Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Fast & Furious: Supercharged - General Discussion

I would like Fallon a lot more personally if Minion Mayhem and Shrek weren’t right next door. But in a vacuum it’s a totally solid attraction with a great queue and some fun live entertainment.

Kong on the other hand is one of the best rides at the resort (IMO)

Do agree, the positioning of some of these attractions does hurt them. Especially that opening bottle neck. A few 'physical' non screen attractions in that bottle neck may ease the screen fatigue.

No agenda. If there were rave reviews for Kong, Fallon, and Furious - can you point me to them?

Kong had mild reviews, Fallon was excused by most as it was a filler and took up little space (still didn't add to great reviews), and well Furious was just hated. All had a universal love for the set up, queuing, but general dislike of the ride systems and over use throughout the parks of screens.
Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon

Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon - 122 Photos & 55 Reviews - Amusement Parks - 6000 Universal Blvd, Dr. Phillips, Orlando, FL - Phone Number - Yelp

Do agree, the positioning of some of these attractions does hurt them. Especially that opening bottle neck. A few 'physical' non screen attractions in that bottle neck may ease the screen fatigue.

Or, you know... A ride that actually meshes modern screen technology and physical sets in a well-crafted manner because it's time we all grow up, realize we aren't living in the 80's anymore and accept that screens and quality are two separate things. That would work to.

Why must a certain select set of peope always chose to push everything as a roller coaster?

To simply state that it could have been a coaster is far more lazier and cheaper than the version they put out. These people do my head in - with literally every IP, they will always swing to the 'make it a coaster' nonsense. Shrek - make it a coaster. Secret Life Of Pets - make it a coaster with inverted loops over and over and over. Minions - make it a coaster that never ends with a 90 degree fall that is repeated over and over again.

I'll agree with you on this: Coasters would be not the answer. I don't trek down to Orlando multiple times per year because of a bunch of coasters. I can get that at Six Flags. I come for the kind of rides, shows and theming that you can't get at a regional park.

And it's also difficult to represent an IP effectively with a traditional coaster.Little room for storytelling. That's why Six Flags theming amounts to "This coaster is purple, so it's The Joker."

I don't really get the sense Fallon is hated. It replaced a Twister attraction that was clearly outdated. It wasn't expected to be (nor is it) an E-ticket level attraction. And yeah, it's another motion simulator, but having an entire grandstand move around is sort of novel. Plus the queue and exterior pays tribute to one of TV's most enduring brands and landmarks.

I don't really get the sense Fallon is hated. It replaced a Twister attraction that was clearly outdated. It wasn't expected to be (nor is it) an E-ticket level attraction. And yeah, it's another motion simulator, but having an entire grandstand move around is sort of novel. Plus the queue and exterior pays tribute to one of TV's most enduring brands and landmarks.

Twister was ageing, but it was a physical ride with a set and props. Universal Studios Singapore have an updated version of Twister that is very cool and could have been bought in to update this.

Instead it was replaced with a screen attraction. And a screen attraction that was pretty mediocre. And it appears it was deliberatley medicore - ie, it didn't even attempt to go to Flight Of Passage levels.

Twister was ageing, but it was a physical ride with a set and props. Universal Studios Singapore have an updated version of Twister that is very cool and could have been bought in to update this.

Instead it was replaced with a screen attraction. And a screen attraction that was pretty mediocre. And it appears it was deliberatley medicore - ie, it didn't even attempt to go to Flight Of Passage levels.
Calling Twister a “ride” is a stretch.

Twister was also a pretty old movie that less and less people probably knew about, and Fallon/The Tonight Show is pretty popular. Universal seems to want more attractions for popular/fresh properties, which can sometimes lead to a misfire, as they're trying to quickly capitalize on said property (Fast and Furious). Fallon is a good replacement as it can be easily changed out for new hosts or a new property, and is widely appealing.

Lights Camera Action in Singapore - updated version of Twister. Presented at the start by Speilberg. Really loved it.

LCA003.jpg

Lights Camera Action in Singapore - updated version of Twister. Presented at the start by Speilberg. Really loved it.

LCA003.jpg

Yeah... Ok, it's a good show but it's based on Twister. A mediocre disaster movie at a time (the mid-90s) where a film's effects we're more important than the characters, story and basically everything else. Well yes, great attractions can come from bad properties (Hello, Waterworld!), i think i'd prefer it if Universal give a series of great well-crafted action films a second chance than revert to a old and tired film from a dark era in cinema's history.

