The Invisible Man | Inside Universal Forums

The Invisible Man

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
As it now has a proper release date, it should be fitting now to properly give it a thread of it's own~

The first endeavor of a Blumhouse incarnation of the Universal Studios Monsters, has been given a release date; as The Invisible Man hits theaters on March 13th, 2020.

The film will be written and directed by Leigh Whanell, as Elisabeth Moss and Storm Reid join the cast.

I don't know why the trades are now acting like plot details are scant. Deadline published its synopsis a week ago with the casting news.

Anyway, yes, it has a typical Blumhouse turnaround. It's an intimate film consistent in scale with those budgets/Leigh's other work. I believe Kong v Godzilla is going to get pushed a bit.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
Thinner did it.

Ehh, different context and nothing's truly original. I dig it, simple and elegant.

I have to admit, a part of me is truly rooting for this franchise.

Same here. I really hope this leads to the Andy Muschietti Frankenstein movie that they were gonna make before Uni greenlit the Mummy instead.

I was also wondering if this could be Blumhouse's ticket into bringing international indie directors into their brand, like how Marvel's been doing with Taika Waititi? Maybe bring in an Egyptian writer/director for the Mummy, some British or Eastern European talent for the more Gothic stuff, or maybe Latin American horror directors like Demian Rugna or Adrian Garcia Bogliano (actually he's Spanish) for a really gory, funky Wolfman or Creature from the Black Lagoon movie. Del Toro also, but he's probably too big for Blumhouse at this point.

You know, I don't find it..too impossible, considering Blumhouse has Chris Columbus for FNAF.

It'd be hard, sure, but I'd kind-of see Blumhouse potentially reaching out to him in regards to the UCM.

Could be! Del Toro made Shape of Water for $20m, plus he's worked under major budget constraints before. Still, I feel like it'll be a little while before the Monsters Cinematic Universe attracts the major talent.

Just want to point out regarding these projects, the main reason why the big push for The Invisible Man was because it was not just Blumhouse saying oh this sounds great, Universal heads Donna Langley and the rest of the time really like the pitch too.

So while yes Blumhouse can court directors, Universal still has a voice to veto a certain project/director for not fitting and I think they would avoid Taika because he hasn't actually made a serious dramatic film yet and additionally, I think they would want to avoid their property being used in a humorous manner.

Just want to point out regarding these projects, the main reason why the big push for The Invisible Man was because it was not just Blumhouse saying oh this sounds great, Universal heads Donna Langley and the rest of the time really like the pitch too.

So while yes Blumhouse can court directors, Universal still has a voice to veto a certain project/director for not fitting and I think they would avoid Taika because he hasn't actually made a serious dramatic film yet and additionally, I think they would want to avoid their property being used in a humorous manner.

While I'd love to see Taika take on a comedy-splatter a la Braindead, that wasn't really what I was saying. I was moreso saying that Blumhouse could discover and cultivate a huge pool of international talent using the Universal Monsters as an excuse, similar to how Marvel helped make Taika a big name. It seems they're being given a pretty broad mandate to bring in new talent, so I can't imagine finding an interesting Egyptian director for the Mummy or a Romani director for the Wolfman would be kiboshed by Uni HQ.

And also, it'll probably help Uni hold on to the talent they helped cultivate, which they've had issues with. Both Andy Muschietti and James Wan had big successes released by Uni, but have since moved on to Warner Brothers. Jordan Peele and now, Leigh Whannell, are pretty damn good gets, but Universal Monsters feels like an opportunity to really widen the net on what kind of talent they attract.

Last edited:
Reactions: Magic-Man
New synopsis:

"The film centers on Cecilia Kass (Elisabeth Moss), a woman trapped in a violent, controlling relationship with a wealthy and brilliant scientist. She escapes in the dead of night and disappears into hiding, aided by her sister (Harriet Dyer), their childhood friend (Aldis Hodge) and his teenage daughter (Storm Reid). But when Cecilia’s abusive ex (Oliver Jackson-Cohen) commits suicide and leaves her a generous portion of his vast fortune, Cecilia suspects his death was a hoax. As a series of eerie coincidences turn lethal, threatening the lives of those she loves, Cecilia’s sanity begins to unravel as she desperately tries to prove that she is being hunted by someone nobody can see."

I'm relieved the titular character is still a mad scientist!

Interesting that they don't name him. I'm guessing he's got to be Griffin, the name from the original Wells story.

New synopsis:

"The film centers on Cecilia Kass (Elisabeth Moss), a woman trapped in a violent, controlling relationship with a wealthy and brilliant scientist. She escapes in the dead of night and disappears into hiding, aided by her sister (Harriet Dyer), their childhood friend (Aldis Hodge) and his teenage daughter (Storm Reid). But when Cecilia’s abusive ex (Oliver Jackson-Cohen) commits suicide and leaves her a generous portion of his vast fortune, Cecilia suspects his death was a hoax. As a series of eerie coincidences turn lethal, threatening the lives of those she loves, Cecilia’s sanity begins to unravel as she desperately tries to prove that she is being hunted by someone nobody can see."

I'm relieved the titular character is still a mad scientist!

Interesting that they don't name him. I'm guessing he's got to be Griffin, the name from the original Wells story.
The only character they named is the star.