Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion | Page 97 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The eggs I'm putting into my speculation basket are IT, Conjuring/Anabelle/Nun, Hill House, Us, Insidious, Halloween, Happy Death Day, and as much as I hate to say it, The Purge. No way they ain't gonna have Jordan Peele at this event, he's too hot right now. Either he gets an original, US, or the Twilight Zone. WB owns half of this stuff and most of them have been already done, yet I still think they're more viable speculation options.

:jot:

The fact that it’s highly likely there’s no mazes that are based on corporate synergy or IPs that have been run to the ground (Insidious, Halloween, Purge, Freddy, etc.) and there’s no tram tells me that they are really trying to step it up now. Even Chris Williams said before the Monsterpalooza panel started that they’re working to make this a better event.

I’ve been kinda jaded on HHN the past couple of years, but there’s still a little hope left in me to get excited for this coming year. I think this could be a 2016 level year.

I mean, obviously we all have our feelings about the mazes, and what feels "new" compared to "old" or "obscure" compared to "popular." It's all relative—me and all my friends were stoked for Poltergeist and consider it a major movie, but I also know there were people there who had straight up never heard of it. To some people, Trick r' Treat is super obscure, to others not at all.

Having said that, when I look at the current speculation list two things jump out and make me feel skeptical: 1) Two original mazes, and 2) No further Netflix partnerships. Obviously IPs are IPs and it's not as easy as Murdy saying, "Hey Netflix, give me this," but between the success of the ST maze and the glut of original horror stuff on Netflix (Hill House/Cam/Apostle/Calibre), it seemed like a perfect partnership. If Hill House for sure isn't happening, I have to imagine it wasn't for lack of trying on Universal's side. Popular show, great content for a maze, it makes almost too much sense. And then the original mazes: I've been lectured on the fact that HHN started with originals and I get that, it's fine, but I would bet just about anything I have that the vast majority of people going to HHN Hollywood aren't interest in original mazes. There are other venues in Los Angeles for that stuff. HHN Hollywood—specifically Hollywood—has become famous for bringing movies and shows to life. Having two original mazes will turn a lot of people off, including myself. Sorry if that makes the purists bristle, but it's true.

I also think y'all put too much stock into these speculations. Someone said they had basically the whole list sussed out last year, only to have HHN "re-jigger" things at the last moment. Not sure a massive operation like HHN can "re-jigger" things at the last minute—seems more likely that the rumors were false or the guesses were wrong. I take everything with a grain of salt; doesn't mean speculating isn't fun, but you need that salt!

And for poops and giggles, here's my dream list, with announced mazes incorporated:

1. Stranger Things
2. Universal Monsters
3. Holidayz
4. Us
5. Hill House
6. Halloween (2018)
7. Pet Semetary (1989)

Reactions: DTH
I mean, obviously we all have our feelings about the mazes, and what feels "new" compared to "old" or "obscure" compared to "popular." It's all relative—me and all my friends were stoked for Poltergeist and consider it a major movie, but I also know there were people there who had straight up never heard of it. To some people, Trick r' Treat is super obscure, to others not at all.

Having said that, when I look at the current speculation list two things jump out and make me feel skeptical: 1) Two original mazes, and 2) No further Netflix partnerships. Obviously IPs are IPs and it's not as easy as Murdy saying, "Hey Netflix, give me this," but between the success of the ST maze and the glut of original horror stuff on Netflix (Hill House/Cam/Apostle/Calibre), it seemed like a perfect partnership. If Hill House for sure isn't happening, I have to imagine it wasn't for lack of trying on Universal's side. Popular show, great content for a maze, it makes almost too much sense. And then the original mazes: I've been lectured on the fact that HHN started with originals and I get that, it's fine, but I would bet just about anything I have that the vast majority of people going to HHN Hollywood aren't interest in original mazes. There are other venues in Los Angeles for that stuff. HHN Hollywood—specifically Hollywood—has become famous for bringing movies and shows to life. Having two original mazes will turn a lot of people off, including myself. Sorry if that makes the purists bristle, but it's true.

I also think y'all put too much stock into these speculations. Someone said they had basically the whole list sussed out last year, only to have HHN "re-jigger" things at the last moment. Not sure a massive operation like HHN can "re-jigger" things at the last minute—seems more likely that the rumors were false or the guesses were wrong. I take everything with a grain of salt; doesn't mean speculating isn't fun, but you need that salt!

