Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't understand the notion that only coaster enthusiasts ride roller coasters. This is about having a good balance. IoA needed a new top thrill, and JP needed to be refreshed. This is one of the few areas it could tastefully be done out of the way like the Hulk.

In fairness, it remains to be seen exactly how "tasteful" and "out of the way" it's going to be when it's finished.

Well, it does not wrap around River Adventure. But my point was that there's demand for such attractions. With that in mind Universal doesn't have a ton of space, so this would be one of the better options.

Visit Orlando has data showing there is a steep drop off of families visiting Orlando when the kids in the family reach 10 years old. Meaning that the preschool and elementary school demographics are well served but the tweens, teens, and young adult singles and couples demographics are underserved. All the players in the market have seen the data and are now battling it out for those families. Universal feels they can win this round of the theme park wars by offering a cooler more exciting product. It is not a coincidence that all the major players in the market are building more coasters, thrill rides, and themed bars.

Utter nonsense.

If you look at the market leaders in the game, namely Disney - they aren't actively seeking the 'teenage' or 'young adults' market. They are looking for any demographic with disposable income to entertain themselves - which usually means adults with full time employment. A teenager, or a young adult won't have this sort of disposable income to be flying around the world to Orlando, spending money in the parks, eating in the parks restaurants, buying merchandise, etc.

Ideally a park would be a cross blend to suit all demographics.

However, if you go by the succesfull Disney model. It's created for families. Grown adults, with jobs, have disposable income will bring family members - money for flights, hotels, admissions costs, restaurants, drinks, spending in the park. It's not the age, but the disposable income.

For me, this is the key demographic. It's not teenagers or young adults. I assume you use these two demographics as a metaphor for thrill seeking high adrenalin attractions.

You go further down the equation and you have local residents, tourists within America, and international tourists. Each bring their unique needs to the parks. For example, an international tourist compared to a local resident, will take up the option of staying on a Universal Hotel, buy multiple day tickets, spend money in the parks for merchandise, restaurants and more. A local resident would be unlikely to spend that sort of outlay. It's one reason why Disney push their parks so hard in Europe, especially the UK.

Your theory that the parks aren't currently servicing the teenage market is further nonsense. Firstly, not all teenagers want coasters, but yes i would accept they enjoy thrill rides. Universal will have 8 roller coasters in their two parks - that is a massive amount of thrill rides.

There is simply no need for another rollercoaster at this time from Universal, especially when they are neglecting the crucial family market.

If anything, the move for another coaster just smacks of a desperate move to address the 'screen critiscism' they have had. And secondly, the misguided judgment to put any attractions in the parks every year be it good or bad.

Utter nonsense.

If you look at the market leaders in the game, namely Disney - they aren't actively seeking the 'teenage' or 'young adults' market. They are looking for any demographic with disposable income to entertain themselves - which usually means adults with full time employment. A teenager, or a young adult won't have this sort of disposable income to be flying around the world to Orlando, spending money in the parks, eating in the parks restaurants, buying merchandise, etc.

However, if you go by the succesfull Disney model. It's created for families. Grown adults, with jobs, have disposable income will bring family members - money for flights, hotels, admissions costs, restaurants, drinks, spending in the park. It's not the age, but the disposable income.

For me, this is the key demographic. It's not teenagers or young adults. I assume you use these two demographics as a metaphor for thrill seeking high adrenalin attractions.

You go further down the equation and you have local residents, tourists within America, and international tourists. Each bring their unique needs to the parks. For example, an international tourist compared to a local resident, will take up the option of staying on a Universal Hotel, buy multiple day tickets, spend money in the parks for merchandise, restaurants and more. A local resident would be unlikely to spend that sort of outlay. It's one reason why Disney push their parks so hard in Europe, especially the UK.

Your theory that the parks aren't currently servicing the teenage market is further nonsense. Firstly, not all teenagers want coasters, but yes i would accept they enjoy thrill rides. Universal will have 8 roller coasters in their two parks - that is a massive amount of thrill rides.

There is simply no need for another rollercoaster at this time from Universal, especially when they are neglecting the crucial family market.

If anything, the move for another coaster just smacks of a desperate move to address the 'screen critiscism' they have had. And secondly, the misguided judgment to put any attractions in the parks every year be it good or bad.

Where are you getting 8 coasters? I am having a hard time figuring out how you are getting that number.

Plus, what is your reasoning for Disney building 2 more coasters in their parks?

Utter nonsense.

Why do you want Universal to be Disney? Disney is going to do their stuff. Universal will do their own stuff. Universal has openly stated that they do not want to be Disney.

Stating that Universal is building or has too many thrilling roller coasters is just insane. They currently only have 2 "non-themed" coasters (both of which have insanely high GSATs), 3 well-themed dark ride/coaster hybrids in Mummy, Gringotts(more of a dark ride) and Hagrid, and 2 'kiddie' coasters.

If you had access to GSATs of any theme park in the world, you will see that roller coasters are at the top of every list.

Utter nonsense.

And to say that all families don't like coasters is also nonsene.

But anyway, we get it. You don't like coasters. Good for you.

I hate to further any off topic discussion but....
Dark Ride / Screenz: 3 (and all three are of different variety!)
- Spiderman
-FJ
-Kong

Coaster: (and all 3 seem to be of very different variety!)
Hulk
Hagrid
JP

Water Rides: (again, all 3 have very strong differences)
Popeye
JPRA
Ripsaw

Kids Rides
all of Seuss (3) plus FOH and Storm Force (cant wait for the 'IOA has too many kids rides argument' lol)

Not to mention Dr Doom and Poseidon which even further the parks dynamic
as @yankees13 said above, this park is looking to be ridiculously balanced in the coming years.

Now with regards to the JP coaster, and sorry if this has been discussed previously, will this coaster likely have lift hills or rely on launches?

Visit Orlando has data showing there is a steep drop off of families visiting Orlando when the kids in the family reach 10 years old. Meaning that the preschool and elementary school demographics are well served but the tweens, teens, and young adult singles and couples demographics are underserved. All the players in the market have seen the data and are now battling it out for those families. Universal feels they can win this round of the theme park wars by offering a cooler more exciting product. It is not a coincidence that all the major players in the market are building more coasters, thrill rides, and themed bars.

Because after taking a teenager on vacation, you need a themed bar.

And to say that all families don't like coasters is also nonsene.

But anyway, we get it. You don't like coasters. Good for you.

I would also argue that eight coasters across four parks is not a massive amount. In addition, coasters typically have the longest lines even when running at full capacity. So, count me in the camp of "build more coasters!!" Universal/IOA have both really been filling the teenager niche more effectively. Plus, they have added a lot of capacity with all the new rides. Thus, I am ready for Hagrid and this coaster to open (even though it appears that I have a bit of a wait for this one).

Status
Not open for further replies.