Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney/FOX Acquisition Thread

From the Fiscal Meeting..

• Meetings began in August of 2017, shortly after Disney announced their initative to DtC Platforms
  • Iger is strongly placing The Simpsons and National Geographic as the two big brands in light of the purchase
  • They believe that Fox can be something that is strengthened for the future of the company, and are stressing positively about the people they're bringing in from Fox in light of the acquisition

BlueSky staying on Disney’s theatrical release in 2021 surprises me a decent amount out of the new film slate released yesterday. I think BlueSky would be better suited for Disney+.

Disney, Comcast reach deal on Hulu ownership | Fox Business

Comcast agreed to a future sale (basically a put/call option) of the Hulu stake to Disney. Disney will assume 100% control immediately and be able to expand Hulu internationally as well as bundle it with Disney+ worldwide.

Basically a great deal for both sides. Comcast gets to keep their upside on Hulu for the next 5 years while Disney can immediately take full control.

Comcast agreed to a future sale (basically a put/call option) of the Hulu stake to Disney. Disney will assume 100% control immediately and be able to expand Hulu internationally as well as bundle it with Disney+ worldwide.

Basically a great deal for both sides. Comcast gets to keep their upside on Hulu for the next 5 years while Disney can immediately take full control.
and...Comcast gets a good sell point protection

I mean if I was Disney at this point, why not burn through as much cash as possible forcing Comcast to pony up for its portion but keep major debuts off Hulu until after Comcast is gone? That way they get use Comcast’s dollars as seed capital and prevent the valuation from going too high.

I mean if I was Disney at this point, why not burn through as much cash as possible forcing Comcast to pony up for its portion but keep major debuts off Hulu until after Comcast is gone? That way they get use Comcast’s dollars as seed capital and prevent the valuation from going too high.
Naw, the option includes that Comcast can just choose not to pay for Hulu's spend in exchange for dilution of stake.

Disney is going to do everything it can to grow Hulu as fast as possible even if it means paying Comcast more later, after all Disney owns 66%, no reason to harm their own business now that they're guaranteed the right to buy out Comcast.

“We believe strongly in the direct-to-consumer space and our content is a key driver of that ecosystem,” Burke said in a statement. The extension of the Hulu content-licensing agreement “will generate significant cash flow for us, while giving us maximum flexibility to program and distribute to our own direct-to-consumer platform, as we build that business. Significantly, this transaction also affirms the value of our stake, provides a path to liquidity and ensures our continued equity participation in Hulu’s success.”

So along with The Simpsons, Disney is moving The Orville now to Hulu.

It poses a question to me, would Fox's more "adult" shows (such as Orville, Family Guy, and others) go to Hulu in the coming years?

So along with The Simpsons, Disney is moving The Orville now to Hulu.

It poses a question to me, would Fox's more "adult" shows (such as Orville, Family Guy, and others) go to Hulu in the coming years?

Orville has been on Hulu since season 1. New episodes become available the following day.