And for poops and giggles, here's my dream list, with announced mazes incorporated:

1. Stranger Things
2. Universal Monsters
3. Holidayz
4. Us
5. Hill House
6. Halloween (2018)
7. Pet Semetary (1989)

I can almost guarantee the speculated line up is coming. You might not be happy with it but I have strong faith it's correct. Legacy is usually on point with his info. To me, the line up is amazing and something to get excited about.

I can almost guarantee the speculated line up is coming. You might not be happy with it but I have strong faith it's correct. Legacy is usually on point with his info. To me, the line up is amazing and something to get excited about.

I'm in the same position.

Yes, things are "rejiggered"...but we would hear about that. And everything seems to indicate both coast lineups are locked and loaded minus some last minute incident, but that would be one maze at best. The "mystery' this year had went away pretty quickly.

I don't get all the doubt about Ghostbusters as a headliner. It's probably more well known than a lot of HHN headliners. Ghostbusters ain't some cult classic franchise.

...I've been lectured on the fact that HHN started with originals and I get that
...Sorry if that makes the purists bristle, but it's true.

I don't know if you realize how combative you're sounding when you write things like that. I mean, I might even agree with you in spirit, but saying things like that rub me up the wrong way.

Point is, things get changed, but we hear about that happening. If US and Hill House was really coming, we'd hear about it. And the rejiggering started happening around this time last year; maze construction has already started, albeit only for a short time. Trust me when I say that I was adamant that "common sense" properties like IT and The Conjuring were coming last year, and I ate enough crow to fill a decently sized aviary.

Also, another thing: people like Legacy aren't speculating. They have sources. They hear stuff from God knows where and sometimes get it wrong, but they have a much higher batting average than our "logical" speculation.

Can I ask what makes you able to guarantee the speculated lineup, outside of Legacy? I promise that’s a genuine question and not confrontational, I’m a newbie on here so I’m just trying to get all the points of reference, lol. Still lacking a lot of context for how these speculations are generated, other than Legacy, who, from what I can tell, isn’t right 100% of the time.

And for the record, I will attend HHN until I have a reason not to, and this list of mazes, while maybe not majorly hype-inducing for me personally, wouldn’t give me a reason not to. I feel like I’m a diehard at this point.

Can I ask what makes you able to guarantee the speculated lineup, outside of Legacy? I promise that’s a genuine question and not confrontational, I’m a newbie on here so I’m just trying to get all the points of reference, lol. Still lacking a lot of context for how these speculations are generated, other than Legacy, who, from what I can tell, isn’t right 100% of the time.

And for the record, I will attend HHN until I have a reason not to, and this list of mazes, while maybe not majorly hype-inducing for me personally, wouldn’t give me a reason not to. I feel like I’m a diehard at this point.

If you can tell, speculation kind of died down a little bit because the line up is pretty much leaked and what insiders are saying is lining up. I mean, you can wait and see for yourself, when Universal announces them. I'd be shocked if something different pops up.

I see you're new here but these HHN speculations have been going on for sometime now. Put some respect on Legacy's name, he makes the speculation fun and does these clues for us to figure out the houses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Allison

Legacy isn't 100% but he's the closest to 99.9% we got. This year WAS a little funky, but that's been resolved. Legacy has been THE main guy for Orlando for a good few years now, he's worthy of trust. And he's not the only one with the exact lists. Based on past years, I know there's at least one other person who knows it all. Probably a few more. Not everyone speaks up or makes clues, it's just not them.

Legacy, as he's told, worked at HHN Orlando, and has people within that he was close with who are now "higher" in the company long after he left to do other things. That's the basics of his knowledge, and we're likely never gonna get more than that for risk of someone getting in trouble.

Fine, you don't have to "accept" the lineup entirely if ya don't want to, but I just think at this point, it's gonna lead to more disappointment especially if we're throwing out all of this other stuff again.

Reactions: Freak and hhnlover
I don't know if you realize how combative you're sounding when you write things like that. I mean, I might even agree with you in spirit, but saying things like that rub me up the wrong way.