Sure Arjy, this may not please your love for physical sets and your hatred for the first two letters and coaster paint just like how the 90's film industry had a fetish for disaster films and a distaste for... every other genre. That viewpoint became self-defeated and led to a decade of garbage summer films with the occassional rare exception. But then cinema overcame that obsession, broadened it's horizons and surprise surprise, great things came from it. Sixth Sense, Spiderman, Slumdog Millionaire, LOTR, Toy Story, Shrek, The Matrix and many, many more to come in the 2000s.

So maybe you should take the same path Arjy. Expand your viewpoint, Rethink your own opinions and accept that Physical Sets is a essential tool and not the toolbox itself. If you do that, maybe you'll be able to broaden your horizons and find joy in Universal rides you previously disliked, even if they aren't 100% physical. Maybe then, you can look at a highly-themed immersive coaster with little screen technology being built in Hogsmeade and instead of nitpicking, you can say to yourself: "Wow. Great things can come to the parks again." Just a thought. Also yes, i do know too much about movies.

Yeah... Ok, it's a good show but it's based on Twister. A mediocre disaster movie at a time (the mid-90s) where a film's effects we're more important than the characters, story and basically everything else. Well yes, great attractions can come from bad properties (Hello, Waterworld!), i think i'd prefer it if Universal give a series of great well-crafted action films a second chance than revert to a old and tired film from a dark era in cinema's history.

Sure Arjy, this may not please your love for physical sets and your hatred for the first two letters and coaster paint just like how the 90's film industry had a fetish for disaster films and a distaste for... every other genre. That viewpoint became self-defeated and led to a decade of garbage summer films with the occassional rare exception. But then cinema overcame that obsession, broadened it's horizons and surprise surprise, great things came from it. Sixth Sense, Spiderman, Slumdog Millionaire, LOTR, Toy Story, Shrek, The Matrix and many, many more to come in the 2000s.

So maybe you should take the same path Arjy. Expand your viewpoint, Rethink your own opinions and accept that Physical Sets is a essential tool and not the toolbox itself. If you do that, maybe you'll be able to broaden your horizons and find joy in Universal rides you previously disliked, even if they aren't 100% physical. Maybe then, you can look at a highly-themed immersive coaster with little screen technology being built in Hogsmeade and instead of nitpicking, you can say to yourself: "Wow. Great things can come to the parks again." Just a thought. Also yes, i do know too much about movies.

This is going to make this thread go off topic, so I'm going to end it after this comment.

Although I understand the purpose of your comment, you have some things wrong about movies.

2000s have as much if not more disaster films than the 90s. Disaster films didn't start til the late 90s. Armageddon, and Deep Impact, Independence Day, Twister were all 1996 or later.

Some of the films you listed came out in the 90s. Sixth Sense, Toy Story, and The Matrix and around the same time as those disaster films.

Also great movies like Forest Gump, The Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, Saving Private Ryan (to list a few) were also box office hits that came out in the 90s.

There is not one decade, even our current decade where there isn't bad box office movies mixed in with some with quality. To point out the 90s as a bad era is incorrect.
There are also some great disaster films, Independence Day, Air Force One, Executive Decision, and Titanic.
Sharknado came out in 2000s.
There are ups and downs of every decade and every genre.

Ok, fair enough. I may have accidentally have mentioned all of the 90's when i should have said it was more the last 7 years + the beginning of the new millennium. Yes, i did leave out Private Ryan and Shawshank because they we're oscar-nominated dramas when my story was about summer films. Yes, Sharknado is a thing.

Listen, we can nitpick the narrative example i gave you all you want. Be my guest. But i know why you're doing it. Your purposefully distracting from the core argument in my story which is that when you put yourself in a narrow mindset where rides can only have these elements and anything that contrasts with those elements are terrible, you only end up damaging yourself. It allows you to look a gifted horse in the mouth and call it garbage because "it goes from A to B" or whatever that means. All your perfectionist viewpoint does is ruin good things for yourself and rain on other people's parade.

Shoot, i just realized the nitpick came from someone else. The point still stands however.

Kong on the other hand is one of the best rides at the resort (IMO)

Bold choice.

I like it.

I feel like they could almost retheme this to Hobbs & Shaw - an easy way to pull in the existing actors and throw a different plot in. (Of course, the movie could tank - but it's a buddy cop style film. It should be at least a popcorn film.)