Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HBO's Game of Thrones

^ excuse me, but that article was “get a life!”. To get paid to yap on with such nonsense or call it over-sense. Geepers, it is just a novel! Geepers, it is just a tv series, and trying to view it through the lens of 2019 culture is just a bunch of bunk.

I hated the second season of Westworld and I turned it off and cancelled my subscription. I don’t feel so compelled with this show. I find it entertaining.

BUT, I still just want to know where a dragon could harbor so much fuel for so much fire. That part was a bit over the top for me. :)

I wonder if so many people would still be upset about Daenerys's actions had the books been finished by now and they knew it was coming.

I'm convinced most of what we saw will come from Book 6. Dani will destroy "Dothraki City", lose a dragon to Euron (thru the Dragon Horn, not a well placed bolt) but eventually burn the Ironborn fleet, and end up burning Kings Landing and the Gold Company (but while fighting "fake Aegon," not Cersi). The horn and the wildfire under KL are Chekov's guns that need to come into play.

Early on, GRRM wanted to do two trilogies with a time jump between them. Books 4/5 are really Book 1 of that trilogy--Book 6 is going to be its Empire Strikes Back. A lot of bad stuff happens, the hero is tempted by evil. And in typical GRRM fashion, the protagonist actually goes to the Dark Side.

That leaves Book 7 with a somewhat shady Dani--her actions will probably seem slightly more justified in the book--heading north to make the Starks bend the knee/fight the Others, just as Jon learns of his lineage. The conflict between them becomes more organic, and Dani's heel turn is given a more realistic timeline.

Did he ever describe in the books how one could look at a knife or sword and know that it was valyrian steel so quickly?
I assume it has something to do with the weight. That’s a common way engineers use to easily distinguish between metals. Valyrian Steel is probably a strong alloy of steel with a recognizable weight. Also, the color may be different from other common steels (more reflective, yellower) or it may be easier to shape causing a sharper edge.

TL;DR: IDK, but there are ways.

I assume it has something to do with the weight. That’s a common way engineers use to easily distinguish between metals. Valyrian Steel is probably a strong alloy of steel with a recognizable weight. Also, the color may be different from other common steels (more reflective, yellower) or it may be easier to shape causing a sharper edge.

TL;DR: IDK, but there are ways.

There might be runes in the final blade as well? I can't remember exactly, but it does seem to be instantly recognizable.

From the wiki.

"Aside from its sharpness, Valyrian steel is recognizable by its strength and light weight in comparison to ordinary steel[1], as well as by a distinctive rippled pattern visible in blades made from it.[2] "

From the wiki.

"Aside from its sharpness, Valyrian steel is recognizable by its strength and light weight in comparison to ordinary steel[1], as well as by a distinctive rippled pattern visible in blades made from it.[2] "
Wow I was closer than I thought.

That ripple in the real world would be caused by a metal that’s difficult to shape as I mentioned above.

Watching #GameOfThronesFinale it seems that a lot of people hope and expect a just and happy ending with Sansa being the ruler of them all.

Is Dany the only antagonist left?

Watching #GameOfThronesFinale it seems that a lot of people hope and expect a just and happy ending with Sansa being the ruler of them all.

Is Dany the only antagonist left?

I suspect they will be dissapointed if expecting a happy ending (and seriously have have they not been watching the show?!?)

I'll be content with a satisfying ending, although that's a big ask in 80 minutes and following eps 4 and 5.

Re Dany, I would assume nothing!

Interesting video regarding the cast's reaction to the series finale. It sums up what I think most are expecting. It won't satisfy everyone and will result in just about every type of reaction possible.

They were totally able to stick the landing for me.

If I were to have made a list of things I wanted to have happen, this episode delivered many of them, and even some things I didn’t know I wanted.

About 50% of the individual plot resolutions were satisfying (Sansa, Arya, Daenerys) to me. The overall big-picture tie-up... nope.

It's sad to have to say that, and I really wanted and hoped not to have to, but it's true. After eras and eras of war over who rules the seven kingdoms, we end up with a happy little committee of everyone's favourite pals and the lords just decide not to fight over who rules it any more? Of all the 'betrayals' people have talked about in character arcs this season, this is the biggest betrayal of the lot to the actual ethos of the story. They had to, had to, go with the circularity route. It should have all been poised to start again, despite everything that's happened.

So what was the point of Jon being the rightful heir? Setting up that tension and teasing it for 5 episodes, only to have it only brought up once at this beginning of this episode by Tyrion? I don't care that he didn't get the Throne, but at least don't omit a major plot point and skip around it to close up the arcs.

This season fails because it was rushed, and it is painfully obvious in this episode.

So what was the point of Jon being the rightful heir? Setting up that tension and teasing it for 5 episodes, only to have it only brought up once at this beginning of this episode by Tyrion? I don't care that he didn't get the Throne, but at least don't omit a major plot point and skip around it to close up the arcs.

This season fails because it was rushed, and it is painfully obvious in this episode.
Oh my god preach tonight brian. I am not joking when i say "IT FEELS LIKE THEY DIDN'T CARE"

A few other thoughts which I'm too tired / confused to elaborate fully right now:

-- One *good* thing was that I really liked Jon's uncertainty over killing Daenerys. Even before they had to play the obvious card and spell it out in his dialogue with Tyrion, you could tell in the seconds afterwards he really wasn't sure if he'd done the right thing or not. Very well acted from Kit Harrington especially given he must have been asleep for 90% of filming given the material he's had to work with.
-- While I'm feeling positive the parting shot with the Unsullied sailing for Naarth gave a nice unspoken uptick to Daenerys' legacy right at the very end: after everything we saw, that last scene was of an entire army of people who were free for the first time because of her.

Ok now I've got my being sympathetic out of the way.
-- What on earth is up with Greyworm. I just don't even understand.
-- Wasted death for Daenerys (why did she have to die literally instantaneously when so many characters have remained alive long enough to deliver a parting oration after being despatched)
-- Jon returning to the Night's Watch and literally transitioning from standing in the throne room of the Red Keep to being an absolute nobody in the space of half an episode
-- Totally unnecessary visual borrowings from other 'big' franchises -- namely Daenerys' speech being so Gleeson in front of the First Order from The Force Awakens, and having Jon sail North instead of ride just to ape the LOTR Grey Havens farewell scene
-- Overuse of the 'silence-is-more-dramatic-than-music' trope wasted Ramin Djawadi who is one of their absolute biggest assets

Uhhhhh.