Point is, things get changed, but we hear about that happening. If US and Hill House was really coming, we'd hear about it. And the rejiggering started happening around this time last year; maze construction has already started, albeit only for a short time. Trust me when I say that I was adamant that "common sense" properties like IT and The Conjuring were coming last year, and I ate enough crow to fill a decently sized aviary.

Also, another thing: people like Legacy aren't speculating. They have sources. They hear stuff from God knows where and sometimes get it wrong, but they have a much higher batting average than our "logical" speculation.
Sorry for being combative, that’s definitely not my intent.

So now I am wondering (and again, this is genuine, open curiosity and I am not trying to push back or challenge what anyone is saying), when things change or get “re-jiggered” or just generally end up going a different direction than what was speculated, at what point does that start to play out? If everyone is saying it will be Maze X, based on posts shared by insiders and stuff, if a Maze Y starts to emerge and replace Maze X, does that happen as we get closer to the official announcement? Or ahead of that? Like if Maze X changes to Maze Y.

Or has that process happened already? Is Creepshow, for example, a maze that wasn’t initially speculated but as time has gone on and Legacy has learned more stuff, it’s become a forgone conclusion? Or was there an original thought/idea about a maze, but then something changed and now we know it’s Creepshow? I guess I need to go back and look at all his posts.

So now I am wondering (and again, this is genuine, open curiosity and I am not trying to push back or challenge what anyone is saying), when things change or get “re-jiggered” or just generally end up going a different direction than what was speculated, at what point does that start to play out? If everyone is saying it will be Maze X, based on posts shared by insiders and stuff, if a Maze Y starts to emerge and replace Maze X, does that happen as we get closer to the official announcement? Or ahead of that? Like if Maze X changes to Maze Y.

Or has that process happened already? Is Creepshow, for example, a maze that wasn’t initially speculated but as time has gone on and Legacy has learned more stuff, it’s become a forgone conclusion? Or was there an original thought/idea about a maze, but then something changed and now we know it’s Creepshow? I guess I need to go back and look at all his posts.

For example, in Orlando there were two IP houses that were supposed to come. It was The Conjuring and Scream. They were pretty much locked in and mazes were constructed.

Some falling out and events happened behind the scenes. They then had to do an overlay because they could no longer use those IP’s. Conjuring became The Hive (an original house) and Scream got Purged.

In Orlando, incidents of definite or potential house replacement usually are marked by a major announcement delay.

Back in 2015, Orlando was meant to have an exclusive Scream house based on the original film. Around like June-July, there was a big delay in announcement because Dimension Films ended up pulling Scream out and they had to take the time to put The Purge in instead. This isn't just spec, there was leaked ad material with Ghostface in logos and a full Ghostface HHN25 commercial is out there for anyone to see.

In 2017, there was like a month delay of announcements because Stephen King saw The Shining stuff leaked and got really mad because they put his name on it without his permission. There was a month where they had to resolve that. That same year had The Conjuring get replaced but that never got as far.

And also along with the delay, you'll have people on the forum who are going to be made aware by their people why the delay is happening.

Reactions: MacMillian Crew
In Orlando, incidents of definite or potential house replacement usually are marked by a major announcement delay.

Back in 2015, Orlando was meant to have an exclusive Scream house based on the original film. Around like June-July, there was a big delay in announcement because Dimension Films ended up pulling Scream out and they had to take the time to put The Purge in instead. This isn't just spec, there was leaked ad material with Ghostface in logos and a full Ghostface HHN25 commercial is out there for anyone to see.

In 2017, there was like a month delay of announcements because Stephen King saw The Shining stuff leaked and got really mad because they put his name on it without his permission. There was a month where they had to resolve that. That same year had The Conjuring get replaced but that never got as far.

And also along with the delay, you'll have people on the forum who are going to be made aware by their people why the delay is happening.

Man, you do a better job at explaining things, lol.

Reactions: ChaseTuff

I think I remember a kerfuffle happening with Orlando trying to do Ouija and that also getting Purged.

Theres also the 2018 incident, which @viking_wizard_eyes seems to be referring to the most. Half the lineup got replaced, but that was (from what I remember) mostly because info was based on early drafts of IP wishlists and the actual IP list ended up differing massively. If that was what was happening now, I'm fairly certain the news would've dropped by now.