coasters don't belong in theme parks. I'm just saying Universal are over doing it, especially when it is neglecting so many other aspects and demographics. And especially when they are releasing one this year ! The coasters will be the new 'screen fatigue' issue.

Last edited:
Universal had been rumored to be building a coaster at JP for... Over ten years? Rumor had it as an Amber Minecart ride, but it makes sense they would go with something higher on the thrills now that dueling dragons is replaced by something more family friendly.

I know a lot of people who will be excited that they're getting coaster after coaster.

I'm aware there is a set of theme park lovers who love roller coasters. They would be happy with a park full of coasters. But there is a reason why Six Flags isn't making the returns that Disney or Universal. There is a reason that even with some very good coasters at Sea World it's numbers are falling.
But SeaWorld's numbers aren't falling? Source on that? They're legit about to start construction on a new coaster there. If rollercoasters are such a problem, why is literally every major park in Florida building one? Universal(x2), Disney(x2), SeaWorld, and Busch Gardens. I get the need/want for more immersive experiences, but the parks have determined that this is a market they wanted to tap back into. One can complain, or they can accept. The only certainty is that we're getting a bunch of new coasters in the next two years, and it's gonna be great.

Universal had been rumored to be building a coaster at JP for... Over ten years? Rumor had it as an Amber Minecart ride, but it makes sense they would go with something higher on the thrills now that dueling dragons is replaced by something more family friendly.

I know a lot of people who will be excited that they're getting coaster after coaster.

Those same people love Six Flags. Going down the Six Flags route as a business decision makes little sense.

But SeaWorld's numbers aren't falling? Source on that? They're legit about to start construction on a new coaster there. If rollercoasters are such a problem, why is literally every major park in Florida building one? Universal(x2), Disney(x2), SeaWorld, and Busch Gardens. I get the need/want for more immersive experiences, but the parks have determined that this is a market they wanted to tap back into. One can complain, or they can accept. The only certainty is that we're getting a bunch of new coasters in the next two years, and it's gonna be great.

Stopped reading when you claimed Sea Worlds numbers aren't falling. That park is in horrendous shape, and no cheap new coasters won't address that fall.

Roller coasters are also very ugly. The beauty of a landscape can be ruined by placing a coaster in there.

Dueling Dragons was 2 different coasters. It was demolished and IOA is getting two different coasters to replace them.

By that logic then, Universal took out of a boat ride in Jaws, a physical dark ride for the family in Kong and Disaster and should be looking to equally replace those.

Well, that's incorrect. Based on overall investment, roller coasters are comparatively low-cost, typically have less maintenance concerns, and drive traffic like few other attractions can.

So again, this is perhaps a creative decision based on costs rather than the correct creative decision?

6Ujk4u6.jpg

Oh hey, look! A troll!

Three major coasters in a single park is not too much by any means. Magic Kingdom has five (don't get me started on the theming argument, they're still coasters). This is replacing two major coasters and rebuilding the thrill demographic that Dragons had before it closed. We're getting a new theme park down the road that should have plenty of dark rides. Chill.

Provide a source saying their numbers are failing.

Last released figures :

Sea World

2015 - 4.7 million visitors
2016 - 4.4 million visitors
2017 - 3.9 million visitors

I believe they may well rebound in 2018, with heavy discounts and some 'family attractions'.

30azvbl.png

Again, how is it creative licensing to say it was two different coasters?

An Orange and a Tangerine is still an orange. You can call it two coasters if you want to be facetious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.